DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

FYI for trivia

longtime voice-over director Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who also voices Julia in the English version of Cowboy Bebop, was the voice of Governor Pryce for the premiere.  She's also the girlfriend of Steven Blum aka Zeb aka Spike Spiegel.

Thought I recognized her voice. Didn't realize she was divorced and dating to Blum now. Always pleased to hear her in shows.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 3:21 PM, Craig H said:

Does it go into Leia begging and pleading the Republic to do something, anything about the First Order or how the Republic lets the Resistance do it's thing so Leia stays out of their hair?

I mean, knowing the backstory to the Republic, it's hard to feel that bad about them getting wiped out (although I still feel bad for how many innocent people had to die). They had for-fucking-ever to do something about the First Order. Instead, the Empire fell, they fought them back to the outer rim, and were like, "we're good here, no evil will EVER return." Meanwhile, Poe, Leia, and others point out repeatedly the kind of problem the First Order is and the Republic's response is to stick their fingers in their ears.

And the Republic was basically financing the Resistance off the books, right? I wonder what happens with that going forward? Maybe Leia chokes out a bunch of Hutts and embezzles money from them?

Poe is the one begging and pleading with them to do something. He's repeatedly warned off and told to be a nice, quiet government employee. 

Leia is (vaguely) tolerated and has some respect because of who she is and her history - she gets a meeting with Poe as soon as she asks - but she's clearly not valued too much either.

The funding question is interesting. The First Order seems to think they are funding them, hence their actions in the movie. But The Republic spend most of the time rolling their eyes at the Resistance and treating them like a black sheep.  

I read a couple of issues of the Poe Dameron comic: It's implied The Resistance have money and resources, but not that much money and resources. I think the Republic helped them out a little. But they weren't enthusiastic and thought it was a waste of their time. 

I know we have a books thread (which is weird for a wrestling board) but... is there a good site/list anywhere with authorized books (preferably not comics) under the new canon? I fell behind with the books before, and since they are released so quickly its hard to catch-up once behind so I'd like to stay current this time.

Edit: I guess I could trust wikipedia, although I'd rather it be from something that can't be edited by just anyone. Also if there are any sites that review/recommend such books I'd be interested in that too, as already there have been more than I thought.

Member when the action figures cost $3.88 at Toys R Us?

I member!

(I actually remember that specific price because GI Joes cost the exact same amount and so that information sticks with me like glue for some reason.)

• Like 3

We were dumb when we were kids.   The Death Star playset seemed epic when you're twelve years old.

header.jpg

Then you grow up and get smart about architecture and engineering and realize that the set up for the Death Star playset is all wrong..

Why the fuck is the Garbage Masher easily accessible from the Master Firing Station via a fucking trap door? 

Was this thing built by the same engineers that built ships for the Trade Federation?

My kid brother chewed up all of the foam bricks that went into the garbage masher.  I couldn't beat the shit out of him because it was Christmas, so I stole one of his Micronauts.

• Like 3

Yeah, but compared to Castle Greyskull, it was the shit. The Ghostbusters HQ is still the best. Ghostbusters HQ > GI Joe HQ > Death Star > Castle Greyskull.

And while not a "base," I had fond memories of the Millennium Falcon.

• Like 1

Reports are that Zoe Kravitz, Naomi Scott and Tessa Thompson are the short list for the female lead in the Han Solo movie

All 3 have read for the part

Donald Glover remains "in the lead" to play Lando

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, but compared to Castle Greyskull, it was the shit. The Ghostbusters HQ is still the best. Ghostbusters HQ > GI Joe HQ > Death Star > Castle Greyskull.

And while not a "base," I had fond memories of the Millennium Falcon.

Where do you stand on Snake Mountain?

I forgot about that. I vaguely remember it. I may or may not have had it.

The M.A.S.K. Boulder Hill base is another I had that I have fond memories of. Looking back at all of these makes me think that toys were way fucking cooler when we were kids. Now toys are more expensive and not nearly as cool.

• Like 3

True story: When "Return of the Jedi" came out, my friends and I were all big fans of Danger Mouse and in that show Colonel K always used the British slang term 'boffin' to refer to scientists, so when "Jedi" came out we all assumed that Mon Mothma had said "boffin" not "Bothan" and thought she meant a bunch of scientists had stolen the plans for the second Death Star.

With the EU being declared non-canon, and Shadows of the Empire revealing that Bothans are blue skinned aliens, we still don't know what the hell a Bothan is.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, Kuetsar said:

Have to add in a shout out to the Castle of Lions from Voltron as well. Did anyone here ever get the GI joe aircraft carrier, because that thing was insane(not that I ever got my mitts on one. . .)

No because my parents wouldn't allow it.  I had everything from the spaceships to the vehicles but that damn carrier was so fucking big my parents said no way is that going in your room.

• Like 1

How bad is it that I'm WAAAY more hyped for Rogue One than Episode VIII?  Mostly because it looks like the guys doing Rogue One payed more care to the overall story than Episode VII's hamfisted setup to do a love letter to Episode IV.

• Like 2