DVDVR Message Board

Teach me about: Davey Richards

I like Davey. Flat out. I acknowledge of his flaws and like him anyway, mostly because a lot of his detractors say "That spot makes no sense in front of 200 people in a tiny gym!" For me, it's like telling someone they shouldn't act as well in an independent film. 

Being an "intense" actor won't put you in a wheelchair.

I feel like people are just looking for any reason to hate on Richards.  Being a minor-league gridiron football player trying to get into the big leagues (or even just for the love of the game) will be worse on you than a highspot indy wrestler.  Wrestling probably has more awareness of the dangers, both physically and mentally, that the work can put on you thanks the last decade and a half of wrestler deaths/tragedies; look no further than how vilified chairshots to the heads have become, where fans will actively show their displeasure with it when 15 years ago it was one of the most beloved spots in the sport.

Davey Richards and people getting it the ring with Davey Richards know what's going on, and despite being a reported asshole, he's never developed a reputation for taking liberties with other wrestlers.  Probably the most upsetting thing about Richards, aside from psychology fundamentalists, is that he seems to be following a Benoit-like career path.

If someone wants to risk their health doing something they loves, why the fuck would anyone hate on them for that?

Davey Richards and people getting it the ring with Davey Richards know what's going on, and despite being a reported asshole, he's never developed a reputation for taking liberties with other wrestlers.  Probably the most upsetting thing about Richards, aside from psychology fundamentalists, is that he seems to be following a Benoit-like career path.

What do you mean by following a Benoit-like career path? I've heard this kind of used, like because Davey wrestles some bastardization of a Benoit style that he will become him, but that's just an assumption and I want it clarified so I can think on it. The Benoit/DK stuff doesn't really bother me, other than he seemingly lacks any understanding of what they were doing.

• Like 1

What do you mean by following a Benoit-like career path? I've heard this kind of used, like because Davey wrestles some bastardization of a Benoit style that he will become him, but that's just an assumption and I want it clarified so I can think on it. The Benoit/DK stuff doesn't really bother me, other than he seemingly lacks any understanding of what they were doing.

I'm referring mostly to the Dynamite Kid worship.