DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BARRY HOUSTON

RIPPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86_MGuco7GA

Nip up better, Barry Houston. He got such crazy height on the back body drop though. His comeback at the end where he was on the second rope and kept trying to punch the Bully in the neck was pretty spirited too, and he died well for his sin. Man people who hate Barry Darsow flat out stink. He played the Bully great. He just mangled that arm and he clubbered the hell out of Houston when he wasn't. He was also really good at jawing in a match and playing pissed off after the babyface gets one up on him. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isd1n83in0I

Match from a month earlier. In this one, Darsow just beats the hell out of him to start, including this great catch a cross body/drape over the top rope/clubber spot. Then he starts on the arm. Houston takes a nasty bump through the second/third ropes to the outside, landing at the feet of Meng. Poor bastard. Then Darsow just grinds his face into the floor. Darsow hit the corner hard on a reversal at the end, but when Houston went for the monkey flip he just guzzled him for an awesome choke slam spine buster. Darsow totally ate him up here but must have liked working with him enough that he gave him at least a little more in the match above that was aired a month later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjfIvnVfmc

Oh Barry, you poor bastard. Sullivan actually gives him a ton at first, but the second the sunset flip doesn't work you just shake your head knowing what's coming. There's another great bump through the ropes, a lame posting, and then actually, it's not that brutal after that. A nice chop or two. A great tree of woe and a nasty double stomp. He got off lucky past that bump. 

SPECIAL BONUS: This has my favorite DDP+Maxx+Kimberly skit. Look at Kim carry those golf clubs. High comedy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-W6BPDruY

Well this is different. I think Houston eats some of the armdrags really well and at one point he gets kicked off and somehow turns it into a face first bump that looks really good. He hits one really good punch, too and this crazy Evan Karagious level reverse cross body off the second rope from the apron to the outside. Lynn does a great job as a base for it. The bump off the dropkick while mounting the ropes is sort of hilarious but from a health perspective I'm glad he didn't take his usual sort of bump for that. Then he barely catches JL at all, after Lynn almost falls off the top rope (Dusty: "For a minute, he looked like the leaning tower of Pisa. He was teeter-tottering. He was teeter-tottering. He was teeter-tottering then Bam!"). Couple of nice dropkicks by JL, one into the corner, one off the top and then Houston kicks out a Northern Lights Suplex after a reversal exchange. Good for him. He goes for it again and JL turns it into a pretty uncontrolled sit out Power Bomb for the win. This was definitely a match. 

wait a week or so, one guy who is uploading this stuff is now in early November (the shows on the week after Havoc 95). So he should be uploading that match soon enough

I am a little disappointed that the must see Houston vs. Jushin Liger match isn't online in the usual spots.

I soo want to see the Lyger match again.  I wonder if the Koji Kanemoto/Scott Armstrong proto-Junior Strong Style is anywhere.

I made a Singles Going Steady comp tape just for myself off the perm tapes that have all these matches on it.

I really need to get off my lazy ass and start ripping them off said DVD

• Like 1

I admit up front this is not fair to Mr. Houston:

On the main page, I could read "WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BARRY" and Houston was cut off completely, so I thought this was going to Barry fucking Windham, and now I am unreasonably disappointed.

I actually think Houston is a guy that would have done fairly well if he came along ten years later or ten years earlier. He could totally be a #3 babyface in Kansas City or Alabama or a Southern Rocker or something. And he could definitely fill that Hurricane John Walters role too. 

I can't embed the Liger match but it can still be watched at the link up the page.

Yeah - I have a rip that I can put on Youtube... just for some reason my converter doesn't want to do more than the first 2 or 3 seconds.

As I said - that will be an issue for tomorrow.

the guy uploading 1995 WCW just uploaded two 11/18 Worldwide Matches (Eddy v. Buck Quartermain, Meng squash), so I suspect he'll have the Liger match up soon enough when he gets to the Pro. Kinda sucks that these matches have Sonny Oono doing 1940s Looney Tunes level Japanese talk as part of the commentary. But oh well, Sonny was the guy lucky enough to know Bischoff.

Dear Lord, I used to have the Lyger / Houston assbeating on tape.  The destruction of the Southern Posse at the hands of Chono and Sasaki was also must see television.

Did the Southern Posse get fed to Chono/Sasaki and Saito/Sasaki, because Saito/Sasaki is up right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbj41UtOTc

• Like 1