DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

These are my best of/year end awards.

Oooh, I'll play along

BEST SHOW: WWE NXT.  Gives me real late 80s/early 90s wrestling flashbacks in that you have one 1 hour show, various angles pushed forward, squash matches and interesting characters

BEST WRESTLER: Daniel Bryan.  That whole summer-long run with the ever-increasing crowd reaction building all the way to the Summerslam match was totally fascinating and entertaining with good matches every week.  Even the Orton-Bryan run started out okay until WWE intentionally/accidentally made Big Show into the biggest star of the feud.

BEST MATCH: I actually haven't bothered to get around to most of the consensus MOTY matches (Punk-Lesnar, Bryan-Cena, etc. etc.) but I'm not sure I enjoyed a match as much this year as I enjoyed Sami Zayn-Bo Dallas.  What worked for me here, versus the other Zayn performances, is that the NXT crowd GENUINELY hates Bo Dallas.  Not in a *winkwink* "We "hate" Antonio Cesaro...we reallly love him" way but in a Smark-rage-against-the-machine way and so every time it looked like Dallas was going to sneak out a win the crowd was just so worked up, then when it looked like Zayn was about to win, they were even more over-the-top insane.

FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Enzo Amore and Big Cass (Or is it Kass?!).  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not sure there's a guy in WWE outside of Cena and Rock who can work a crowd with such ease and have them hang on every word as Amore.  If WWE brings these two in exactly as they are, gimmick and catchphrases and t-shirts intact, they could be really huge, provided they don't break them up too early.

MOST IMPROVED: Bo Dallas.  He was competent as bland fired-up babyface, but nothing special.  But a funny thing happened when the NXT crowd turned on him and started booing him, he developed into one of the best characters in WWE-land.  An obnoxious heel who thinks he's a face, and is completely oblivious to the fans booing him.  In that regard, he reminds me a lot of early Paragon of Virtue Chris Jericho but not funny, so there's no danger of him turning himself face by accident.

WORST SHOW: Impact.  I tried to get into it.  Lord help me, I tried.  Once I got a DVR I started recording it but it just...does not work for me.  I don't think the best wrestlers (Roode, Aries, Joe?) are all that great, I can't get into the angles, I out-and-out hate and cannot stand to watch a good number of folks (Anderson, ODB, Sabin) and I can't really tell any of the non-Gail Kim, ODB, Tapia knockouts apart.  And they have the worst announcing team, by far, in professional wrestling.  Yes, worse than when WWE teams up Tom Phillips (who basically seems to know nothing about wrestling) and Alex Riley.  I stopped DVRing it...btw.

WORST WRESTLER: Brodus Clay.  I dunno, I just can't quite put the Miz here, though he's been justifiably shitty as he's been misused this year as the world's least convincing face, then turned, then turned back, and possibly turned again but I'm not quite sure.  Brodus is kind of a blackhole of dancing and 3-4 same moves over and over.  Brodus is just kinda shitty.  Not the worst, but a guy they could replace tomorrow and no one would notice.

WORST CHARACTER: ODB.  I just cannot stand her.  I don't like the way she bumps, I don't like any of her moves, I hate her character.  She was part of one of the single dumbest spots I saw all year (Taking off her bra to choke somebody with and not being able to get it off and having another bra underneath...What the hell was that!?) and I've never enjoyed one of her matches.

MOST UN-IMPROVED: (Is there an opposite of 'Most Improved', like guy who took the biggest step backward?) The Miz.  The Miz looked like he was getting there: obnoxious and over-bearing on the mic, competent in the ring, good seller, lots of fun with an enjoyable moveset (The clothesline into the corner that leaves him sitting there looking smarmy and that awesome DDT-the-guy-from-his-knees move) and you really felt that as long as he's in there with someone better, he'd be a perfectly serviceable upper-tier heel for a long time.  Then 2013 came and...oof.  From the completely pointless face turn (I don't care how nice of a guy he is purportedly in real life, that guy is meant to be booed) to the misguided Ric Flair passing the torch to him angle, to his recent heel turn that wasn't really a heel turn because he had a movie coming out, it's just been a bad, bad year for him.  He needs a complete repackaging before he turns into Billy Gunn: a perfectly acceptable wrestler who the fans just turn on and finds himself out of work.

Miz never really recovered from when they teased making a super couple with him and Maryse only for the WWE to have Miz dump her on tv (it did give us that hilarious clip of Maryse with her fuck me eyes as he was doing it).

The Miz is so much better as an obnoxious asshole. Right now I don't know what the hell they are doing with him. It was reported creative turned him heel but totally forgot he had the Christmas Bounty movie coming out at the same time. Miz's biggest problem is he needs someone to bounce off of. He would be great in a stable or at least in a tag team again.

Sorry, but his best was that post-Wrestlemania IC Title match with Barret.

Miz had his career match this year. 

That is a huge testament to the skill of Antonio Cesaro. 

Miz's career match was still the couple against Jerry Lawler.

RE Miz: So, Miz is only good in matches if he is going to job (or almost job) to people he should be losing to anyway?

RE Jarrett: I wish the WWE would scoop him up to teach people how to be babyfaces. I am talking real likeabe, punch like its your last shot kinda babyfaces. Not this modern "The internet thinks I am cool, so I am going to do things the internet thinks is cool" bullshit.

• Like 1

My top 10 Best things of the year in no particular order:

The Rhodes Brothers

Roman Reigns spear

Antonio Cesaro

Daniel Bryan

Ishii vs. Shibata from the G1

The Steve Austin Show

The Wyatts

Grado / Colt Cabana videos from Scotland

Post WM Raw

Brock Lesnar

Honorable mentions go to Konnan on the MLW podcast, Drake Younger in PWG and Bully Ray.

• Like 3

Yeah, I realize Undertaker did more than just the one match, but how cool would it be to work a total of about two weeks a year at your job and be done for the year? "Well, see you guys next year."

I think he did do that in 2011 and 2012, right?

A case could be made for the US title matches against DB.  Or was that the IC title?

A case could be made for the US title matches against DB.  Or was that the IC title?

They were the US title, and honestly they weren't that memorable even in Miz's career, let alone Bryan's.

Miz's career best performance was his I Quit match vs. Cena at Over The Limit 2011.  Part of this was Cena being the inde-fucking-fatigable hero, but it wasn't a total carry job by any means.  Miz and Riley had control for around 80% of the time and looked as if they enjoyed every inch of hurt that they laid at Cena's door.  Miz even loses a battle of words with some little kid planted at ringside.  It was a bit of a bullshit finish but that was no fault of his, that was a performance anyone could have been proud of.  Top quality villainy.

I remember really liking the one where DB won the title, but that might be why. It was one of Bryan's first showcase matches.

I actually really like the post-WM Barrett match too. I was set on skipping over it at the time, but it drew me in.