DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Ending the streak would bring an unbearable amount of expectation for whomever did it. How would you live up to the hype after that? A skilful writer could maybe do something with that but WWE creative would have the guy lose the next night on Raw.

I'm suggesting this scenario for years. Have someone debut the night after Wrestlemania on Raw and give him the Goldberg push for the entire next year. Let him go through the entire roster.

Then one year later it's on, Streak vs. Streak.

Of course that was before they completely wasted the Goldberg push on Ryback.

It's a shame Edge lost at WrestleMania 23 the year before he faced The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXIV. Prior to WrestleMania 23, Edge was undefeated at WrestleMania. I watched The Undertaker vs. Edge at WrestleMania XXIV not long ago and it's one of the best matches either man has ever had, it's a top five match from The Streak.

I probably did a horrible job of making my point.  It's not so much whether or not the guys were legit badasses, it's that you believed they were.  Because no one took any shit.  It's more about presentation than anything else.  Guys back then were projected as guys you don't want to fuck with, and everyone felt legit.  Now it seems like everyone is pretending to be all of that.  I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to really illustrate what I'm getting at, but it makes sense in my head lol.

I think I understand what you meant.  My last paragraph was dedicated to the pet peeve of mine and not the overall idea.  Still, I think Cena / Orton / Punk / Bryan / Sheamus / Triple H / Del Rio is roughly as legitimately-tough-seeming as any other period.  In fact, with the distinct lack of big fatsos, it might be even better than it was before.  I distinctly remember as a kid being almost offended that they expected me to think that Tugboat could beat any of the people that were actually athletic.

I was thinking the other day about the greatest near falls during the streak. I think I would have Orton's RKO at #1 followed by Hunter's sledgehammer shot from X-7 and Hunter's tombstone from XXVII

Triple H's Tombstone Piledriver at WrestleMania XXVII for sure gets my top spot. I love Triple H's sell of shock that 'Taker kicked out of it. Orton's RKO at WrestleMania 21 and the DX Special at WrestleMania XXVIII are the other two.

• Like 1

Batista turning on HHH on RAW before WrestleMania was so amazing. Then they banished him to SmackDown and I rarely got to see him save for that RAW/SmackDown Survivor Series parking lot showdown - when the RAW team looked like a bunch of goofs, and the SmackDown crew was all swanked out.

• Like 2

I will always love that Chokeslam into an RKO from Wrestlemania 21. Last few years I haven't really bought into anything as ending it though. Cena I might buy into, I could see myself freaking out if he countered a Tombstone into a AA.

I can see Brock Lesnar countering a Tombstone into an F5, that was the finish of the awesome Hell in a Cell match they had at No Mercy 2002.

I will always love that Chokeslam into an RKO from Wrestlemania 21. Last few years I haven't really bought into anything as ending it though. Cena I might buy into, I could see myself freaking out if he countered a Tombstone into a AA.

I can see Brock Lesnar countering a Tombstone into an F5, that was the finish of the awesome Hell in a Cell match they had at No Mercy 2002.

there was also a great near fall in the Edge match but I'm not remembering what it was. I forgot to mention Arn Anderson's spinebuster. That was awesome and easily top 5 for me as well.

• Like 1

there was also a great near fall in the Edge match but I'm not remembering what it was. I forgot to mention Arn Anderson's spinebuster. That was awesome and easily top 5 for me as well.

Perhaps you're thinking about the first Spear Edge hit 'Taker with? Great shout on Arn Anderson's Spinebuster. I'd add that to my list.

What I loved about the Edge/Taker Mania match was how they spent most of the match with Edge escaping the big moves instead of just kicking out, until pretty late in it.

Probably my favorite non-gimmick match of Edge's career.

What I loved about the Edge/Taker Mania match was how they spent most of the match with Edge escaping the big moves instead of just kicking out, until pretty late in it.

That's my favourite thing about that match. Edge's best non-gimmick match. For me Edge's best match was the tag at No Mercy 2022. What a fucking show that is.

Were any of you guys here reading WCW Magazine near the end of its life?  They used to have a feature called "Uncensored" that was a pretty amazing sitdown one-on-one interview with a guy that's as close to being a shoot as it possibly can.  I went through and transcribed the entirety of Sting's interview and was pretty surprised at the stuff that was discussed:

tumblr_mxk90xWC5U1sg99p0o1_500.png

"Q: When you were pitted against Vampiro during the New Blood vs Millionaires Club angle, there were some who suggested the two of you didn’t work well together. Your thoughts?

I have nothing personal against Vampiro. He and I have talked about it and I’ve been straight up with him. I told him there just wasn’t chemistry there. It wasn’t his fault, it wasn’t my fault; I’m not pointing the finger at anybody. For whatever reason, it just didn’t work. I tried everything I could do — we did videos and vignettes. At the end, I finally said, if the bookers or writers are trying to make a new Sting, sensing that Sting has lost his drive or whatever, and they want to capitalize on another painted face around here and they want to make Vampiro that guy, then fine. But let him go off and do his thing by himself. He probably stands a better chance without me involved.  Originally, they had Vampiro as a babyface aligned with me, and I think that would have been good if they had continued that storyline. That story could have been something that people could sink their teeth into. Instead, he was slapped up on me, just as Kidman was slapped up onto Hogan, and so on. They wanted to make stars overnight, I guess. But you had guys with very high “Q” ratings and guys with very low “Q” ratings. They were trying to give guys the rub and bring them up, but what happens is that it brings the guys on top down.”

The entire interview with Sting is on my site and is too lengthy to post here -- real neat to read since Sting is a seemingly private individual.  Other guys that were interviewed were Vince Russo, Goldberg, Bret Hart (AFTER his career ending injuries), and even Buff Bagwell.  I'll need to get around to getting all of these online...

• Like 3

If HBK/Flair hadn't happened that night, Edge/Taker would be remembered as a fucking classic. I love that match. Even Edge's eyes during his entrance are so great. You can tell he's excited like a 7-year-old kid. I remember for years before that he always said his dream feud was against 'Taker. And it was finally happened. And closing at Wrestlemania. I was real happy for him that night.