DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

It's a moot point because there's no way AJ gets signed. They're not hiring a guy in his mid-30s that can't cut a promo and hasn't drawn money for anyone more relevant than TNA.

According to Meltzer on the Monday WO podcast, WWE already made AJ an offer (apparently a low one), and Styles turned it down.  It's not a completely moot point. 

Recently?  Or 10+ years ago?  Supposedly, the WWE offered AJ a contract sometime around his NWA Wildside/WCW/early ROH days (Wikipedia says it was 2002), and he turned it down because the money wasn't good. 

Just wondering if the Torch is referring to that or if the company has made him an offer recently.

In any case, I don't really see him getting a run with the WWE at this point. 

Sucks for him if he signed the rights to the name "AJ Styles" over to TNA.  Maybe he can grow a wooly beard and join ROH as AJ Briscoe, a long lost Briscoe cousin who is the black sheep of the family on account of his city ways (reading and writing, maybe?). 

It's a moot point because there's no way AJ gets signed. They're not hiring a guy in his mid-30s that can't cut a promo and hasn't drawn money for anyone more relevant than TNA.

According to Meltzer on the Monday WO podcast, WWE already made AJ an offer (apparently a low one), and Styles turned it down.  It's not a completely moot point. 

Recently?  Or 10+ years ago?  Supposedly, the WWE offered AJ a contract sometime around his NWA Wildside/WCW/early ROH days (Wikipedia says it was 2002), and he turned it down because the money wasn't good. 

Just wondering if the Torch is referring to that or if the company has made him an offer recently.

In any case, I don't really see him getting a run with the WWE at this point. 

Sucks for him if he signed the rights to the name "AJ Styles" over to TNA.  Maybe he can grow a wooly beard and join ROH as AJ Briscoe, a long lost Briscoe cousin who is the black sheep of the family on account of his city ways (reading and writing, maybe?). 

... but not 'rithmetic, I noticed ...

I have no knowledge of lucha, but does anyone do a gimmick where in costume and name, they're playing a tribute to retired, popular wrestlers? That would actually be kinda cool for the WWE to do. I would buy a Hot Rod lucha mask.

I don't know lucha either, but in Japan Ebessan did loads of tribute gimmicks.  Ebesstan Hansen was brilliant.  WWE should absolutely use that idea, it would a great way of using someone like Zack Ryder.

I have no knowledge of lucha, but does anyone do a gimmick where in costume and name, they're playing a tribute to retired, popular wrestlers? That would actually be kinda cool for the WWE to do. I would buy a Hot Rod lucha mask.

I don't know lucha either, but in Japan Ebessan did loads of tribute gimmicks.  Ebesstan Hansen was brilliant.  WWE should absolutely use that idea, it would a great way of using someone like Zack Ryder.

Goldust already did that.

Did everyone forget when Hass did this?

Pretty much, yeah.

• Like 1

Ugly ass tattoo's haven't kept dudes out of WWE before, and I don't see why AJ can't be called AJ Styles.

Well, unless I didn't use the Trademark Electronic Search System correctly.. the reason why he can't be called AJ Styles is because TNA owns the trademark on that name. So that might be a solid reason.

How is that, he was using that name as a rookie in NWA Wildside. 

Prior use doesn't mean a whole lot if he doesn't trademark it himself.

Pretty much, yeah.

Haha.  There was also that time frame where the WWF felt the best use of a 7' tall monster was to dress him as old wrestlers and call him the Showster.

Ugly ass tattoo's haven't kept dudes out of WWE before, and I don't see why AJ can't be called AJ Styles.

Well, unless I didn't use the Trademark Electronic Search System correctly.. the reason why he can't be called AJ Styles is because TNA owns the trademark on that name. So that might be a solid reason.

Seems like he should be able to dispute it, 

Eugene used to do tributes also, didn't he?

Edited to add:

I always suspected the end game of Eugene's tributes would be that he would start aping WCW stars' finishers, or those of wrestlers that had been blackballed from WWE ... say, like the Jackhammer, the Big Boot/Leg Drop combo, etc., as a not-so-subtle way of saying, "See?  Nothing special, even this retard can do 'em!"

Seems like he should be able to dispute it,

Not if he signed an agreement concerning the trademark.

Edited to add:

I always suspected the end game of Eugene's tributes would be that he would start aping WCW stars' finishers, or those of wrestlers that had been blackballed from WWE ... say, like the Jackhammer, the Big Boot/Leg Drop combo, etc., as a not-so-subtle way of saying, "See?  Nothing special, even this retard can do 'em!"

Was Eugene ever a playable character in one the Raw vs. SmackDown games?  I imagine a moveset full of finishers would've been tremendous.

Edited to add:

Was Eugene ever a playable character in one the Raw vs. SmackDown games?  I imagine a moveset full of finishers would've been tremendous.

Eugene was in one of the Raw vs. Smackdown games (2006 I think).  I know that his finishers were the Stunner and either the Rock Bottom or People's Elbow, and I believe he had a Hogan-like Legdrop as a signature.

He did, but I was thinking more of wrestlers wearing masks and ring gear that resemble old school wrestlers and then part of their moveset is a tribute to that wrestler. 

This is just begging for an interactive poll on the WWE app.  It's too bad(?) Player Uno beat them to it.

I thought I read somewhere that Punk took a gamble, and let WWE trademark his name.

I'm not sure that's much of a gamble since he's probably done wrestling when his WWE career is up.

Why are you arguing this? Of course it was a huge gamble. What if he was released right after that really bad match he had when he was called up with Mickie James? I'm quite sure he wasn't planning to retire if that had happened during that time period.

1. Arguing with Gonzalez is what we do here.

2. That depends on when he signed over the name. Your original post that state that he signed it over right off the bat (that's if you're right at all).