DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 6/5 - 6/11/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Becky/Sonya was fine.

Owens/Gunther was great. Dug Gunther gradually taking control early on until it just became a complete uphill battle for Owens. Only thing i would have preferred was a more impactful finish. I assume they want to save that for if and when a title is on the line between the two.

KC/KC vs. Ronda/Shauna was good. The KCs got in a really good showcase with their tag work and double teams. Dug how much control they took and how they kept throwing Ronda and Shayna off. Only wish they had an audience that gave more of a crap. 

Ricochet/Nakamura was nice while it lasted. Wasn't fond of the finish though I suppose it made sense with the pre-match segment involving Bronson Reed. I do at least like that the moment he interfered in didn't hint towards a true victor. 

The MizTV segment was ok. I'm always happy to see Dom get such loud reactions and am kind of curious to see what he and Cody can do together. 

Zoey/Nattie was fine if forgettable.

Rollins/Priest built into something pretty good. The ending stretch with a call back to the first Rollins/Balor Universal title match was kind of neat. Still not sure about them building another Rollins/Balor match right now with the result being so obvious and the last one only being around a month ago during the tournament. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Owens/Gunther was great. Dug Gunther gradually taking control early on until it just became a complete uphill battle for Owens. Only thing i would have preferred was a more impactful finish. I assume they want to save that for if and when a title is on the line between the two.

I thought it was perfect. Can't remember Gunther ever attempting a school boy, let alone winning with one. Remember, in WWE Brain, a roll-up is "stealing" a victory, so this shows that Gunther began to worry that he actually couldn't put Owens away.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

That Owens/Gunther match was a sleeper MOTYC. I figured the ending would have some fuckery as Gunter wasn't likely to drop the title here, but that didn't detract from the overall match quality.

I was surprised at how much Rhonda and Shayna sold and hope they build up a rematch with Carter and Chance pulling the fast, skilled underdogs outwit the bigger, more powerful team.

• Like 2

There was a big question a few years ago if ANYONE would ever deserve to be in the WON HOF ever again, at least for WWE, because the company was now bigger than any wrestler and so much of the money was baked into the contracts so they didn't need to draw or even really try. That just makes it all the more impressive what Roman has accomplished in the last year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

That Owens/Gunther match was a sleeper MOTYC. I figured the ending would have some fuckery as Gunter wasn't likely to drop the title here, but that didn't detract from the overall match quality.

I was surprised at how much Rhonda and Shayna sold and hope they build up a rematch with Carter and Chance pulling the fast, skilled underdogs outwit the bigger, more powerful team.

I am absolutely going to do another watch of KO/Gunther. Man, people are sleeping on it. An absolute Free TV MOTYC. It was one of the best Raw matches in years. I am absolutely fine with the ending because the build is the tag title match. That match did so much to build Gunther up even more (if he needed it) since KO already has his resume and just came off a WrestleMania Main Event win and called Gunther out and ended up losing the match on points. KO is also just at a whole new level the past few months, which is something else because he has always been at a different level. 

The woman’s tag was a lot of fun. I never saw The KCs but that was a great intro.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Yo Owens/Gunther was incredible. What a banger.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Becky/Sonya was fine.

10 hours ago, Dog said:

I thought it was perfect. Can't remember Gunther ever attempting a school boy, let alone winning with one. Remember, in WWE Brain, a roll-up is "stealing" a victory, so this shows that Gunther began to worry that he actually couldn't put Owens away.

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I am absolutely going to do another watch of KO/Gunther. Man, people are sleeping on it. An absolute Free TV MOTYC. It was one of the best Raw matches in years. I am absolutely fine with the ending because the build is the tag title match. That match did so much to build Gunther up even more (if he needed it) since KO already has his resume and just came off a WrestleMania Main Event win and called Gunther out and ended up losing the match on points. KO is also just at a whole new level the past few months, which is something else because he has always been at a different level. 

The woman’s tag was a lot of fun. I never saw The KCs but that was a great intro.

Will watch as it's GUNTHER and Kevin Owens going at it. Hopefully we'll get GUNTHER vs. Sami Zayn next week.

EDIT: Just watched. One of the best WWE matches this year.

Edited by The Natural

Kind of like Corbin's reasons for coming into NXT. Feels like a cover for him basically being pissed at all the NXT guys and gals who were drafted along with Grimes one shotting him so quickly in Grimes's Smackdown debut. Ilja coming out to challenge him was unexpected. The attack from Trik however was and nice.

Diamond Mine vs. Dyad/Ava was pretty good. The Creeds had a great showcase with the addition of Ivy making for something different and pretty damn fun. I like how much Ivy is treated as a badass. Ava having just a pinch of nervousness when Ivy got the hot tag to come in was neat. Their segment was short enough and worked for the finish. Still you can tell how limited Ava must be with how she is used so far. 

Blair/Dani was a bit of squash meant to reintroduce Blair more than anything else. Thought it worked well. Dani never stopped trying to comeback while bumping and selling well for Blair. Blair has plenty of good offense and has a certain feel of maliciousness in much of what she does. 

Corbin/Trick built into something solid though I don't think they feed into each other well stylistically. 

Kind of dug HHHT with Frazer. Didn't last too long, made decent mockery of Dar and his new group, and setup Frazer/Dar for the Heritage Cup which I'm all there for. Also kind of like Frazer and Dragon Lee becoming buddies. 

Ali/Gacy was pretty decent while it lasted.

Thorpe/Kemp was fine. Thorpe still lacks anything personality or style while tat makes him interesting. Reminds me of Xyon Quinn in that regard.

Dabba-Kato/Scrypts was fun while it lasted. Reggie can move and bump around well along with the general athletic feats he can achieve. He and DK make for decent counterparts. Axiom helping Reggie get the win was unexpected. The double beatdown from Dk less so.  Not sure what the plan for DK, but I hope its more than squashing people. Feels like he can do more in the ring than a lot of the other giant WWE has brought up the last couple of years. 

Women's battle Royal was pretty decent. The eliminations were generally solid and I dug a lot of the story and character bits. Dug how Lash was such a powerhouse and her elimination with Leon and Feroz worked well. Lash's earlier attack to take out Thea was particularly nice. Blair coming out to piss off Roxanne and getting Tatum to help her out was interesting. Tatum is talented but not much of a personality on her own. Will be interesting to see what Blair brings out of her. I am befuddled why Dana brooke was in this match, but it did only seem to make the crowd all the more hot for a Thea victory so I can't complain too much. Loved seeing Thea win treated as such a big moment with the Chase U students coming. They even remembered the NIL twins who hoisted Thea up during the celebration. A part of me wishes Thea wasn't Tiffany's first defense just so we would think she has a chance of winning, but I do like the story they used to get here with Thea toughening herself up mentally & physically. Gulak and Dempsey giving her props at the end was a nice touch. 

Bron challenging Seth was kind of out of nowhere. I don't hate it though it feels like something that should be happening at least at a PLE if they want to do it. 

Saw the ratings the Roman Reigns 1000 Days celebration drew (the final quarter had 2.9 million viewers!) and like... do we sorta have to admit that WWE was right and we were mostly wrong regarding Cody losing at Mania?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Dabba-Kato/Scrypts was fun while it lasted. Reggie can move and bump around well along with the general athletic feats he can achieve. He and DK make for decent counterparts. Axiom helping Reggie get the win was unexpected. The double beatdown from Dk less so.  Not sure what the plan for DK, but I hope its more than squashing people. Feels like he can do more in the ring than a lot of the other giant WWE has brought up the last couple of years. 

Early on when Scrypts nailed a couple big punches on Kato and staggered him and Kato had this look of sorta respect for him, I thought "Man, Kato and Scrypts as a tag team would be really fun actually" and after Axiom showed up and helped Scrypts I thought "Scrypts should turn on Axiom and form a team with Kato". Also, I think they should change Kato's name because I keep thinking it's going to be a Flintstone.

Hail's victory was a pretty amazing NXT pop. If WWE can overlook her size, she could be a big star because she plays that lovable underdog to character to the absolute hilt. 

31 minutes ago, caley said:

Early on when Scrypts nailed a couple big punches on Kato and staggered him and Kato had this look of sorta respect for him, I thought "Man, Kato and Scrypts as a tag team would be really fun actually" and after Axiom showed up and helped Scrypts I thought "Scrypts should turn on Axiom and form a team with Kato". Also, I think they should change Kato's name because I keep thinking it's going to be a Flintstone.

I know they didn't for rights reasons, but I thought they should have just kept Dabba-Kato's actual name Babatunde. 

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Meltzer is reporting that one of the plans for Brock-Cody III at SummerSlam is 

Reveal hidden contents

El Barfo, as my dad would say.

Spoiler

So Cody "wins the feud" by getting destroyed, only to touch the same three corners as Brock and then get around him to hit the fourth, thereby decisively proving his superiority over a walking side of beef with a license to wrestle. surejan.gif

1 hour ago, Pete said:

El Barfo, as my dad would say.

Hide contents

So Cody "wins the feud" by getting destroyed, only to touch the same three corners as Brock and then get around him to hit the fourth, thereby decisively proving his superiority over a walking side of beef with a license to wrestle. surejan.gif

Eh, I'm fine with it as a nod to Dusty, but I do understand your point about devaluing the big win.