DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

My biggest wish for Punk (babyface) would be a three month feud with LFI:

If Punk is going to be a face, feud him with LFI for three months. Punk vs Rush, Punk vs Andrade, Punk vs Dralistico, Punk vs Vance. Tags with FTR and Punk vs these guys. Bloody dog collar match with RUSH, Punk and Darby vs RUSH and Andrade in a double coffin match. Punk/Sting/Darby/FTR vs Andrade/RUSH/Vance/Dralistico/... uh.. La Bestia del Ring? Marco Corleone? La Mascara (Is he even active?)

Anyone but Bestia. LA Park gets my vote for number five. 

• Like 3

Because I forgot to post this in the Rampage thread last week: It's cool that Jericho namedropped Killer Karl Kox on commentary but you really shouldn't be able to invoke him if you throw punches like Jericho.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I had forgotten that the other Munoz brother works for the other company. 

They snapped him up after he showed up in AEW so they could bury him in NXT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Anyone but Bestia. LA Park gets my vote for number five. 

I want to see LA Park vs. Penta although I imagine Park would be fired after.

Pillars talk - it’s just fun branding of young people on the first show, taken from a promo that lead to a shirt and more references. It stuck, so it’s a fun thing. You can point to Brit Baker and OC as non-WWE talent that got over outside of the Pillar branding. Starks brought up how he doesn’t like the term (and maybe it’s him hinting at a storyline and I’m a mark) but no one actually believes that Jungle Boy is the second coming of Taue. Starks has It and with the right storylines and build could really be something. He doesn’t A) need to be a part of referred to grouping, or B) need to say the term is dumb. 

If we do want to make more cute little four person categories to be cute and have cute fun, I believe it was @AxB that once said the 4 Killahz (he probably didn’t use a Z but it’s cute and let’s be cute and have cute fun). But that stuck with me. Let’s make four cute groups so no one feels left out and the have the four groups have a tournament to see who the cutest is.

Four Pillars - MJF, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, and Jungle Boy

Four Killahz - Wheeler Yuta, Daniel Garcia, Hobbs, Lee Moriarty

Four Thrillas - Ricky Starks, Swerve Strickland, Peacock guy, Komander 

Four Kidz of Wrestlahz - Hook, Brock Anderson, Brian Pillman Jr, Rush?

I would have included women like Hayter as a Killer but if it’s a cute tournament then outside of the video game, AEW doesn’t do intergender matches.

———

Yeah, @The Natural I agree. You have to leave Dynamite with at least one A-level star

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Four Pillars - MJF, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, and Jungle Boy

Four Killahz - Wheeler Yuta, Daniel Garcia, Hobbs, Lee Moriarty

Four Thrillas - Ricky Starks, Swerve Strickland, Peacock guy, Komander 

Four Kidz of Wrestlahz - Hook, Brock Anderson, Brian Pillman Jr, Rush?

I would have included women like Hayter as a Killer but if it’s a cute tournament then outside of the video game, AEW doesn’t do intergender matches.

I guess we're saying OC doesn't need to be included (and he's not exactly young compared to the others).

I like the Killahz, it's basically the original BCC shout-outs plus Hobbs. I would actually put Takeshita in here over Hobbs for the BCC association.

Thrillas: I'm not wild about him but Action Andretti, if they're going to commit to him as at least a mid-carder JTTS he fits here. Given that Dalton Castle can't wrestle regularly and isn't a young guy, let's put Andretti in his spot. Komander works.

Kidz - I would cut my losses with Pillman Jr., he does not have it. Hook, Brock, Hijo de Vikingo, and steal Charlie Dempsey. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Maybe you guys will get Beach Break this year............

My issue with beaches is that if they don’t have foot washing stations away from the sand, then I’m just walking around uncomfortably. A quakable body of water or said quaking happening near water, that sounds like a more pleasant evening out with the boys.

Here was my road report from the previous quake filled event:

• Like 1

WWE Reportedly Adding Clause About AEW To Deals With Event Venues

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE has been adding clauses to its deals with event venues that would affect AEW running in the same building. According to the report, the clause prevents the venue from holding an AEW event a set number of weeks before or after a WWE show. Not only that, but AEW and the venue would not be allowed to announce a show or sell tickets until after the WWE show has happened.

34 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

WWE Reportedly Adding Clause About AEW To Deals With Event Venues

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE has been adding clauses to its deals with event venues that would affect AEW running in the same building. According to the report, the clause prevents the venue from holding an AEW event a set number of weeks before or after a WWE show. Not only that, but AEW and the venue would not be allowed to announce a show or sell tickets until after the WWE show has happened.

Every touring act in the world uses exclusivity deals with venues.  This isn't earthshattering news.

• Like 3

Anecdotal data on this topic: The first Dynamite in the venue WWE runs near me was a pretty good turnout, but still less than the last Takeover I went to at the same building four years ago, and roughly on par with a WWE Friday night house show I went to in the same period. The second Dynamite in that building drew significantly less than all of those, which I'll attribute to the All Out/Punk stuff, and a rare rematch main event (Danielson/Garcia) though I don't recall if it was even announced far enough in advance to make a difference in sales to be perfectly honest with you. Rampage ran the other building near us in October (shout out to Nyla's "Rampage Live from the fucking Hills Have Eyes!" tweet) and was SIGNIFICANTLY out drawn by Smackdown about 3-4 months later. 

Someone refresh me: wasn't there a stink made about this a couple of years ago when NJPW/ROH ran MSG? I could have sworn I read about some kind of legal wrangling or something on the 'exclusivity' front.

But to @worldcupfever s point, they've been doing this shit forever. I saw a Kevin Nash shoot years ago where he talked about WCW being able to finally run Salisbury, MD for the first time, with the more WWF-centric crowd chanting 'Die-sel, Die-sel'. It's right out of Vince's playbook under 'Survivor Series vs Starrcade'

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

WWE has been running the old Erwin Center in Austin for years. I'm trying to remember if we ever got a WCW event. AEW was running HEB Center in Cedar Park for their shows, and I assumed that was because WWE had an exclusive deal with Erwin Center, which was owned by University of Texas.

After Erwin Center closed, WWE runs Smackdown in December 2022 at the new Moody Center, which replaced the old venue but was a joint venture between UT and the city of Austin. AEW runs the Moody Center last month instead of the HEB Center, and I was wondering if WWE hadn't gotten an exclusive with the new venture.

Not that it matters as I'll be in Philly within a few months, but interesting that this comes out now after AEW runs the same venue in Austin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Someone refresh me: wasn't there a stink made about this a couple of years ago when NJPW/ROH ran MSG? I could have sworn I read about some kind of legal wrangling or something on the 'exclusivity' front.

After MSG was booked, wwe threw a fit and MSG tried to rescind the booking. Then Sinclair’s big time lawyers said uh this isn’t how this works. And MSG quickly backed down. 

• Like 3