DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Happy Pride Month everyone.

FaFs4rzXgAAhM4-.jpg:large

Money in the Bank qualifiers galore!   The beginning of the road to All In!  And Phil Collins' favorite PPV... Against All Odds! 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Happy Pride Month everyone.

FaFs4rzXgAAhM4-.jpg:large

Money in the Bank qualifiers galore!   The beginning of the road to All In!  And Phil Collins' favorite PPV... Against All Odds! 

Man... if IMPACT! would name all their PPVs after Phil Collins songs I might pay more attention to them.

Just imagine...

IMPACT! Wrestling presents... TAKE ME HOME!

IMPACT! Wrestling presents... IN THE AIR TONIGHT!

IMPACT! Wrestling presents... TARZAN ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK!

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So even at the time, I thought this match was something special and weird. It's worked almost entirely on strikes, Sasha barely flies and they both do a good job of controlling the pace. It had me worried someone was injured to the point of having to bypass a lot of their standard moveset.

• Like 3

Here's a brutal read to start your month. Of course, we know these things already, but this is just a fantastic piece of journalism, and it'll totally depress you.

Unless you're in Canada or the UK or the Nordic countries or Japan, I guess. You lucky fucks. 

https://defector.com/in-american-indie-wrestling-bodies-are-cheap-and-healthcare-is-not

(I think you should be able to read one free article if you're not paying for Defector, so everyone should be able to read it if they want to unless they've been lurking Defector without an account, in which case I'd encourage you to spend the five bucks a month if you have it.)

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

38 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

https://defector.com/in-american-indie-wrestling-bodies-are-cheap-and-healthcare-is-not

(I think you should be able to read one free article if you're not paying for Defector, so everyone should be able to read it if they want to unless they've been lurking Defector without an account, in which case I'd encourage you to spend the five bucks a month if you have it.)

Cached copy of the article - https://archive.ph/4dpGQ

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Jesus, that was all awful but the stuff about Deranged is heartbreaking.

I very much hope he's okay, or as okay as he can possibly be living on the streets and in pain because of that screw in his leg, but yeah, that was especially grim. I knew all about LuFisto's issues as well, but that was just so hard to read. 

6 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Here's a brutal read to start your month. Of course, we know these things already, but this is just a fantastic piece of journalism, and it'll totally depress you.

Unless you're in Canada or the UK or the Nordic countries or Japan, I guess. You lucky fucks. 

Said it before and will again, I'd be fucked without the National Health Service especially with the Cerebral Palsy. My late great Mum with her multiple health conditions as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Kim Kelly (she’s quoted in the price) has an excellent book out about the history of American labor movement called Fight Like Hell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps I’m mistaken but looks like Twitter has quietly removed the google translate link from foreign language tweets. That’s just gonna mean less engagement with the platform and advertisers from me. It’s definitely one way to do business. 

Edit: I noticed this from looking at a few tweets from wrestlers/wrestling accounts I follow so that’s how it ties in. If it sticks I’ll just unfollow the accounts then. 

Edited by matt925

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Baron's the gift that keeps on giving, whether he knows it or not.    

Re-told my Sabu story from 11/2021 so mine as well re-tell my Corbin story from  3/2019. One of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

I know he gets shit on a lot here for his work(and I'm not saying it's right or wrong) but had the chance to meet Corbin last night and he couldn't have been any nicer. There were 5 or 6 of us having some beers outside about an hour before the show adjacent to where everyone parks. Baron pulls in, gets out and spends 5-10 minutes just bullshitting with us. Joking about how we have to keep booing him inside so he can stay employed and encouraging us to give him the finger instead if anyone loses their voice. Talked video games and colleges too(one of the girls in our group brought her daughter who is graduating from high school in a couple of months). Came back out after the show and spent 10 more minutes talking with us, thanked us for the middle fingers(we all had aisle seats) and some more bullshitting before he hit the road. Couldn't possibly have been any friendlier or more down-to-earth.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

God I love pro wrestling.

Dusty wrestling a guy whose whole gimmick was a parody of Dusty, and then essentially having a Dusty dance-off, is amazing. Many thanks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Dusty wrestling a guy whose whole gimmick was a parody of Dusty, and then essentially having a Dusty dance-off, is amazing. Many thanks.

And then 20 years later, you get the Akeem /Larry Sweeney dance off at KOT. 

• Like 5

meanwhile this news probably doesn't get a lot of sympathy due to the whole Dibiase family Mississippi welfare saga but considering that Ted Sr retired due to a neck injury, I can believe that there's gonna be head/brain trauma as a result of his career

Apros pos Akeem: How many "fat" 80ies and early 90ies wrestlers are still alive? I was recently watching World War 3 95 and was trying to count the number of people who are dead by now (15, I think, by the way) and when One Man Gang entered I automatically wanted to add him to the list until I went, wait, he is still alive, is he. But there are not many of those guys besides George Gray still standing.

• Like 1