DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/31/2023

The Natural

32 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Kind of curious what everyone else's secret selfish wishes are for The Punk Show Brand Split and Draft Spectacular. 

Like, maybe Matt wants Hangman and Takeshita moved somewhere exclusively, where, say, Dustin never goes, Drew would most likely prefer at least one show with zero Matt Nick Cole participation, Natural might watch more of whichever show Penta and Sammy don't appear on, and Andy from Kansas would like Cody to be able to cross over...? 

This may go against what you expect, but my “I strongly don’t want to see this person” list probably doesn’t have all that many people on it. And even then, there are probably some matches they could be in that would make me curious or even the rare instance when I just turn out to be wrong about someone. So I expect Collision will be a priority for me as long as Punk’s around and I’ll still watch Dynamite. My optimistic hope is this isn’t done as poorly as it has been elsewhere and there are positive results, such as increases in profile for performers many of us have been waiting on: Starks, Hobbs, Swerve, Deeb, Miro, Rush, etc. Maybe see if we can swing an extra Dustin match once in a while if he’s up for it. Maybe a big step up for Christian as a top heel if he’s up to increase his workload. 

I think there’s a decent chance you get what you want re: Jim Ross. Punk still puts some wind in his sails, and I think he’d gladly serve if offered the assignment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Punk is going to come back and ignore the Elite and Hangman then his return will be pointless. You might as well cancel it. 

Two sides to that situation, bud. If the Bucks want nothing to do with him, are they supposed to just cut bait and release one of their most marketable stars? You work with what you got, and WBD wants Punk.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Punk is going to come back and ignore the Elite and Hangman then his return will be pointless. You might as well cancel it. 

It's like A_K_ never left. **wipes tear away**

• Haha 10

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Two sides to that situation, bud. If the Bucks want nothing to do with him, are they supposed to just cut bait and release one of their most marketable stars? 

Without picking sides too strongly, it shouldn’t be lost on anyone the timing of when some people have decided to plant the “heart, soul, and spirit of this place” flag. Feels they might be trying to control the narrative and negotiate in public. 

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed tonight's show. Plus, we get a championship edition of Rampage. I never doubted you, Tony. 

So, next week is Jay White vs. Ricky Starks with Juice and FTR banned from ringside. Do we get a new Bullet Club Gold member, like perhaps EL Phantasmo?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Keep that hat on. We will see Attitude Era snide remarks sent each other’s way as if it was Nitro vs Raw. Some passive and subtle and the other abrasive and bombastic. And like the Invasion, we’ll settle for Cash Wheeler vs Colt Cabana. Not a bad match up, all things considered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Keep that hat on. We will see Attitude Era snide remarks sent each other’s way as if it was Nitro vs Raw. Some passive and subtle and the other abrasive and bombastic. And like the Invasion, we’ll settle for Cash Wheeler vs Colt Cabana. Not a bad match up, all things considered.

We’ll get what we deserve: Brodie King will be the DDP to Matt Jackson’s Undertaker. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dear lord, if this years All Out they can build to an Anarchy in the Arena type match called Brawl Out with the Elite vs CM Punk Sympathizers, I’ll shake the great Tony’s hand on a masterful long term booking/ talent management save.

If they don’t collide, give me a different thing that is neat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Main event seemed like something performed entirely for All Access. That said, the Cole/Jericho interactions were better than the ppv match.

The rest of the show was fun and set up good stuff. BCG is a way better matchup for FTR (and that roll of quarters was delightfully old school). Swerve/OC next week! Taya heel turn? Kenny scouring the lands for help. Callis getting nuclear heat, and Takeshita gets the rub. No beating around the bush with Punk.

• Like 1

Thanks to those who liked my OP about my Dad's birthday falling on this show. My Dad had a good un and he asked me to thank y'all as well.

Three best heels in wrestling are Don Callis, Christian Cage and Dominik Mysterio. Nuclear heat for Callis, loudest set of boos in AEW history followed by Christian Cage. Really like how when Callis makes his entrance, there's the painting of him cradling Omega after betraying him on the set and said betrayal is replayed on a loop. In addition to the heel turn by Konosuke Takeshita. Taz was enjoying the crowd reaction on commentary.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Considering they have the Owen Cup coming up soon, this felt more like they were warming up for a tag team or faction competition rather than highlighting many singles guys. But the post-PPV show is usually an anomaly.

I can't say I particularly love Callis or this angle but the heat he got - woof. That was nuclear.

• Like 1

I'm halfway through. Second half for the commute home.

• BCC vs Lucha Bros/Bandido: I am ever thankful for the commercial breaks. If you leave the Lucha Bros to their own devices, the fist few minutes would be the entire match. We were talking a lot about preferences and what we'd like and for me, there are just seven or eight guys I don't like, and even half of those I'm ok watching in certain situations. I much prefer Penta and Fenix in singles matches. I liked Fenix vs Claudio. I liked Penta vs Slim J. No problems. I just have very little use for formless spotfest tags. And it's not like I don't love lucha. I do love lucha, but the lucha I love is full of ebbs and flows and build and payoff. So while I appreciated the execution and timing and character within the opening stuff here, it wasn't really for me. Until it settled down. Then it was for me as they just tore Bandido apart, and with Danielson on commentary loving every second of it. He was a better Regal than Regal, honestly. Occasionally he'd flub a line but he was just so earnestly into the specifics of the details whereas Regal always felt more about buzzy bits and generalities. (Sorry). His pride for Yuta was just bursting through the screen at the end. If the wrestlers commit to that degree, it's easier for the fans to get into things. It's the most earnest approach to pro wrestling as opposed to something more winky and ironic that lets the fans in on the act. Very much the difference between the BCC and the Elite. 
  • Speaking of exactly that, Jay White comes off as a guy who is relaxed and just letting his own personality stretch a bit. The way he transitions between one sentence and the next stands out. He's obviously not being polished with it but he also doesn't care. It is the exact opposite of let's say... Seth Rollins who is always playing his version of a pro wrestling character instead of just being one. And yes, building on THAT, Ricky talking to the BCG instead of the hard cam was very good stuff.
  • Bill vs Swerve vs TRENT? was good though it had all the usual problems of a triple threat. Swerve is best as an opportunistic heel with stupid, askew offense and this gave him the opportunity for that. Bill wasn't quite getting the crowd reactions (even in front of a hot crowd) I would have liked and that I think he deserved since he was trying hard. His strikes looked astoundingly good, actually. It felt sort of like Abby with his cut offs.
  • Callis' heat was beautiful. I like how he played it too. He wasn't relishing it in like a villain. There was something almost Monty Burns-esque about it. He just wanted to say what he had to say and all of these people were having feelings for some reason he couldn't fully wrap his head around.
  • As for the Acclaimed and Billy Gunn, I wish they had blamed the fact that they didn't choose a special rule since that would have protected them and also gotten over the gimmick a bit more while building anticipation for a rematch.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

As much as I dislike Punk, i dislike the idea of a "brand split" even more.  I hope that everyone in this situation has at least partially agreed to be adults and play nice, because my feelings on Punk aside, I REALLY want to see Punk/Omega.

That's the big question, can those involved set aside their issues? What happens with catering and PPV when both rosters have to coexist? Do the PPVs get alternate rosters like when RAW/SmackDown had their own designated PPVs?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Adam Cole should channel his inner Ahmed Johnson and use all the Kneepads, Holy hell does he look skinny without one. 

I have read all about Adam Cole, the love and the hate. Admittedly did not watch much of his NXT stuff.  His ring work to me is very good - the Panama finisher is interesting but not that believable.  Mic work is very good, and great entrance.  Seems like a genuinely good person.  

But I come back to old JR saying - it's a body business.  Seriously he just looks like a teenage boy to me.  His lack (complete lack) of muscular build is really noticeable.  Not saying he needs to hit the 'riods but he looks more like a long distance runner than a wrestler.  

The Mulkeys back in JCP - they were these skinny, pale white kids.  And they just got killed.  Which was what you expected Cole looks more like a Mulkey than a modern-day Michaels. 

• Like 1

I don’t mind either way but it’s weird that, on the same show, we had Cole against Jericho and Darby/OC against the Gates of Agony and only one match gets the “look at this dude’s body, he can’t credibly face off against this other guy who is more jacked”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I don’t mind either way but it’s weird that, on the same show, we had Cole against Jericho and Darby/OC against the Gates of Agony and only one match gets the “look at this dude’s body, he can’t credibly face off against this other guy who is more jacked”.

I'd say Darby and OC (Darby especially) work to their size. Darby's whole offense is just throwing himself recklessly at his opponent while OC relies on his craftiness. Cole wrestles more "straightforward". If he was doing more of a technical thing like, say Jonathan Gresham, or being more of a stick and move wrestler or something, it wouldn't be as glaring. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Log said:

I'd say Darby and OC (Darby especially) work to their size. Darby's whole offense is just throwing himself recklessly at his opponent while OC relies on his craftiness. Cole wrestles more "straightforward". If he was doing more of a technical thing like, say Jonathan Gresham, or being more of a stick and move wrestler or something, it wouldn't be as glaring. 

Exactly this.

• Like 6

This Dynamite rocked. That crowd was so there for everything and it made a world of a difference compared to the lethargic Las Vegas crowd. 

Don Callis got the most amount of heat for a heel that I've seen this year. In any promotion. That was nearly an all timer for heel heat. It was so, so, so awesome. 

About every match was good to great. The three way was so much fun and Big Bill has definitely improved. I wouldn't have had a problem if he won the match. And now it looks as if Swerve is going to be the next champ. OC is at his weakest especially...

after the mega ass beating he took from the Gates of Agony. That was an awesome tag match with too big dudes beating the shit out of two very small guys. Everyone worked perfectly and I loved the stuff near the end with using Kaun and Toa against each other. Size isn't everything and you have to be nearly perfect to beat Darby and OC.

Tony Schiavone got his steps in last night. He was always going out to the ring for an interview and I thought every interview or talking segment worked really well. I especially liked the tease from Hangman about Kenny not being in Canada. Now come back with Ibushi and even let Okada tag along to make MJF pay for his comments at the media scrum.

• Like 5

Count me in as a guy who doesn’t “get” Adam Cole, but he seems like such a nice guy that reading all these admittedly legitimate criticisms has paradoxically made me really root for the fucker.

So I guess I like Adam Cole now. Fuck you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5