DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/31/2023

The Natural

Speaking only for myself, but I have still been greatly enjoying the overall in-ring AEW I've seen lately. I'm probably higher on Double of Nothing than most of you were.

My enjoyment of AEW has been being able to sit down on Wednesday evening and see a pro wresting show that was mostly absent of the things I've come to not like to see on pro wrestling shows. A couple of those things were authority figures and brand splits, so I'm not excited for those to be introduced.

With WWE, I went from watching it religiously every week, to dvr-ing and fast-forwarding through long talk segments or whatever. Eventually, there were things about the presentation that caused me to just not want to watch altogether, but that's another topic for another time.

I still enjoy AEW, and I'm not writing them off. I'm just hoping that they don't change things to the point where I'm not interested in watching live every week. It's really been nice having a live pro wrestling show in my life again. I hope the company can grow and change, but not at the expense of what made it enjoyable to me (again, personally).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I remain pro brand split, but I am also violently certain that all of the wrestlers I don't like will be grouped together. It's all gain for me, no loss. How can I not be for that? Frankly, I think you people should be happier for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I remain pro brand split, but I am also violently certain that all of the wrestlers I don't like will be grouped together. It's all gain for me, no loss. How can I not be for that? Frankly, I think you people should be happier for me.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you, um...

... well, I forget, but you keep on trying now.

Hot takes + a question:

• Don't really care about a brand split, but if guys I like actually get a push and TV time out of it then swell
  • Authority figures are fine if they can be used sparingly and briefly to deliver important news, I don't think anyone's looking for peak McMahon being in a bunch of stories -- but I'd make an exception for Joker Sting or Cesar Duran
  • Concerns regarding production changes are largely overblown and they're catching strays on account of other aspects of AEW programming leaving people less satisfied
  • Does announcing a so-so card potentially set a ceiling on viewership or let people know they don't need to prioritize watching live? Is there something to be said of Tony maybe wanting to announce a couple top-level things and see what happens?
  • Hurry up and announce Orange Cassidy vs Matt Sydal
Edited by John from Cincinnati

Am I the only one that was a bit taken aback that @Gordlow would get called out for having a “weird take”? To me they’re probably the best poster in this section of the board, and my personal highlight was getting to interact with them once (shout out to @The Natural too as I enjoy our interactions). 

I may not always agree with Gordlow’s thoughts, but I do admire that they’re well thought out, and it never feels like I’m reading a random rant. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

We're not out of the woods yet.

He should hotshot FTR vs Bullet Club Gold to be safe. 

Gotta save that for Punk’s show, brother!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Cash Wheeler vs Jay White would be totally in scope though. Do that.

What about singles matches where Juice (who kind of needs a name-ish win) goes over Cash and then Dax goes over White due to Ricky?

16 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Does announcing a so-so card potentially set a ceiling on viewership or let people know they don't need to prioritize watching live? Is there something to be said of Tony maybe wanting to announce a couple top-level things and see what happens?

There's no hockey or basketball tonight, so AEW wins the night in sports viewership by default

Game 3 of the NBA Finals is next Wednesday, so that's a bigger problem

I’m about as down on AEW right now as I have been since the company was formed. Maybe down is the wrong word…more nihilistic. As in I just don’t particularly care anymore. 

I will always root for the home team, but something’s off. I don’t think I’m the only one that feels this way…they really need a compelling storyline to hit right now. Frankly another pointless Owen tournament with no storyline is the last thing they should be doing right now, to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

They did a AEW games stream today with negative 1 and I believe Evil Uno.

Wondered if he should've been in school, but it was probably a pre-tape

School is out in a lot of places.

Hey, matches! I guess I'll quit my bullshit for now. Always nice to see Nyla on the program, even if it's in the Kane/Lance Archer 'champ's first challenge' role. Also digging the Luchas/Bandido pairing - maybe this will set up an issue between the Bros. and Best Friends down the line

• Like 2

Reading this thread for the first time, after already seeing the match announcements, that’s an experience. 

A lot of people really struggling with Post-Sports Entertainment Disappointment Disorder.

• Haha 5