DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/29 - 6/4/2023

The Natural

Skipped the the opening segment until Judgement Day came in. What I caught was fine.

Miz/Ricochet was fairly good. Miz and Ricochet worked way better with each other than I expected. I also loved Miz busting out shit he either never does or rarely does to put over how important the match was a MITB qualifier. 

The Trish/Becky/Stark segment was a bit long but decent. Teaming Zoey up with Trish was a smart move. It gave Stark instant interest from the crowd compared to what they tried to do earlier with her being mean bitch to Cross and Candice. 

Indus Sher squash was ok.

The Sami/KO segment leading in to Imperium/AA was good. Was nice to see AA seem to officially establish themselves as faces here. The match with Imperium was solid and Sami/KO were fun on commentary. 

The fatal 4-way for the women's tag titles was a little rough in spots but mostly decent. Not big on Shayna & Ronda taking the belts, but it will at least give an easier in for any team they face to get over as faces.

JD/Ziggler was a bit of mess and angle more than anything else anyways. 

Cody's challenge to Brock was fine. Crowd was into it and still very behind him.

Nakamura/Reed had some roughness but was generally solid. Reed still came across as a beast, and they did well making Nakamura really work for his victory.

Rollins/AJ vs. Finn/Priest was pretty fun. Dug the early JD cheating, and Rollins had some fun goofier moments to fuck with the group including how eventually got Rhea and Dom out of the match. Kind of disappointed we didn't seemingly get a setup for Seth's first challenger, but this was more a way to showcase Rollins off on his first night as champ.

• Like 2

Also, KO is so ridiculously funny here ranting about Imperium breaking the unwritten rules of interrupting promos.

So many people on the roster just seem to be having a lot of fun right now. It is really refreshing.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Also, KO is so ridiculously funny here ranting about Imperium breaking the unwritten rules of interrupting promos.

So many people on the roster just seem to be having a lot of fun right now. It is really refreshing.

Those two on commentary could have gone wrong in so many ways but they were pretty great.

• Like 1

Gigi/Jacy was easily their best match together and generally solid-good though coming so close after something like Dijak/Dragunov its hard not to compare how far they are in quality. 

My DVR went pretty screwy the next ten minutes so I missed most of the setup to Dar/Melo. 

Lee/Bate vs. Dyad was fine. Dug Ivy coming in to beat Ava's ass. Ali showing up during the was a surprise. The post match save from Gacy was nice to see. Not sure I like the idea of Ali in NXT. Feels like a bit of a demotion for him though I suppose the free agent status means he won't necessarily be around for long. he got a massive reaction so it might not be the worst thing.

Stratton's celebration segment was not good. The idea was decent, but Stratton was way too nervous. Kind of surprised as she has done alright in the past. Hopefully future segments are much better. Curious to see who ends up her first challenger. Kind of hoping its someone like Thea or Fallon. 

Blair Davenport being revealed as the attacker of the women's division was fine. Mostly just happy to see her back. Felt weird that she hadn't become a long term NXT member like the other UK holdovers. 

Stacks/Coffey built into something solid.

Ivy/Cora was fine. Chemistry didn't feel fully there, but this was also something on the shorter side mostly waiting for the eventual Ava appearance to continue that feud. Hopefully Nile can get something decent out of Ava though I wouldn't be shocked if their eventual match ends up more of an angle than anything else. Not sure if next week's match is a mixed 6-person tag or if we are getting Dyad/Creeds and Ava/Ivy separately. The challenges were technically made separately. 

Melo/Dar was unsurprisingly good though I feel they have an even better match in them. Kind of wish they saved this for later. Corbin attacking post match was surprising. Not sure how I feel about that entirely. I like Corbin and this makes a strange sort of sense with his character begging for a bit of reset story wise. Him going back to NXT is the exact type of shit you can see him doing. Still like Ali it feels like a bit of a demotion though I wouldn't be shocked if both are out after their respective NA and NXT title matches. WWE seems to be using the freelance status so they can have talent float between shows as needed. I'm kind of ok with that idea though I still hope to see guys eventually settle in one spot. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

The WWE Draft has already been rendered absolutely pointless.

Poor Mustafa Ali. WWE really should've just released the dude when he asked. They've done nothing but bury him over and over. There was no coming back from how badly Lesnar buried him on TV. That was worse than what Lesnar did to Kofi.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 11:25 PM, Eivion said:

Miz/Ricochet was fairly good. Miz and Ricochet worked way better with each other than I expected. I also loved Miz busting out shit he either never does or rarely does to put over how important the match was a MITB qualifier. 

It is gonna be a really long time before I stop thinking "Damn - I wish I could have read Dean's reaction to this match."

The Miz's performance was one of those ones where Dean would have had him like #18 on the 500 by night's end

• Like 6

We will see if it's true but Fightful is reporting new WWE Universal Championship to celebrate Romans 1000 days as Universal Champ. Plans could change though.

Edited by 赤い竜
  • Like 1

Good. Now merge the two women's titles, make them a new title that looks like that, then introduce a women's world title for the other brand. Then do the same for the tag titles. Then do the same for the women's tag titles. Parity is almost in sight (yes I know they aren't doing any of that but a man can dream). World Titles & Universal Titles with no mention of what brand they "belong to" in the name would make draft stuff so much more logical.

Mostly a lateral move here. Realistically they weren't going to abandon that design, but I guess this at least cleans things up as to the appearance of only one world title per brand. Black strap is the way to go. Not 100% sold on the painted gold backing for the logo. But they did at least change the lettering to say Undisputed Champion now. Would have liked a little bit of actual gold in the backing with some flourishes or embossing of actual metal back there. As is, it's fine, if a bit lazy and mostly just a pallet swap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 赤い竜 said:

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Good. Now merge the two women's titles, make them a new title that looks like that, then introduce a women's world title for the other brand. Then do the same for the tag titles. Then do the same for the women's tag titles. Parity is almost in sight (yes I know they aren't doing any of that but a man can dream). World Titles & Universal Titles with no mention of what brand they "belong to" in the name would make draft stuff so much more logical.

Mostly a lateral move here. Realistically they weren't going to abandon that design, but I guess this at least cleans things up as to the appearance of only one world title per brand. Black strap is the way to go. Not 100% sold on the painted gold backing for the logo. But they did at least change the lettering to say Undisputed Champion now. Would have liked a little bit of actual gold in the backing with some flourishes or embossing of actual metal back there. As is, it's fine, if a bit lazy and mostly just a pallet swap.

I was naively hoping for a new belt design for the new Undisputed WWE Universal Championship but knew the big W wasn't going away. Is it just me or does this belt look smaller than the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship?

Brawling Brutes vs. Theory/Pretty Deadly was great. Good action, neat moments, good team work, and a super hot crowd into all of it. Loved every bit of this.

Hit Row vs. Good Brothers was short but decent while it lasted.

Skipped much of the Waller Effect segment. Never a big fan of when they bring everyone out at once. Was nice to see them let Io & Asuka converse in Japanese. Also dug it leading into Zelina/Lacey which was decent.

Knight/Ford was good. The two worked together well. The crowd was behind  Knight to the point of booing poor Ford. The nice thing with Ford is his character can play into that slightly without actually turning heel. The finish was a decent way to protect Ford. Glad Knight is getting a big PLE/PPV match finally. 

The final segment was good. Was hoping for something more different design wise with the new title, but its fine. Was neat to hear the crowd that immensely behind Reigns only for things to get murky when the Usos came down. Loved the tension, and the tease of things getting fixed only for that no from Roman was wonderful. We are so getting Roman/Solo vs. Usos and one of the Usos going for the belt this summer if not both of them. I'm good with all of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Brawling Brutes vs. Theory/Pretty Deadly was great. Good action, neat moments, good team work, and a super hot crowd into all of it. Loved every bit of this.

Hit Row vs. Good Brothers was short but decent while it lasted.

Skipped much of the Waller Effect segment. Never a big fan of when they bring everyone out at once. Was nice to see them let Io & Asuka converse in Japanese. Also dug it leading into Zelina/Lacey which was decent.

Knight/Ford was good. The two worked together well. The crowd was behind  Knight to the point of booing poor Ford. The nice thing with Ford is his character can play into that slightly without actually turning heel. The finish was a decent way to protect Ford. Glad Knight is getting a big PLE/PPV match finally. 

The final segment was good. Was hoping for something more different design wise with the new title, but its fine. Was neat to hear the crowd that immensely behind Reigns only for things to get murky when the Usos came down. Loved the tension, and the tease of things getting fixed only for that no from Roman was wonderful. We are so getting Roman/Solo vs. Usos and one of the Usos going for the belt this summer if not both of them. I'm good with all of it. 

I’m glad the hot crowd translated well to TV. I’ve never seen a crowd so into literally everything at a show in Wilkes-Barre. It made the night so much more fun. 

• Like 1

The Bloodline stuff is just so incredibly well-paced. Usually, we would see The Usos and Roman/Solo throw down. But instead it was just another great psycho-drama. 

The crowd popping and giving a “Holy Shit” champ like it was some crazy Shane McMahon dive for Jimmy palm facing Roman says so much about how effective the pacing and everything is. Even after giving Roman the super kicks, an Uso standing up to Roman during Roman’s big moment really felt shocking.  Solo siding with his brothers also was epic, and they planted seeds of that a few weeks ago when Roman bumped shoulders with him and he looked pissed. 

But Roman turning on the tears when he saw a possible moment of weakness and manipulating the situation again for Solo to reveal who he was truly with was amazing character work. The final words about Jey falling in line was so good in setting up what we they have next. And while we all think it is leading to Jey leaving, they have done such a good job at delaying things until the absolute right moment so who knows.

Consistently fantastic. 

• Like 3