DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing V - 5/28/2023

Speaking of food, my wife made this shrimp, bacon, and chickpea thing to spoon onto ciabatta bread. Fanciest fucking thing I’ve had to eat for a wrestling ppv.

• Like 5

Well, guess I’m not missing anything while making my wife some dinner. Remember when we got 3-4 Buy-In matches? How can you not book a women’s trios to get more people on air?

anyway, that’s it until after it’s over.

Some choices were made.  The "Attitude Era Greatest Hjts" button was pressed,  but the last 2 matches did a ton of heavy lifting.

Ibushi is totally showing up for the Blood and Guts match, rightM

• Like 2

Just now, The Natural said:

Show worth it for those unsure, myself included whether to order? Reading the results, don't feel I've missed out saving my money for AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door.

Same boat. Neat about Blackpool Cinnabon Club tho

• Like 1

BCC won so fuck yeah! Wish Takeshita actually joined but they went out of their way to make it clear it was just a Callis thing.

Jade lost! What a waste of a build to Stat!

The 4 pillars match was actually fucking amazing.

Been drinking, more later.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Show worth it for those unsure, myself included whether to order? Reading the results, don't feel I've missed out saving my money for AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door.

Not really. Just the Pillars and AitA.  Outside of those 2 matches the show was probably the promotions worst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing on this show was actively bad, but most of it didn't have any big feel to it and would have been just as in place on a Wednesday night. Did they do any good shots of the non-hard cam side? I'm wondering just how full the place ended up being.

The battle royal was an AEW battle royal. The ending sequence made me wish we'd gotten a Strickland/OC match instead

Tag title match was something that would have been better on Dynamite. I get what they were going for here but the dog and pony show fuckery of the match didn't appeal to me. At least they didn't turn Mark heel.

Didn't pay much attention to Cole/Jericho.

Wardlow and Christian could have had a totally decent match but the ladder stipulation was there for no reason. The less said about Arn Anderson trying to eat Luchasaurus' thumb the better.

I wonder if they called some sort of audible with Storm/Hayter? The women's division in AEW doesn't have the best representation and turning a title match into basically just and angle was lame.

For an impromptu match, the six man was pretty good and I'd like to see a rematch with more build.

Taya and Jade had one of Jade's better matches though having Jade win clean after the whole angle they went through with Taya was a bit nonsensical. Statlander coming back for an impromptu match explained that, though it reminded me too much of Becky coming back and beating Bianca for the women's title in WWE last year. I'm glad Kris is back and she's a great choice to win the title but the manner in which it happened didn't really do anyone any favors.

The four pillars match was like something that would have been in ROH circa 2006. I mean that in a good way.

Did they find some shitty Vegas bar band for the main event? The Bucks superkicking the singer (I guess he was in some type of Darth Maul mask but I thought it was blackface at first) was about the coolest thing I've ever seen them do. AEW garbage matches haven't had the greatest track record, but this was significantly better. If there hadn't already been two no DQ gimmick matches (plus the world title match which was technically no dq) it would have been more effective. Takeshita joining BCC is all well and good but Callis still sticks out like a sore thumb with them. Do the Elite get Page as their fifth man for Blood and Guts?

• Like 1

I was already so tired of hearing the "it has to be statlander" as it was, but to have it happen in THEE lamest cheap bullshit way possible. At least do some build up to it. As it were, fuck everything about that nonsense. Not a fan. Took me out entirely but Anarchy ended up pretty fun afterwards.

In trying to recall what I did like. Liked how they went about Toni/Jamie with what had to be done considering injury. Good for Toni, who has been on fire as of late. First few matches got a ton of time.

Blackjack Battle Royal had a great finale, really thought Swerve might pull it off but thankful for the epic Orange reign to continue. 

we did get a Sabu table dive, so thumbs up for that at least.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Not at all. Jade-Taya was decent. 4 Pillars was really good. Anarchy had moments, but also Wild Thing getting screeched at us by a dude in a very questionable mask for 15 minutes. Ending of the tag title match and battle royal were fun shenanigans, but nothing too exciting beforehand. Everything else ranged from horrible (Cole-Jericho), fine but not really necessary to see (TNT, Trios), to sadly what it had to be due to injury (Hayter-Storm).

Best off just watching highlights and maybe seeking out the 4 Pillars match

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last two matches carried the show. Shit absolutely hit the fan in that main event. Kudos to Matt Jackson for taking the bare foot spot on the thumbtacks because YOUCH!~ Four pillars match was amazing and just reaffirms my belief that Darby should be the guy to dethrone MJF. Time for Jade to move onto the AEW Women's title scene finally, and a nice surprise return for Kris Statlander. House of Black should hold onto the title for at least a year, but I want Malakai in the main event scene. Cole/Jericho was not good. I really wanted Planet Jarrett v2 to win the tag titles, but I guess we can't always get what we want. The ladder match was there besides Arn Anderson turning into a cannibal. Wanted an OC title loss, preferably to Swerve or Jay White but I guess we will have to wait just a little bit longer for that. Bring on Forbidden Door!

• Like 3

Just now, elizium said:

Not at all. Jade-Taya was decent. 4 Pillars was really good. Anarchy had moments, but also Wild Thing getting screeched at us by a dude in a very questionable mask for 15 minutes. Ending of the tag title match and battle royal were fun shenanigans, but nothing too exciting beforehand. Everything else ranged from horrible (Cole-Jericho), fine but not really necessary to see (TNT, Trios), to sadly what it had to be due to injury (Hayter-Storm).

Best off just watching highlights and maybe seeking out the 4 Pillars match

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Not really. Just the Pillars and AitA.  Outside of those 2 matches the show was probably the promotions worst.

All Out 2020 still happened.

The top three matches, absolutely watch. A big moment + top tier main events. I thought the Battle Royal was really fun. FTR vs. Jarrett/Lethal turned into the TNA shennaniganfest you want it to be Wardlow/Christian was a strange but generally good time. Avoid Jericho vs. Cole & Hayter vs. Storm like the plague.

• Like 2

Battle Royal and last two matches were a lot of fun. The rest was middle of the road at best.

Did JR have a more censored version of the Heenan/Pillman "What the F are you doing?" moment at the Clash? He yelled "Hey! Stupid!" at one point and no attention was brought to it. Excalibur said at one point their ankles were getting bumped into, so I wonder if that happened to JR (what with his surgery scar and all).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

All Out 2020 still happened.

The top three matches, absolutely watch. A big moment + top tier main events. I thought the Battle Royal was really fun. FTR vs. Jarrett/Lethal turned into the TNA shennaniganfest you want it to be Wardlow/Christian was a strange but generally good time. Avoid Jericho vs. Cole & Hayter vs. Storm like the plague.

This is just my opinion obviously, but FTR vs Omega/Hangman from that show was better than anything from tonight.

• Like 2