DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/10/2023

Matt D

I find it funny that the guy who’s terrible schtick is to shit all over everything that Kenny, the Bucks, and Adam Cole does claims that he a) doesn’t listen to Cornette and b) doesn’t know a certain term is a gay slur. 

What the hell is wrong with some people, and why do they think wrestling is suddenly real? Mox plays a tough guy on TV who constantly feels the need to blade himself. Kenny has wrestled how many hundreds of matches over the years I think he knows how to defend himself. Plus as another poster pointed out in a “real fight” I’d assume a guy that looks like Kenny could dish out some punishment, and not automatically get beat up by Moxley.

And before anyone asks I do have @just drew on ignore. It’s just certain things shouldn’t be said here. 

As for the show itself I thought this was the best start to finish Dynamite of the year so far, and I’m glad to see it’s being so well received.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kenny Omega, Childhood Ice Hockey player, MMA Fighter turned Pro-Wrestler, multiple time former Champion, isn't a credible fighter because he's light on his feet?

Andrei Arlovski won the UFC Heavyweight title while light on his feet. Once he aged into a plodder, he became far less effective. Some of the greatest Boxers of all time have been light on their feet. 

• Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kenny Omega, Childhood Ice Hockey player, MMA Fighter turned Pro-Wrestler, multiple time former Champion, isn't a credible fighter because he's light on his feet?

Andrei Arlovski won the UFC Heavyweight title while light on his feet. Once he aged into a plodder, he became far less effective. Some of the greatest Boxers of all time have been light on their feet. 

Wasn’t the GOAT boxer known for “floating like a butterfly”? And Floyd Mayweather has always had tremendous footwork if we want to use a more modern example of a great boxer being light on his feet too. 

Which I’m sure if Kenny ever saw your post or the one I’m making now he’d love that we’re both bringing up his legit non wrestling skills, and also pointing out how he has similar skills to all time great combat athletes. 

I’m also of the opinion that the person putting down Kenny would claim Jericho is somehow legit, because he “fought” Brock Lesnar backstage before. To me that’s more stupid than being legit. Plus Jericho (like Kenny) has hockey as part of his background.

The cage match was violent, bloody and completely wild. Everything I honestly expected from those two. I thought the ending was really well done and the big spot where the side of the cage gave way was pretty gnarly too.

Rest of the show was ok. I honestly got bored by Garcia and Cassidy. Garcia just comes across as bland sometimes to me. Always kind of has. House of Black tag was interesting the way they had the lighting and whatnot. I kind of dug it. 

Looking forward to Roddy vs Jericho next week, that should be a fun one.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Actually there has been like 2 or 3 kicks in MMA that I can remember that looked like a superkick. This most notable off the top of my head is Louis Smolka on Richie Vaculik in UFC. Yeah, it has happened. Side kick techniques have been pretty popular in MMA over the last 10 years cause everyone fancies themselves as a striker.

What Elsalvajeloco said.

The Superkick is essentially a step-to hook kick with the lead leg.   You drive your heel directly into the other guy's jaw and it's lights out.

They drill that shit into you millions of times in TKD class.  Then they teach you how to feint the step-to hook kick and turn it into a lead leg roundhouse kick that floats over the shoulder of your opponent and slams into the back of his head. 

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson will demonstrate.

A great show, but the card was a little too stacked.  I feel that Best Friends / Bandido probably should've been the main event on Rampage so it could've gone twenty minutes and done the match some justice.  It definitely fell victim to time constraints.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Did Tony Khan slip up by saying tune in next Wednesday on TNT?

He did not, Bix questioned it on Twitter himself and TK quote tweeted saying "No Bix, I definitely said TNT on purpose"

Looking more into it, the announcement will be on TNT rather than Dynamite.

Edited by porksweats
Clarified it was in reference to announcement rather than Dynamite
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, porksweats said:

He did not, Bix questioned it on Twitter himself and TK quote tweeted saying "No Bix, I definitely said TNT on purpose"

Looking more into it, the announcement will be on TNT rather than Dynamite.

So the announcement will happen on TNT or the subject matter will be about TNT?

Made it through some of the show..

• Fenix vs Claudio was a blast, of course. The spot where he catches him on the dive was perfect and I lived the climbing up the stairs bit too. Claudio is so unchained in AEW. It's not like he's wrestling 100% differently. It's more like 15% differently; it's just doing a few extra moves, but the overall effect is way more than the sum of the parts because I think it's freeing for him. I think he doesn't have to hold back as much or follow certain instruction and that just means he can exhale and relax and dive into who he is all the more. That's the joy of AEW. Maybe sometimes it means things end up as an absolute mess, but when you have a guy who is as good as Claudio and you take the chains off of him, amazing things can happen. 
  • The bits with the pillars were good. It was interesting to have Tay do Sammy's bit. I loved the FTR/JJJ stuff. I would have liked it in general but the pile driver was perfect. Christian's promo was a little clunky at times but he was living in the moment so thoroughly. When they started chanting at him and he just paused with a "Got 'em" smile... Crowd was fun in general. Very "smarky". They got on Dax's case. They booed the idea that Strong vs Jericho would be next week. Etc. Strong felt a little rusty there, but I'm looking forward to the match next week.
  • Cassidy vs Garcia was unquestionably good. This is the second week in a row where the Stundog didn't look right and I wonder if that's supposed to be part of the tired hurt OC thing? It's not like Menard and Garcia can't take stuff clean after all. I'll have stuff to say about this on Monday night on SC. I had hoped the hurt hand thing was going away and it dawned on me WHY I hoped that, and that was kind of a fun realization that I can write a couple of paragraphs about. 
  • Speaking of things hitting clean, the Superplex in Anna vs Julia didn't quite hit clean but I still like that it set up the finish for the match. Superplexes should matter and that one was consequential. They "plundered" the crap out of each other and it got brutal at times. Julia's gear felt a little offputting. I'm not sure if they wanted a strong visual to separate her from "goth phase" Anna, but she seemed more Alexa Bliss-y than usual. I'm just so used to seeing her on Dark/Elevation that it was kind of weird to see her in ghoulish camo for her biggest match ever. 
  • Promo leading up to the Six-Man was good but I haven't had a chance to hit it yet. 
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Octopus said:

So the announcement will happen on TNT or the subject matter will be about TNT?

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

AEW’s Twitter says the announcement will be on TNT.

And the followup to the announcement announcement will be on Dynamite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Julia had worn her regular gear, it would have been a young blonde woman with heavy eyeshadow dressed all in black, facing a young blonde woman with heavy eyeshadow dressed all in black.

So presumably Anna was the home team, and Julia had to wear the Away kit. It happens.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Claudio vs Fenix and OC vs Garcia were a blast. OC's cumulative damage run is becoming something great and this might have been the best match yet. It felt like he really had to show toughness, skill, and guile to get that win.

I am not that weird guy who keeps commenting on Dax Hardwood's body, but his beer gut is showing big time. I'm not sure Special Guest Ref is where I want Mark Briscoe to be, but I am sure he will be the best part of that match.

Isn't Miro and Rosa returning basically showing that Collision is going to be B-Show For Disgruntled Talent?

Christian is a heat machine in 2023 and I love it. I am here to see him carry Wardlow to probably his best match.

I preferred the Julia Hart plunder match, warts and all, to the WWE spooky lighting trios match. When is Bray Wyatt joining the House of Black?

Main event ruled. My only quibbles were: 1) for a match with such violence, some of the basic stuff like punches and knees were VISIBLY whiffed and looked bad and 2) the finish. I will see where it goes, but personally Callis does not excite me as an on-air personality and I don't think he adds much to the BCC act if that's what this is. Why would Callis work so hard to recruit Takeshita and have him save Omega from the BCC though? Good shout to the guy who predicted this by calling Callis bleeding as the pretence to this though. Have to assume the blow off here is Blood & Guts - Moxley/Danielson/Claudio/Wheeler/Callis vs Omega/Hangman/Bucks/Takeshita.

Edited by Steventon
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Steventon said:

Claudio vs Fenix and OC vs Garcia were a blast. OC's cumulative damage run is becoming something great and this might have been the best match yet. It felt like he really had to show toughness, skill, and guile to get that win.

I am not that weird guy who keeps commenting on Dax Hardwood's body, but his beer gut is showing big time. I'm not sure Special Guest Ref is where I want Mark Briscoe to be, but I am sure he will be the best part of that match.

Isn't Miro and Rosa returning basically showing that Collision is going to be B-Show For Disgruntled Talent?

Christian is a heat machine in 2023 and I love it. I am here to see him carry Wardlow to probably his best match.

I preferred the Julia Hart plunder match, warts and all, to the WWE spooky lighting trios match. When is Bray Wyatt joining the House of Black?

Main event ruled. My only quibbles were: 1) for a match with such violence, some of the basic stuff like punches and knees were VISIBLY whiffed and looked bad and 2) the finish. I will see where it goes, but personally Callis does not excite me as an on-air personality and I don't think he adds much to the BCC act if that's what this is. Why would Callis work so hard to recruit Takeshita and have him save Omega from the BCC though? Good shout to the guy who predicted this by calling Callis bleeding as the pretence to this though. Have to assume the blow off here is Blood & Guts - Moxley/Danielson/Claudio/Wheeler/Callis vs Omega/Hangman/Bucks/Takeshita.

I’d swap Takeshita into Callis spot, and leave the fifth on Team Elite for Kota Ibushi. I can’t see them throwing Callis in a match. They could even use the excuse that he tried to recruit Takeshita, and The Elite didn’t want him so he’s bringing him to the BCC instead.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Look,  I like Mox as much as anyone else but if I see two guys out in the street and one is built like Omega and the other is built like Mox,  I'm not going to automatically think either one of them has an advantage.  One guy looks pretty built, is in great shape and very athletic and the other guy looks like a no-nonsense bruiser who is also is decent enough shape.  

I gave those ridiculous comments way too much thought.  I feel like Cornette's co-host now when he's trying to rein the show in after wild hyperbole and trolling. 

Wanna do a podcast with me?

I kid, I kid. My problem with Omega has zero to do with his look. That dude looks the part. No argument there. And Kenny's work doesn't offend me nearly as much as the Jacksons'. Stylistically, I just have trouble taking him seriously against a guy who loves pure, unadulterated mayhem as much as Mox. Like, I wouldn't stick a male figure skater on a hockey team, no matter how technically proficient the figure skater is. Both activities take place on ice, but that doesn't make them the same activity. 

I think, at it's core, that's the issue I have. I hate being asked to view wrestling purely as performance art. As Eddie Kingston said, "kayfabe is dead, but that doesn't mean we have to piss on it's grave..."

My son and I both dozed off during the cage match (it had been a long day), so he asked if we could watch this morning while he had breakfast. Lemme tell ya, my wife loves having a bloody cage match on first thing in the morning!

I was kind of drifting in and out last night on the finish and was confused. I did remember today that they were laying the groundwork for an Elite/Callis split with him trying to get Kenny away from the Bucks and Hangman before this BCC feud took off. I'm guessing we get some kind of thing where Callis is pissed that Kenny's friends dragged him into this and he ended up with his head split open as a result. Honestly, I'll be surprised if this is Callis joining BCC. Danielson even said when it happened that he had no idea what was going on.

Oh, I should add that I really dug the match. It didn't overstay it's welcome and moved at a good pace. I liked that they continued to use the barbwire chair for a while. I've always thought the convention of having to use a weapon once and move on to another in these kinds of matches kind of dumb. Like, the chair is working. Don't throw it away and go looking for something else. Just keep using it!

Edited by Log
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's also possible that Miro is single-handedly designing the video game and that's why it's taking so long

Close.. whats happened is Miro is supervising the team and gets a little.. enthusiastic when explaining his beta test thoughts. In other news . Worker comp filings amongst the team is up 9452%

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought their match overdelivered.  Credit to them. I was expecting a mess.  Also, Anna Jay... I'm going to place myself in the 'Settle Down' section over here.  No comment!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed their match.  I just wish it could have had a little time to breathe before there was an even crazier brawl two segments later.

Also if noticing that Anna Jay has got a damn wagon is wrong then I don't want to be right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Wanna do a podcast with me?

I kid, I kid. My problem with Omega has zero to do with his look. That dude looks the part. No argument there. And Kenny's work doesn't offend me nearly as much as the Jacksons'. Stylistically, I just have trouble taking him seriously against a guy who loves pure, unadulterated mayhem as much as Mox. Like, I wouldn't stick a male figure skater on a hockey team, no matter how technically proficient the figure skater is. Both activities take place on ice, but that doesn't make them the same activity. 

I think, at it's core, that's the issue I have. I hate being asked to view wrestling purely as performance art. As Eddie Kingston said, "kayfabe is dead, but that doesn't mean we have to piss on it's grave..."

The fuck are you on?

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

See I disagree based on what either guy actually does out there. For all the mayhem that his gimmick and persona may entail, Mox doesn’t really lay his shit in at all. His stomps and punches look weak as shit. Compare that to the V trigger that looks like a shotgun blast.

Exactly. John and I called this out 2 or 3 weeks ago that Mox, for all his bluster about being the current BAH GAWD TOUGHEST SOB IN WRESTLING, doesn't lay in his shit at all. His punches look like garbage. If your punches look like shit, then stick to forearm strikes or open hand strikes, which Mox does. I appreciate Mox for working safe and not beating the shit out of people, but some of his stuff doesn't look like it hurts. And then paradoxically, he'll level the shit out of you with a lariat or a chair. Mox is a weird guy and I appreciate him.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Couple other great things about the main:

The chair sliding across Mox's back when Kenny hits the double stomp

Mox using the camera to pop Kenny in the mouth then giving the lens a big smoosh 😄

Mox having difficulty with the rope detachment when he said in his book he used to dismantle an entire ring within half an hour

Danielson's absolute joy with all of it -- until the total seriousness after the cage spot

Also, according to what I've read before, sugar glass is worse than actual glass even though it's not supposed to be. Personally I wanted him to pull out a full pane but I'm a BLOODSUCKING FREAK~! Don Callis must've been too in earlier days because he has a gnarly long blade scar on his forehead. In a night of wild fashion, god his shirt looked like the pattern on a grandmother's couch, along with spangled shoes and... yoga pants?! 

I was working a film set and a guy in my department had a sugar glass bottle shatter in his hand as he was dressing a set. It took two days and 8 workers to get all the blood up. I was told by the on set EMT that at this point the biggest upside to using sugar glass is that there's less chance of infection. My buddy said it was the worst pain he's ever felt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't catch it the first time but Christian immediately going for the cheap heat by dissing a really fucked-up but really proud city like Detroit was a brilliant idea.

And yet it somehow wasn't as cheap as 90% of MJF's promos, since he only had one cheap heat comment instead of going back to that well over and over any time the crowd started to cool off.

I'm always delighted, big goofy grin and all, every time OC pulls out a win.

Best Amigos wasting their "dealer's choice" stip pick on "no spooky witches at ringside" was both on brand and hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A good night of wrestling. the main was great and it was not a typical Omega match. Callis - not sure where it goes. It does reflect how much we need Regal here.

Surprisingly, the vignettes on the 4 pillars was my favorite Well done - and just the right length. I think Jack Perry got the best break out. I enjoyed how Sting and Christian both gave their "boys" the right rub, even with Christian staying in heel mode. 

Thought Anna and Julia worked well. Thought it was my imagination but both Annak and Tay are relatively much more filled out than they were 2 years ago.  

• Like 2