DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/10/2023

Matt D

Fvadl6QXwAE9PbT?format=jpg&name=large

Tossing this up a little early because it's a stacked card.

• Cassidy vs Garcia should be an absolute blast. One of my absolute favorite potential Cassidy opponents. I don't think he's the guy to beat him but I can't wait to see how he deals with the mind games and how they put it together.
  • Anna vs Julia is not a match that they're going to let go out to die. Jericho and Brody and all the agents will have them good to go. The No Holds Barred aspect gives them a crutch that has worked out very well for AEW's women's matches in the past. It shouldn't be boring certainly.
  • Claudio vs Fenix sounds awesome on paper, just an ultimate spot guy vs an ultimate base. Claudio's strength allows wrestlers to do things that they might not normally be able to do and Fenix is going to absolutely take advantage of that.
  • HOB vs Best Friends/Bandido should work out really well too. Just a bunch of well rounded guys who can string together spots and work all sorts of different matches.
  • I would certainly like to hear from Christian Cage and presumably the FTR stuff should have Briscoe involved and that'll be fun.
  • And I guess there's a cage match or something? I think I'm going to watch 3/29/91 Jarrett vs Tom Prichard in a cage instead. How does that sound?
  • Like 9

Claudio-Fenix Interaction was one of the things I was most looking forward to from last year’s All Out ladder match. But (grumbling old man noises) it was still an overstuffed ladder match. This is a singles match! Maybe the number one AEW Fenix dream match? Should be good for all the reasons Matt outlined.

IIRC, the last Detroit show got Blood & Guts. Might be a thing worth tracking over time is just how many big matches/shows Tony’s giving that market. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Claudio-Fenix Interaction was one of the things I was most looking forward to from last year’s All Out ladder match. But (grumbling old man noises) it was still an overstuffed ladder match. This is a singles match! Maybe the number one AEW Fenix dream match? Should be good for all the reasons Matt outlined.

IIRC, the last Detroit show got Blood & Guts. Might be a thing worth tracking over time is just how many big matches/shows Tony’s giving that market. 

This is anecdotal but we sat near some Canadians who came right from over in Windsor since the bridge/tunnel to Canada is two exits away from the Arena so it's a soft launch into Ontario/Canada fans as well.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2023 at 11:34 PM, Octopus said:

I am very excited for this show. I’m praying it has the level of great wrestling that can bring us back our beloved Little Gordphan Annie, @Gordlow. You got this, Tony Khan!

Cheers, nine-brains! I can tell that comes from the bottom of one of your three hearts.

This is indeed the first time I have felt properly stoked for AEW since the ROH PPV. So many intriguing, unanswered questions!

- Cage Match
Omega vs Moxley: Will Mox bleed? Will Kenny gesture? Can Kenny hit a gesture so extreme that it busts Mox open?

-Double Jeopardy
Rey Fenix vs Claudio: Will Rey fly? Will Claudio throw a mean European uppercut? Will Claudio nail an uppercut while Fenix is flying?

-International Title

Orange Cassidy vs Daniel Garcia

Will Orange do sunglasses and pockets stuff? Will noted sports entertainer Daniel Garcia be forced to wrestle, and if so how will the crowd respond?

- NHB
Anna JAS vs Julia Hart: How will Anna counter Julia's vaunted Big Hat Game? Will either lady out-bleed Mox?

-World Trios Title Open House Match
House of Black vs Best Friends/Bandido: Will this be fully awesome or just kind of awesome? I am hoping for "fully." I really want Bandido to pull off an insane strength spot in this one, like doing a massively delayed vertical on one of the big spooky dudes. 

I kind of expect Mox to lose a pint of blood, Garcia to lose his cool, and me to lose my shit.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 11

41 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

- Cage Match

Omega vs Moxley: Will Mox bleed? Will Kenny gesture? Can Kenny hit a gesture so extreme that it busts Mox open?

Well, shit. Now if the match doesn't open with Kenny doing his dramatic point and Mox's forehead spontaneously spurting blood, I'll be disappointed.

Am I the only one way more excited for this card than the PPV?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It feels like AEW is about to get exciting again, which is a wave they rode for almost three years before the recent lull. Fingers crossed that they can keep it hot between now and All Out. 

• Like 10

I'll admit that Anna JASs-Julia Hart is a lot more interesting to me as No Holds Barred than as a straight wrestling match. I'm not a vampire but I think at their current skill levels a brawl has a lot more potential.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Log said:

Well, shit. Now if the match doesn't open with Kenny doing his dramatic point and Mox's forehead spontaneously spurting blood, I'll be disappointed.

Am I the only one way more excited for this card than the PPV?

Damn you! That's what I get for not scrolling down.

• Haha 1

Now THAT was a peak AEW show right there. Love the swerve at the end, love the violence throughout the night. Just a spectacular show top to bottom. 

ALSO, MIRO IS BACK!

• Like 9

That was a full effort show, they held nothing back on that one. Almost feels like a soft reboot - new show about to be announced, Miro back, Thunder Rosa back-ish probably, Punk coming back. BCC acting as a real faction and running amuck. Great show, very little downtime, just straight wrasslin. Their best Dynamite in recent memory, this is what they are good at, keeping doing that.

• Like 11

If I have one complaint it's that they shouldn't have put Anna Jay/Julia Hart on the show if they were going to do that main event.

But other than that? AEW RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!!!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Guys, I'm having a hard time deciding if Orange Cassidy or John Moxley rules the motherfucking world more.

The bit with “I’m so tired, Renee” “Me too, bud” was so simple and perfect.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

I was watching, thinking “my only complaint about this main event is that it really hasn’t involved the cage” and then HOLY SHIT! And also how close to a serious injury!

I, as tradition, missed half an hour even though I wasn't at work. Go figure. But waking up to MIRO and THUNDER returns was fantastic. And then that Orange/Garcia match... phew. That was so, so good. The end was what DEAN might call US Battlarts or US RINGS except RINGS style would be too slow and BA style would end with a punch to the face. 

As said, Xtian still has the hugest heat. The six-man was solid though we were too busy talking pizza and soda (NOT POP) in the Discord. The rules for it were super convoluted but I appreciated the crossed scythes a-la Midnight (the band). Brody Smash! Julia/Anna was the shits but at least it was a cooler.

Of course the cage match was great. Didn't think they were gonna end up using the cage at all until THAT spot. RIP Kenny's nuts. Then the Callis turn is intriguing because I don't think he's gonna end up with BCC, maybe a beatdown but that's it. Kenny still gets to say no one's kicked out of the OWA. Callis goes with who? Mox's little shrug/facial expression about his win was hilarious. And people got shredded by barbed wire and broken glass, what's not to love? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

By the way, it's soda, not pop.

If you're sufficiently redneck, sure.

The action in the main event was top-notch, but the BCC-Elite storyline has been so awful it was almost impossible to care. The nonsensical Callis turn took it down yet another notch.

Rest of the show was good, with Orange vs Garcia being unsurprisingly great.

• Like 1