DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/3/2023

I was only around to catch the first hour and that... sure was an hour that took place. House of Black announcing they are gonna be doing a John Cena US Open bit for the trios belts sure was an odd thing to do right before running a trios battle royal since it kinda removes any sort of stakes from it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, username said:

I was only around to catch the first hour and that... sure was an hour that took place. House of Black announcing they are gonna be doing a John Cena US Open bit for the trios belts sure was an odd thing to do right before running a trios battle royal since it kinda removes any sort of stakes from it.

I think it established they've set their ruleset going forward and that'll be what the winner of the Trios Royale would be battling under.

• Like 2

I just realized we need a 5-match playoff series between Hardys/Isaiah and Briscoe/FTR, alternating homefields at the Compound and the chicken farm.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I actually really enjoyed most of this. It was no fun having to pretend Adam Cole is a tough guy again, and I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe Kenny Omega has any chance against Mox in a steel cage, but I loved Ricky Starks having a bit more of an edge to him and him beating Juice clean. The women's stuff was fine, and Shida is always welcome on my tv. Wardlow vs. Christian will be fun and interesting, if not a state of the art in-ring affair. The main event did exactly what it needed to, and Jungle Boy seems to be growing a ton as a character. 

• Like 2

OH yeah; I could not have loved the Briscoe Farm segment more than I did. I'm okay with more sports entertainment bullshit on AEW TV as long as it's this good.

• Like 5

So my DVR missed the first 30-35 minutes. Did I miss anything good there? What were the worthwhile matches on the show? I tend not to give a crap about segments with my AEW watching, but just bits of the Jarrett/Briscoe farm bits I have seen from twitter make me want to catch that. Please tell me it wasn't in what I missed.

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Got my Randy Savage socks on, got my ZSJ shirt on, got my EDIT: not ringside but incredibly hard cam-friendly seats, got my very last-minute sign made. I don't have to tell you who's name is on it. AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

I didn't notice the sign until AxB pointed it out.  It's a very beautiful thing knowing the sign was on TV and I am glad I finally got to meet you between Dynamite and Rampage.  Loved the conversation and whenever you're down for Harford County brews please DM me and we'll set things up.

I had a blast watching it.  Dyanmite was SUPER fun and Rampage was very enjoyable as well.  I swear tonight's main event had a vibe to it that I think Dean would highly approve of.  When he comes around and back to watching I hope he watches and enjoys this match as much as I did.  Had that old school vibe there for a while which made the later stuff stand out more.  Don't know if it's a match of the week caliber match but damn was it enjoyable.

Oh, and no real road report here.  My friend got off of work late so we got settled in our seats around 7:30.  We had some kinda sorta decent pizza and I had a couple expensive beers.  Nothing special on that front but at least I made it home at a good time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Fun 8 man tag opener.  Welcome back Shida! Crazy to realize she hadn't wrestled on TV this year. Enjoyed the TRES DE MAYO, surprised we made it all the way through without a commercial. Great double Fameassers finish. 

I was hoping ever since Christian came back that he would end up wrestling in this angle too instead of just managing Luchasaurus against Wardlow, so that was cool. Chicken farm skit was epic, need that Jarrett song performance.

Nice win for Starks and a solid tag team main event. Looking forward to Orange vs Garcia next week!

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So my DVR missed the first 30-35 minutes. Did I miss anything good there? What were the worthwhile matches on the show? I tend not to give a crap about segments with my AEW watching, but just bits of the Jarrett/Briscoe farm bits I have seen from twitter make me want to catch that. Please tell me it wasn't in what I missed.

First 30-35 was the 8 man tag (Orange/Bandido/Cole/Strong vs JAS) and Saraya vs Willow.  the Farm bit was in hour 2 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hey

So Double J is cemented as the GOAT for 'Non Wrestling Segments in Wrestling' yeah?
I'm not his biggest fan but man... this dude just GETS the carny kayfabe shit that makes me smile.

No insider jokes. No worked shooting works that turn into workers getting shot.

Just a douche heel, doing douche heel things and thinking he's always in the right.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe Kenny Omega has any chance against Mox in a steel cage,

Kenny did beat Mox in an exploding barbed wire death match so he has some hardcore cred on top of being presented as one of the true aces of AEW.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Kenny did beat Mox in an exploding barbed wire death match so he has some hardcore cred on top of being presented as one of the true aces of AEW.

The post match Gillberg sparklers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PPV is filling up. What are we looking at so far?

Pillars 4-way, Wardlow vs Christian Cage for the TNT-title, House of Black vs The Acclaimed & Billy Gunn, Chris Jericho vs Adam Cole, Ricky Starks vs Jay White, FTR vs Lethal & Jarrett. Obviously something big between BCC and The Elite as well as The Outcasts and AEW Originals. Finally Swerve vs Lee, unless they go with a tag match on that one? Jade vs Taya rematch, also?

Surely, a nice enough PPV, but nothing crazy, if that, or something like that will be the final card.

Rampage tread is closed, but are we really going to buy that Matt Hardy has never seen Commando before? Nobody who has seen it should have been duped by that "We'll let him go" line!

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah, but a steel cage isn’t supposed to have weapons. Kenny’s presented as a prodigious athlete/worker, but a steel cage is a bad fit for his character. What’s he gonna do to Mox that Mox won’t do to himself? 

13 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Got my Randy Savage socks on, got my ZSJ shirt on, got my EDIT: not ringside but incredibly hard cam-friendly seats, got my very last-minute sign made. I don't have to tell you who's name is on it. AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

I did not know you were a DelMarVa homie.  You, me, Niko, Matt, and Mark will have to meet up somewhere and eat delicious food together.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

The post match Gillberg sparklers!

It’s a damn shame that people will only talk about the ending to that match, because everything up until that point was fantastic. 😭

• Like 6

The in-ring stuff was nothing to write home about but I found the angle progression and other non-wrestling stuff to be pretty good this week. The Briscoe chicken farm bit was of course top notch and we desperately need another barn fight match before all is said and done. That was one of those things where you could tell all guys involved were genuinely enjoying themselves and going full ham.

As convoluted as the setup for the four way world title match has been, the main event actually worked pretty well to put things into play there. MJF continues to act like Sammy's best friend, but is so disingenuous and keeps slipping up that you can tell Sammy isn't buying it and is going to go into business for himself. Jungle Boy thinks he has a chance at the top and isn't having any of MJF's bullshit, but MJF is clever enough to make it look like they're possibly in cahoots (as much as I hate the whole "wrestlers don't watch replays/live streams of shows to see obvious heel chicanery" trope it worked here) and you've got Darby trusting no one but himself. In the match itself you had both teams not trusting eachother and working together just enough to win even though each individual was in it for themselves.

Not sure about HOB going borderline Pure Title Rules, but if it gets them in more matches then I'm all for it.

It's good to see Shida back, I legit thought she was going to turn heel for a second. Willow needs to wrestle and win more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

It’s a damn shame that people will only talk about the ending to that match, because everything up until that point was fantastic. 😭

I don't have that PPV yet, because overall,the card seemed pretty random. Would you say that the overall quality of the card is enough to justify the next batch of 20 FITE credits on? The ending was the first thing I thought of when I saw the lineup of Revolution 2021, but I will not let that stand in the way of watching a good PPV.

• Like 1

AEW is in this weird spot with me right now where nothing is really grabbing me, but everything is still pretty good or better. Like, I don't hate anything going on right now, but I don't really love anything either. My interest is a bit in limbo.

I will say that Ricky Starks has jumped up again in my eyes. Fiery, pissed-off Starks is the way to go, IMO.

• Like 5