DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

4 hours ago, Salads said:

The link to the twitter thread translating Tajiri's autobiography was already posted last year, but I think it's worth linking again because it has been semi-regularly updated since and I doubt many others have been refreshing it for the last six months like I have. Last update was in

Thanks so much for this. Not sure if it was the same Twitter user but someone did this with Hakushi's diary from '95 and it was really, really cool. Track it down if you haven't seen it yet, highly recommend 

17 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

If I'm not mistaken, the reason that was common in the WWF was because the title match would go before intermission, and intermission was where you could buy tickets for the next month. So you just got done seeing Hogan beat Muraco, get your tickets now to see Hogan vs Bundy next month, and so on. You couldn't have that kind of racket if the champ was on last.

WWF did this kind of later than people realize. I remember the first house show I went to in 2002 at our then-new arena had Undertaker/Kane defending the Tag Team titles in a cage as the 'intermission' main event, and then Taz vs RVD closed the show for the Hardcore title. It was a Sunday matinee so I wonder if maybe that had something to do with it? 

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Has she been off TV? Guess we will see her in 2024 sometime. 

Yes - she had a minor injury and also did Masked Singer

But the big reason she has been off is she was supposed to be a part of whatever story they had planned with Bray Wyatt

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - she had a minor injury and also did Masked Singer

But the big reason she has been off is she was supposed to be a part of whatever story they had planned with Bray Wyatt

So, she kept busy by getting busy. 😉

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Infinit said:

Weren't title matches/main events also put on before intermission in buildings that had a curfew?

There were multiple reasons the WW(W)F ran the main event before intermission.

• The building curfew, OT for arena workers kicked in after a certain time. 
  • At MSG and a few other arenas it gave fans time to catch the last train or bus out of the city.
  • Ticket sales for the next show started before the last match on the card, whatever angle happened in the main event would hopefully entice fans to buy tickets for next month that night.
  • Crowd was less drunk, so less inclined to riot before intermission.
  • Allowed the main eventers to avoid cheering or blood thirsty fans after the show.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and they also did the main event before intermission, but for most of 1983 the "main event" went on last with Backlund defending the belt against second tier challengers, Don Muraco defending the IC strap got the slot before intermission since those matches set-up the draw for the next month, more than half the crowd would be gone when Backlund hit the ring. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Alexa's partner looks like he makes Youtube reaction videos

I think he’s a singer in a pop band with guitars.

Edited by AxB

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think he’s a singer in a pop band with guitars.

Yeah he's a pop singer who's big stuff was in the early 2000s which means he Bliss was a pre-teen/early teens during that time so she probably listened to his stuff or saw him on TV.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, Sparkleface said:

If I'm not mistaken, the reason that was common in the WWF was because the title match would go before intermission, and intermission was where you could buy tickets for the next month. So you just got done seeing Hogan beat Muraco, get your tickets now to see Hogan vs Bundy next month, and so on. You couldn't have that kind of racket if the champ was on last.

As someone who attended a lot of WWF house shows in Baltimore in the 80s, I can definitely attest to this one.  Aside from the times where they'd announce a new challenger, sometimes they'd do a screwjob in the (middle of the card) main event match, then announce a gimmick return match right at intermission.  For example, Bundy would be DQ'd against Hogan, and they'd announce a cage match next month with tickets ON SALE NOW AT THE ARENA BOX OFFICE!  Jesus, what a fun time to be a fan.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, BrianS81177 said:

This and I believe it was also sometimes done so they could get Hogan out of the building and hustle him to another arena (like if he went on before intermission in Philly, they could get him to MSG in time for the main event)

Or sometimes Hogan wanted to get out and just leave early before the traffic, mobs of fans outside the arena, etc., maybe before the restaurants closed or whatever.  Or get out in time to cross the international date line so he could work that mythical "372 days a year, brother!"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

so the eventual Bray Wyatt retooling if he returns...

maybe he'll become Uncle Bray, a caring mentor who isn't at all weird or demonic now

pair him with somebody new and he's trying to help superstars avoid the mistakes he made..

"It's your friend, Bray Wyatt, here to offer you advice and a shoulder to lean on"

best of luck to Alexa in having to veto any "Bray Wyatt's demon baby is in my womb" angles

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, elizium said:

Alexa's partner looks like he makes Youtube reaction videos

I won't hear slander of my cousin like this...

This is why you'd know him.  

(also, full disclosure, the joke I made above only works if you know he and I share the same last name.  I looked into it once, and ... technically ... yes, but he's like a 5th or 6th cousin)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I won't hear slander of my cousin like this...

This is why you'd know him.  

(also, full disclosure, the joke I made above only works if you know he and I share the same last name.  I looked into it once, and ... technically ... yes, but he's like a 5th or 6th cousin)

You should continue the family tradition by adopting that hair style

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Aside from the times where they'd announce a new challenger, sometimes they'd do a screwjob in the (middle of the card) main event match, then announce a gimmick return match right at intermission.  For example, Bundy would be DQ'd against Hogan, and they'd announce a cage match next month with tickets ON SALE NOW AT THE ARENA BOX OFFICE!  Jesus, what a fun time to be a fan.

That's how Heenan debuted in MSG as Studd's manager in 1984; he caused Hogan to lose by countout, then during intermission he challenged Hogan to sign a contract for next month where the title could change hands on a countout.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 3:35 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Let's wait and see what kind of heat they get for the eventual Dynamite gender reveal.

She already got heat once for faking a pregnancy as an April Fool’s joke.