DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

Yes, that is my brother. I have a few Action Park stories from growing up. I only went a few times. Chris went a few more times than I did with his friends (he is a few years younger than me.)

1) I was an altar boy. Our altar boy summer trip was to Action Park. My mom would never let me go because of the rep Action Park had and I was 10 or so. The day after the trip, my friend Davy came back with his arms bandaged. Amy friend Kevin came back on crutches. The reason why — there was this chintzy train ride that took you from one end of the park to the other and — most importantly — over the major state highway that bisects the park. Kevin and Davey were on the train when the conductor told them they had to get off immediately because it was on fire. Flames started jumping from the engine. Kevin rolled his ankle real bad jumping off the train. Davey had some burns on his arms from the now scorching hot metal touching his flesh. 

2) They had Warped Tours and big concerts for a while. I went to a Warped Tour there and when I got up to the top of the bunjee jumping platform who was there? All of the members of Fishbone. 

3) Action Park was reopened a few years ago for a few summers. We went for Chris’s bachelor party. It was so fucking insane. Their flagship ride requires one to walk all the way to the top of this stupidly high platform where a trap door opens under your feet and sends you plummeting down a water slide. They had another ride that answers the question “What would happen if you were to sit in a tube and slide down a flushing uoside down toilet?” Saw a lifeguard have to rescue a man from drowning after he was propelled into the water from a height of 10 feet in the air. Saw someone intentionally ram the person ahead of them in this weird go-last contraption they have (not the Alpline Slides RIP) and the girl who got rammed saw her flip-flops go flying off, meaning she then had to spend a significant amount of time walking uncomfortably on hot barely paved asphalt looking for her sandals. 

Great place.

My brother is a wrestling fan. Not as big as I am but he keeps up. He had Colt, Sami, Eddie Kingston, Sean Waltman and maybe someone else on different episodes of his TV shows. He read one of my e-fed promos on air to Eddie. He was about to get Roddy Piper on an episode of his TV show hit sadly Roddy passed away before it could happen.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

A lot to choose from for Roman Reigns but #1 by far is The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family at WWE Elimination Chamber 2014. A ***** match. One of the best matches ever.

Has to be the Mania match with Brock at, I think, Wrestlemania 31, that Seth interrupted. Best Roman singles ever, maybe the last great match either man had that wasn't against Bryan Danielson?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Has to be the Mania match with Brock at, I think, Wrestlemania 31, that Seth interrupted. Best Roman singles ever, maybe the last great match either man had that wasn't against Bryan Danielson?

That's the one, mate. Great match. My 2015 MOTY. Gave it the full five. I'd agree with your answer to the second question as well.

11 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Heck I’d throw Logan Paul and Sami out as having had great matches against Roman too. 

Oh yeah, fair. And the Cody match come to think of it, the ending was garbage but the preceding match was pretty special.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

AJ Styles for both guys?

47 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Yeah, good call. I tend to let my personal dislike of AJ Styles cloud my opinion of him, but his matches vs Brock and Roman were excellent.

46 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Heck I’d throw Logan Paul and Sami out as having had great matches against Roman too. 

33 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Oh yeah, fair. And the Cody match come to think of it, the ending was garbage but the preceding match was pretty special.

Good shouts. Wanted Roman Reigns and AJ Styles to go at it again since their great mini feud in 2016. I'd say AJ Styles best opponent is Daniel Bryan. The best Bryan/Styles match was at TLC 2018. Gave that *****.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Good shouts. Wanted Roman Reigns and AJ Styles to go at it again since their great mini feud in 2016. I'd say AJ Styles best opponent is Daniel Bryan. The best Bryan/Styles match was at TLC 2018. Gave that *****.

I’d say (and this is coming from someone that isn’t a “Big Match John” fan) that Cena is AJ’s best WWE opponent. I felt like AJ really brought out the best in Cena, and the SummerSlam match took me by surprise as I fully expected it to be the usual LOLCenaWins routine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

I forgot to mention the Cody match in my post so thanks for reminding me. I’d also say despite the shit ending that Roman vs Seth from the 2022 Royal Rumble was special. 

• Like 2

I genuinely feel John Cena's best match was vs. Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013. What a way to debut what would become Daniel Bryan's new finisher, the running knee putting down the ace in WWE. Few get to beat John Cena clean as a sheet. A ***** match, my 2013 Match of the Year and that was a great year in wrestling. I watched that show live, well worth losing a night's kip over and bought it on DVD. I rarely buy shows on DVD. I've always thought Bryan/Cena was much better than Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk. Sucks Alberto Del Rio retained the World Heavyweight Championship vs. Christian. Shame we never got a Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena rematch. I know I'm a massive Bryan Danielson fanboy but I've criticised some of his previous matches vs. Brian Cage, Jon Moxley and hate the shoot headbutts/diving headbutt he does. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Just found out there's a wrestler in the Barbie movie 

Reveal hidden contents

John Cena as Merman Ken 

His name appeared in the previous trailer, but I don't know if we knew which version of Ken he'd be playing. I don't think he's actually been shown in any promotional material yet. 

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thank you, Brock.

I've never seen this until today, and Hogan's face is hilarious. He was so enraged that he had to swallow figurative, and maybe actually literal, bile that was rising in his throat after that remark. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I've never seen this until today, and Hogan's face is hilarious. He was so enraged that he had to swallow figurative, and maybe actually literal, bile that was rising in his throat after that remark. 

I remember half-expecting a debilitated Orndorff to take a swipe at Lesnar just to see if he could knock him down.

Edited by Hamhock

Feeling like a huge dumbass because despite knowing Sami was Syrian it hadn't occurred to me that he might also be Muslim.

Very cool for him to get to do the Umrah.  Mustafa Ali did as well.

• Like 11

Roman really is on the short-list of GOAT WWE wrestlers. He was awesome from the jump. My top two all-time matches are him versus Sami and The Shield vs. The Wyatts. He has had so many bangers. He also knows how to connect to the crowd and vocalize and use body language better than any wrestler ever.

And his current incarnation with The Bloodline is arguably the most compelling character in wrestling history with an epic years-long storyline still unfolding. Everyone who ends up in Roman’s orbit the past few years ends up more important and better off on the card. 

He is just a genius performer and there really has never been anyone quite like him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Cena vs. AJ at Royal Rumble 2017 was something special and I don't think people are going to realize it until years down the line

It was a great match in itself but I was on the edge of my seat hoping Cena wouldn't tie Flairs record, technically he still hasn't but it made it more exciting for me. I wasn't completely surprised Cena went over but it could have went either way my mind.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

I genuinely feel John Cena's best match was vs. Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013. What a way to debut what would become Daniel Bryan's new finisher, the running knee putting down the ace in WWE. Few get to beat John Cena clean as a sheet. A ***** match, my 2013 Match of the Year and that was a great year in wrestling. I watched that show live, well worth losing a night's kip over and bought it on DVD. I rarely buy shows on DVD. I've always thought Bryan/Cena was much better than Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk. Sucks Alberto Del Rio retained the World Heavyweight Championship vs. Christian. Shame we never got a Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena rematch. I know I'm a massive Bryan Danielson fanboy but I've criticised some of his previous matches vs. Brian Cage, Jon Moxley and hate the shoot headbutts/diving headbutt he does. 

I’d put the Bryan match in my top 3 I think. I’d put the SS match with AJ (where he also loses clean as a sheet), and MITB against CM Punk ahead of it. The MITB one may have had an obvious ending, but sometimes the obvious ending is best. 

And looking at it Cena actually did (at least) four jobs at SummerSlam clean as a sheet. His loses to Bryan, Brock, AJ, and Roman. I didn’t realize that until just now. 

*Edit*

Its actually five I’d forgot about the Batista match. 

Edited by LF2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I’d put the Bryan match in my top 3 I think. I’d put the SS match with AJ (where he also loses clean as a sheet), and MITB against CM Punk ahead of it. The MITB one may have had an obvious ending, but sometimes the obvious ending is best. 

And looking at it Cena actually did (at least) four jobs at SummerSlam clean as a sheet. His loses to Bryan, Brock, AJ, and Roman. I didn’t realize that until just now. 

My top three:

3. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. WWE Extreme Rules 2012. *****. MOTY.

2. John Cena vs. CM Punk. WWE Money in the Bank 2011. *****. MOTY.

1. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan. WWE SummerSlam 2013. *****. MOTY.

Honourable mention to John Cena vs. Umaga, WWE Royal Rumble 2007 and John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar from WWE SummerSlam 2014.

• Like 1