DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

So when did Taz start his "_____ Jones" gimmick, and is there a story behind it?

I noticed "Mezzanine Jones" in the Roddy/Jericho FCA a couple weeks ago, and at the ppv he said "Kendo stick Jones." I assume it's a running gag, and it's amazing.

Most importantly, is there a video comp of all his Joneses?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So when did Taz start his "_____ Jones" gimmick, and is there a story behind it?

I noticed "Mezzanine Jones" in the Roddy/Jericho FCA a couple weeks ago, and at the ppv he said "Kendo stick Jones." I assume it's a running gag, and it's amazing.

In Impact 14 years ago, there was a Wrestler called Rob Terry. He comes from Swansea, Wales.

Taz' co-commentator, Jerermy Borash was attempting to put Swansea over by mentioning all the famous people who came from the area. Now Dylan Thomas isn't a very contemporary reference, but there were a couple of people who are. Tom Jones, and Catherine Zeta Jones.

And mentioning those two back to back caused Taz to fixate upon the name Jones for the rest of the broadcast, and indeed all subsequent broadcasts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Silly question: I may need more coffee, but I don't get it - is Mansury hearing-impaired or something?

People are getting on his case primarily for how the arena was mic'd at Double or Nothing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

In Impact 14 years ago, there was a Wrestler called Rob Terry. He comes from Swansea, Wales.

Taz' co-commentator, Jerermy Borash was attempting to put Swansea over by mentioning all the famous people who came from the area. Now Dylan Thomas isn't a very contemporary reference, but there were a couple of people who are. Tom Jones, and Catherine Zeta Jones.

And mentioning those two back to back caused Taz to fixate upon the name Jones for the rest of the broadcast, and indeed all subsequent broadcasts.

i have always appreciated his '__ Jones' bit, but never knew its genesis. i always just assumed it started on SmackDown at some point i wasn't watching. thank you!

• Thanks 1

They're in Tupelo this weekend. On the poster is:

• Max Caster
  • Powerhouse Hobbs
  • Orange Cassidy
  • Britt Baker
  • Darby Allin
  • The Hardys
  • Hook
  • Toni Storm
  • Anna Jay
  • Dax (no Cash is my understanding)

Who gets to do the concession stand brawl?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

• Max Caster
  • Powerhouse Hobbs
  • Orange Cassidy
  • Britt Baker
  • Darby Allin
  • The Hardys
  • Hook
  • Toni Storm
  • Anna Jay

Oh, neato! They HAVE TO do one, right! Hobbs vs Darby, please!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

He was definitely doing it on his radio show/podcast back when I was an infrequent listener, which feels like a decade ago

I don't think of it as a New York thing but my dad (Queens) used to do it on occasion (cheeseburger jones if I ordered a cheeseburger and things of that nature).  I'm pretty sure with him it's from the Cheech & Chong song though, which is jonesing for something

Someone needs to ask Taz about it

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Matt D said:

• Max Caster
  • Powerhouse Hobbs
  • Orange Cassidy
  • Britt Baker
  • Darby Allin
  • The Hardys
  • Hook
  • Toni Storm
  • Anna Jay

Toni/Britt feels logical, but I'm concerned about how apocalyptically horny it would make certain corners of the internet.

Wouldn't it be funny if TK decided to buy the rights to Kris Statlander's indie music as a present to her, but accidentally bought the Aaliyah song, instead of the Bee Gees one of the same title?