DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

Hopefully this leads to a strong and mean La faccion Ingobernable. 

Matt will be mad, but a story of Hangman in enemy territory would be neat. We already saw him vs Punk, but maybe they can hurt each other’s feelings again and we somewhat get a Punk vs Elite vibe from it. Prob won’t happen though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m staying positive on this split (if the split is accurate). Maybe 2 locker rooms where everyone is best friends. Enough tv time where Hobbs, Starks, and others can get opportunities to shine. 

• Like 4

Just now, Octopus said:

Hopefully this leads to a strong and mean La faccion Ingobernable. 

Matt will be mad, but a story of Hangman in enemy territory would be neat. We already saw him vs Punk, but maybe they can hurt each other’s feelings again and we somewhat get a Punk vs Elite vibe from it. Prob won’t happen though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would be all for a Page/RUSH parejas increibles team. That's what you were trying to say there, right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm pretty sure Max already works less than Roman. 

They've had an equal amount of matches this year of 4, but one of MJF's was at Create A Pro where he showed up with his title.

But Roman has defended the title all 4 matches, only 2 of MJF's in AEW have been.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I would be all for a Page/RUSH parejas increibles team. That's what you were trying to say there, right?

That would be great but I want the world for my Rush

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Wait until Tony brings in Papa Munoz to team with his sons. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

One of the many many rumors/theories was that they wouldn't want to announce that PPVs are going to Max (if they are) until after Double or Nothing, as they are afraid people wouldn't buy that one if they knew future one would only be $10. Don't know if that is true but I can see the logic of not wanting to announce a new streaming deal until after any full priced PPVs take place.

Plus, PPVs make AEW a ton of money. WBD would have to cough up a lot more for the new deal, to cover that, if they really want those shows on MAX. They may not be willing to do that. 

• Like 1

If it's a hard brand split, it'll be interesting to see how they book the world title.  Especially for a company that doesn't run monthly PPVs.  I definitely don't want two top champions; the "world champion defends on both brands" model that WWE never did is a better bet, but it would be hard to do even with six PPVs a year, because one show is clearly the B show every two months.

Another question is how they book the women.  When it was supposed to be a "soft" split, it was reported that TK wasn't going to split the women because there's not enough talent to sustain that.  So now did he suddenly find the talent?  They "don't have the talent" because he books women like he's being forced to.  Seriously, their female booking is a joke.  It's pretty much:

• Dynamite: one match featuring some combo of whatever groups of women are in the top level women's program (currently Outcasts vs Britt, Jamie, & Friends)
  • Rampage: Jade in the same heavily edited squash she's been doing forever, or Jade in whatever unsatisfying program she's in
  • ROH: oh shit maybe more than one women's match what is even happening here?

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If you aren't going to book the TNT title and champion on TNT, then it's time to rename that title.

Jade, the TBS champion, wrestles almost exclusively on Rampage on TNT 😄

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wish I had something more insightful to post, but all I can think is how fucking dumb this roster split bullshit is - I'm actually legitimately angry about it.

Sure, throw your roster on an Excel, and do it softly without telling anyone - but my issue since 2002 with the whole idea boils down to this:

let's say I'm a huge Powerhouse Hobbs fan (I am) but I don't really care about anyone else (not true). If he's exclusive to Collision, what motivation, at all, would I have to watch Dynamite, Rampage, and ROH? 

Shock signings/debuts/returns have, IMO, been a massive driver of interest with nearly every single American challenger brand since WCW - I fail to see the logic in basically announcing ahead of time 'Hey don't bother Wednesday, your guy only works Saturdays' 

Edit 2: and with the above in mind, let me say, there were few things more embarrassing about WWE TV - think about the ground that covers - then having to pretend to give a shit about, for example "My Goodness, that's Becky Lynch! She's a Smackdown superstar, what's she doing here on RAW!?"

(I'm also pretty pissed off that it looks like Sunday PPV is here to stay - at least there are the usual holiday weekend shows).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Removed a redundant word
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

PWInsider is now saying there's no new broadcast TV deal in place with AEW and WarnerMedia and they have no plans to announce one this week.

Also, roster splits are f'n stupid. Always have been and always will be. Keep in mind the original roster split started in 2002 because WWE needed a way to "compete with itself" after WCW died and the invasion bombed worse than Howard the Duck.

You can't have a roster split because you are automatically restricting yourself from using top draws on other shows when needed. That's why WWE's roster split is a joke and continues to be. They have no incentive to compete with themselves. They have people appearing on other shows whenever they see fit. There is no logic to any of this. The restrictions are never followed.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Haha 1

Thinking about this more, this really feels like a missed efed nerd opportunity to have the new show / split caused within the show narrative by having Crisis On Infinite Squared Circles or some shit. Like Collision is the result of CM Punk repeatedly punching the space time continuum from the phantom zone or whatever the fuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

PWInsider is now saying there's no new broadcast TV deal in place with AEW and WarnerMedia and they have no plans to announce one this week.

People with Fight Forever preordered are starting to see the game download on their console, so maybe Tony announces the release date tonight

FwOhYsfXoAIDNQP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I might have to go into exile/hibernation until the ink dries or they're just on AXS after TNA and New Japan, whatever happens first 

• Thanks 1

I want Punk back solely because I enjoyed his wrestling matches in the time he was back (well and because I find the hand-wringing of the people who primarily watch AEW for the Elite, none of which are people I'd categorize as Board Denizens, as kind of funny), but I'm also a human being and a longtime wrestling fan and the idea that they move heaven and earth for the guy, get right to the brink of a massive launch campaign through their media partner, and then after the initial press releases are already written, he put the brakes on and backs out over Ace Steel (of all people) having to come back (of all things)...

I mean, that's pretty funny stuff, right?

We shall see.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

People with Fight Forever preordered are starting to see the game download on their console, so maybe Tony announces the release date tonight

I thought I posted this yesterday but turns out I texted the link to my gf and went about my day: the list of achievements for Xbox has been leaked too, which gives a bit more of an idea of some modes included (spoilers ahead, naturally):

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/05/aew-fight-forever-achievements-revealed-as-xbox-preloads-go-live

1 hour ago, Krone said:

The Joe Schmo Show is back?! This is the single greatest day in the history of our great sport.

Off topic - if you haven't already, I implore you to check out Jury Duty on Prime/Freevee (not the Pauly Shore movie) - it's a new series with a similar premise and it's one of the funniest things I've watched in a long time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

but I'm also a human being and a longtime wrestling fan and the idea that they move heaven and earth for the guy, get right to the brink of a massive launch campaign through their media partner, and then after the initial press releases are already written, he put the brakes on and backs out over Ace Steel (of all people) having to come back (of all things)...

If we're back to the Warrior in 1996 analogy, CM Punk makes AEW buy 5 million copies of his Larry the Dog comic book

Tony launches AEW Magazine so he can give them away for free

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Thinking about this more, this really feels like a missed efed nerd opportunity to have the new show / split caused within the show narrative by having Crisis On Infinite Squared Circles or some shit. Like Collision is the result of CM Punk repeatedly punching the space time continuum from the phantom zone or whatever the fuck

I think AEW's biggest problem right now is that there isn't a hot angle or storyline that's really driving anything. They had it for a brief moment with MJF, and now that's been squandered.

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I want Punk back solely because I enjoyed his wrestling matches in the time he was back (well and because I find the hand-wringing of the people who primarily watch AEW for the Elite, none of which are people I'd categorize as Board Denizens, as kind of funny), but I'm also a human being and a longtime wrestling fan and the idea that they move heaven and earth for the guy, get right to the brink of a massive launch campaign through their media partner, and then after the initial press releases are already written, he put the brakes on and backs out over Ace Steel (of all people) having to come back (of all things)...

I mean, that's pretty funny stuff, right?

We shall see.

Is this a thing someone is actually reporting? 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Do we know if TK is also a comics nerd or just a wrestling nerd? 

Doesn't appear so, but he likes the movies maybe?

Tony Khan Compares AEW to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in One Key Way

"[Iron Man is] still my favorite Marvel movie. I just think that's a great movie. I don't think it's just a great comic book movie. It's a great movie about ingenuity. That's definitely my father's favorite of the Marvel movies," Khan said. "My dad and I saw that, and my dad's the smartest person I've ever known. And he really liked that movie. And so I know that there was something to it. If that makes sense. It wasn't just fluff."

Just now, Dog said:

Is this a thing someone is actually reporting? 

It's in the air. But I wouldn't take it too seriously as of yet. There was some reporting he wanted Steel back.

Sapp (who has said that talent was explicitly told that they would be given a brand in June) just said basically said "Punk is absolutely going to be on Collision" unless something absolutely cataclysmic happened in the last day. But also that it's Punk so that's always possible.

• Like 2