DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

I’m often amazed, from afar, how much coverage boxing still gets on places like BBC 5 Live and Talksport. They gave an hour of 5 Live this week to a boxing show with I presume some British guy vs Alvarez in Mexico this weekend. and all the time given to Fury and the rest. 

6 hours ago, A_K said:

There exists a fervent anti-Fed mindset amongst swathes of the niche hardcore, to the point where we have terms like "Vincels" being tossed around, and language like "cunt" & "shitbrain" (which isn't remotely acceptable in any polite or civilised society, really, not least making the user sound quite low-IQ) & comparisons to far-right analysts like Tucker Carson is given legitimacy and egged on so long as it is used to amplify objections to statistical fact.

How very Tucker Carlson of you to take something legitimately grimy and gross (like the term Vincels) and tie it to people comparing you to Tucker Carlson. Gotta muddy those waters. Gotta put a drop of truth in your bullshit soup to give it legitimacy. Your posts are so negative and so devoid of reality that you have zero credibility. Your posts are the nadir of what this place is supposed to be about. You wring your hands and scream that the sky is falling when AEW literally just locked in a new deal for additional programming with WBD. You don't understand how TV & ad sales work. And all you care about is your axe to grind with the wrestling company you don't like.

Go away.

(I typed this response before I caught up to the mod post. But I feel it still needs to be said. Even if it solves nothing, at least I feel like I've said my peace and didn't let him get away with more of his inane fear mongering).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Hey, who's everyone's low carder act that's crushing it and isn't getting enough love?

Nick Comoroto (against Penta, basing for Andretti and Top Flight)? Nese/Woods (and eh, Davari too I guess)? The Workhorsemen? Diamante's had some good stuff against Riho and others lately.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Hey, who's everyone's low carder act that's crushing it and isn't getting enough love?

Lee Moriarty, completely carrying Big Bill in terms of tag team matches. And also having great singles matches as well.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’m often amazed, from afar, how much coverage boxing still gets on places like BBC 5 Live and Talksport. They gave an hour of 5 Live this week to a boxing show with I presume some British guy vs Alvarez in Mexico this weekend. and all the time given to Fury and the rest. 

I mean I don't know how amazed you should be. The former is the big Cinco De Mayo weekend fight today on DAZN PPV. Yes, that DAZN which touted that they were going to move into the future by replacing the dead concept that is PPV. Same one. John Ryder is the great British hope cause Canelo is to British fighters what Pacquiao was to Mexican fighters. He has been dismantling them. It's for Canelo's undisputed super middleweight title, and before Canelo moved up to 168/super middleweight, British (and Irish) fighters controlled that division which was always the bastard division between middleweight and light heavyweight. Outside of Andre Ward ten years ago and Roy Jones in the mid-90s, it's been the strictly domain of European fighters. Canelo, who is the first Mexican born fighter to have any real successful above 160 lbs (middleweight), has all four belts as the second undisputed champion ever of that division. The first one was Callum Smith, a UK fighter who Canelo absolutely smashed during the pandemic to win those titles. John Ryder, who did hold the interim version of two of the belts and lost to Smith, is tasked with the job of trying to unseat Canelo. I am not giving him much of a chance, but I am also not British so there's that. On top of that, Canelo is returning to Mexico (specifically his home of Guadalajara) to fight for first time in several years. It's probably been like a decade back when he was early 20s babyfaced Canelo Alvarez who hadn't really beat anyone good yet. So yeah, that's the big storyline.

Even though he's semi retired depending on the day, he's still linear champion so Fury is probably going to be talked about regularly. Anyone in that swathe is going to get discussed.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Nick Comoroto (against Penta, basing for Andretti and Top Flight)? Nese/Woods (and eh, Davari too I guess)? The Workhorsemen? Diamante's had some good stuff against Riho and others lately.

Nikc Comoroto is a dude that has a look that has me interested but I don't think I've seen him wrestle a real match. He's looks more like a 1980's wrestler than anyone trying to cosplay 80's. Glad to hear he's got some talent.

I sadly can't place Lee Moriarty. I can't remember what I've seen him do.

AEW is a weird promotion. I want to love it but I often don't feel compelled to watch it week to week. Then when I do pick it back up I feel like the people I was into before aren't doing anything special. Like I remember when Jericho and Danielson were feuding over Daniel Garcia's soul. It felt like a hot angle at the time. I have no idea how it ended.

So I find myself more interested in just scouting the wrestlers that aren't really in angles, but are getting some time to work.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Artists Formerly Known as Bear Country as well as Silas Young should be getting more to do, more often and more meaningful. I guess that could happen in ROH now?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Artists Formerly Known as Bear Country as well as Silas Young should be getting more to do, more often and more meaningful. I guess that could happen in ROH now?

Oh shit Silas Young is in AEW? I haven't watched him since he was getting DGUSA bookings and on top in AAW.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Oh shit Silas Young is in AEW? I haven't watched him since he was getting DGUSA bookings and on top in AAW.

He had an awesome match with Adam Page, but has since then only been pretty much squashed when on TV.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean I don't know how amazed you should be. The former is the big Cinco De Mayo weekend fight today on DAZN PPV. Yes, that DAZN which touted that they were going to move into the future by replacing the dead concept that is PPV. Same one. John Ryder is the great British hope cause Canelo is to British fighters what Pacquiao was to Mexican fighters. He has been dismantling them. It's for Canelo's undisputed super middleweight title, and before Canelo moved up to 168/super middleweight, British (and Irish) fighters controlled that division which was always the bastard division between middleweight and light heavyweight. Outside of Andre Ward ten years ago and Roy Jones in the mid-90s, it's been the strictly domain of European fighters. Canelo, who is the first Mexican born fighter to have any real successful above 160 lbs (middleweight), has all four belts as the second undisputed champion ever of that division. The first one was Callum Smith, a UK fighter who Canelo absolutely smashed during the pandemic to win those titles. John Ryder, who did hold the interim version of two of the belts and lost to Smith, is tasked with the job of trying to unseat Canelo. I am not giving him much of a chance, but I am also not British so there's that. On top of that, Canelo is returning to Mexico (specifically his home of Guadalajara) to fight for first time in several years. It's probably been like a decade back when he was early 20s babyfaced Canelo Alvarez who hadn't really beat anyone good yet. So yeah, that's the big storyline.

Even though he's semi retired depending on the day, he's still linear champion so Fury is probably going to be talked about regularly. Anyone in that swathe is going to get discussed.

I meant more that boxing , to me, has slid down the pecking order of sports, in the US media (although I don’t watch ESPN anymore by choice) but yet it still has, what seems to me, mainstream sports status in the UK and Ireland. All of which is just my perspective, which admittedly could be skewed, since European futbol is the only sports I really watch/consume. 

i know Cinco de Mayo is like boxing’s big day, esp for Mexican fighters, and has been for a while. Hearing that Alvarez’s opponent is/was British was surprising. 

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Lee Moriarty, completely carrying Big Bill in terms of tag team matches. And also having great singles matches as well.

Second on Lee Moriarty, he’s had some great singles matches and he and Big Bill have a fun thing going as well. But he’s getting more TV time lately so maybe he doesn’t count?
I would say Blake Christian but he’s been featured regularly and winning on ROH.

@Matt Dis right about Diamanté, she’s serving a good gatekeeper role for the women’s division. She and Skye Blue had a really good match.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I meant more that boxing , to me, has slid down the pecking order of sports, in the US media (although I don’t watch ESPN anymore by choice) but yet it still has, what seems to me, mainstream sports status in the UK and Ireland. All of which is just my perspective, which admittedly could be skewed, since European futbol is the only sports I really watch/consume. 

I think post De La Hoya/Mayweather, the sort of infatuation with superfights and as Max Kellerman termed it "cash cows" like Mayweather, Canelo, Pacquiao, etc. in boxing pretty much made boxing even more boutique and insulated inside its own little bubble. A couple weeks ago, Tank Davis vs. Ryan Garcia did absurd business in terms of the gate ($22.8 million) and buyrate (1.2 million buys). You cannot do that type of business and not reach some sort part of the mainstream. It was a perfect storm cause of Tank's rising profile as Floyd's on and off again protege, some of his legal stuff and run ins with the law outside the ring, and probably more importantly in terms of grabbing casuals, sort of a weird love triangle between some girl who made a shitload of money on IG named Ari, rapper G Herbo, and Tank. The last part was the talk of Black twitter for months on end. So people know of him even if they never seen Gervonta Davis fight (although him killing poor Leo Santa Cruz went viral cause that was when sports was shut down for the most part due to covid). Ryan Garcia is like half social media star and half Mexican-American heartthrob who was built as sort of an unofficial young protege of De La Hoya (De La Hoya's Golden Boy outfit promotes Garcia). He became the first big star I can think of for Mexican fans who didn't speak a lick of Spanish. So you basically had the protege of Floyd Mayweather vs. the protege of Oscar De La Hoya 16 years after those two fought. It was a huge fight that got a ton of outside coverage.

Due to MMA having intercepted a lot of the coverage and the fact that most of the dudes in boxing come off as bluffers when it comes to facing other top boxers, those fights have been fewer and far between. Having to share that space with UFC has hurt a ton along with just the talk and more talk of fights that ultimately never happen (Joshua vs. Fury, Fury vs. Usyk, Joshua vs. Wilder, Usyk vs. Wilder, Spence vs. Crawford, Canelo vs. David Benavidez, Jermall Charlo vs. either Canelo or Benavidez, Devin Haney or Shakur Stevenson vs. Tank, Haney vs. Stevenson, Haney vs. Teofimo Lopez, Beterbiev vs. Bivol*) has pushed boxing further into that bubble. I also think HBO, even though it's on the premium cable tier, dropping boxing five years ago hurt a ton. You don't have a platform that can get over those storylines with excellent production. The Showtime Boxing output is decent but it doesn't have that same aura as HBO. ESPN with Top Rank has some decent stuff, but unless it's Heisman night, it doesn't feel the same as the old days. DAZN is what it is. They have a good fight or two every now and then. So it's extremely fractured. Those fights I listed above all could do big business (probably not on the same level as Tank vs. Garcia), but guys can make money not fighting each other. It's very frustrating. 2022 was a very good year in terms of entertaining fights, but light on mega fights compared to other years. A lot of it is boxing's own doing. However, when they tried, it's going to go from being on the fringes of the mainstream to being one of the most talked about things going on that weekend.

*The Ukraine-Russia war has thrown a moneywrench into that as WBC refuses to allow Russian nationals to fight for their titles. Beterbiev is Chechen-Russian but has lived for most part in Quebec. Bivol, however, still lives in Russia IIRC and therefore cannot fight for Beterbiev's WBC title. So there is a political thing that's holding that back as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I second the Lee Moriarty love.  He definitely needs a better spot than his current Heel Job Squad role.  His two match (so far) storyline with Rocky Romero in ROH has been really fun.  Bonus points for his Game of Death/Kill Bill gear on Rampage.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

A news report today said that Punk is going to float between Collision and Dynamite, but on nights he's working Dynamite the talent he doesn't get along with (*cough*Bucks*cough*) aren't allowed to be backstage.

If Punk insists on working Wembley and the Bucks are forced to stay home, they won't be happy

Besides making everyone involved seem like they’re fourteen years old, why the hell should the Bucks have to stay out of Punk’s way?  Maybe the situations looks different from the inside, but Punk at least looks like the instigator.  Not to mention he’s the guy who decided to go off script and air personal grievances at 1 am with a live mic in his hand.

lol, I won’t be a bit sad if Punk finds some way to screw Tony Khan over again.  Dude hasn’t learned his lesson yet, it seems.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Besides making everyone involved seem like they’re fourteen years old, why the hell should the Bucks have to stay out of Punk’s way?  Maybe the situations looks different from the inside, but Punk at least looks like the instigator.  Not to mention he’s the guy who decided to go off script and air personal grievances at 1 am with a live mic in his hand.

lol, I won’t be a bit sad if Punk finds some way to screw Tony Khan over again.  Dude hasn’t learned his lesson yet, it seems.

Granted it wasn’t to the extreme that Punk did, but Hangman did it first in a real subtle and sneaky way - in front of way more people, and whether people recognized it at the time or want to acknowledge it now.

And the Bucks should stay out of his way because Punk is a much bigger star than them, and WBD isn’t paying AEW to cater towards them. By all accounts, the network wants him back and they’re willing to pay for it with this new show.

The truth might hurt, but it’s still the truth. And honestly Omega is the one that’s the the most level headed about all of this. Granted it’s a reality show, but you’ve got the Bucks on that show talking about how a backstage fight made them consider retirement and shit. Give me a break.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

He's probably mid-card at this point, but my man Wheeler Yuta. Nothing but time for that guy. I was utterly convinced he'd never be anything but plucky, white meat babyface, and he's become such a little shitheel. I love it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

And honestly Omega is the one that’s the the most level headed about all of this.

I could see Punk doing a program with Omega, but insisting that the Bucks aren't involved.

Since it looks like Kenny and the Bucks are trying to sell themselves as a package deal by hiring Barry Bloom, contract negotiations later this year will be real interesting.

If TK tries to cut ties with the Bucks, does Kenny walk away with them? Does TK sign the Bucks to keep Kenny happy, even if that means they sit at home most of the year like Colt Cabana?

Undercard guys I got a lot of time for: Moriarty, Vikingo, Komander, Hook, & Jeff Jarrett lol. He gets plenty of love, but it's crazy how his presentation as a wily old school throwback Memphis stooging heel is clicking so perfect.

Regarding all the Punk & Bucks stuff, I have a slightly different take. Punk has been told he can't have contact as of now with The Bucks (their call). It seems to me like maybe Punk finally got a bit of perspective and has started a bury the hatchet tour. Went to Raw to bury the heat with Triple H & Miz. Stopped by Impact. Made up with Jericho. I think when he's allowed to have contact with them he may try to make up with them. Kenny I think is already at the point where he'd accept it. I mean maybe not too. But one can hope.

• Like 6

Nikc Comoroto is a dude that has a look that has me interested but I don't think I've seen him wrestle a real match. He's looks more like a 1980's wrestler than anyone trying to cosplay 80's. Glad to hear he's got some talent.

I sadly can't place Lee Moriarty. I can't remember what I've seen him do.

AEW is a weird promotion. I want to love it but I often don't feel compelled to watch it week to week. Then when I do pick it back up I feel like the people I was into before aren't doing anything special. Like I remember when Jericho and Danielson were feuding over Daniel Garcia's soul. It felt like a hot angle at the time. I have no idea how it ended.

So I find myself more interested in just scouting the wrestlers that aren't really in angles, but are getting some time to work.

Comoroto has come a long way. Someone mentioned a while back wanting to see him and Tony Nese do a modern day version of Power & Glory and I would be 100% in favor of that.

As for other guys without angles to keep an eye on Blake Christian has been impressed the hell out of me every time I've seen him. I think he's been busy on ROH but I don't have an honor club membership at the moment (stupid being an adult and having to budget). AR Fox has been nothing but good since he came to AEW.

It's a shame Dark and Elevation are gone because it's gonna be harder to see these kind of guys now.

• Like 4

Sorry for the double post, Young has only appeared for AEW when they've been in the Milwaukee area. He had a competitive match with Hangman, appeared in a 6 man where all he did was stand on the apron and was squashed by Powerhouse Hobbs. I think that's the extent of his AEW work.