DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/24 - 4/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Big main event. Really hope Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens don't lose the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Titles so soon after beating the Usos in a WrestleMania XXXIX main event with the specter of Night of Champions looming...

That’s the thing. If they don’t lose tomorrow then it’s sometime over the next three weeks. There’s no way they run Night Of Champions without the unified tag champs. I’d rather they lose to the Usos than anyone else on the main roster (but I wouldn’t object to Pretty Deadly beating them on Raw or Smackdown next week, most likely via Uso interference).

• Like 1

They're separating the World Titles. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they do a disputed finish and split the tag titles up some how Friday. I mean the one year they just traded belts, logic isn't really a concern here. I'm going to predict a double pin. Jey pins KO while Sami pins Jimmy, Usos stay on Smackdown as SD tag champs, KO & Sami stay on Raw as Raw tag champs.

• Like 2

Never in a million years would it happen, but the dopest angle would be Cody winning the new title, being presented with it, looking at it, throwing it down in disgust, and cutting a killer promo that this win and title doesn't represent the end of his journey, it's a title, but not THE title, and he wants Roman Reigns and will stop at nothing to unseat Roman and be the undisputed champion. Then say something like do what you want this title, I'll defend it, but I won't respect it - I WANT ROMAN REIGNS.

And then in a bit of stealing from NJPW, have Cody go full Naito with the new title treating it like how Naito treated the Intercontinental Championship. 

As for the new title and tarnishing it, I think once you have Cody unseat Roman and completing his ultimate goal, there won't be much damage done to the new title. Hell, have HHH say, look, if you want Roman at Summerslam, you're going to need to relinquish this title. Cody hands over the championship, you get an episode of Raw where people politick their way into vying for the World Championship, and then HHH takes the top 4 contenders on Raw, hypothetically Seth, Omos, Finn, and, uhhhhhh, Theory or something, and then you have that 4 way at Summerslam with the main event of Summerslam being Roman vs Cody.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, The Natural said:

Won't be Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens at WWE Blood Money, I mean WWE Night of Champions.

I think Seth Rollins is the first WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Cody Rhodes wins the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship from Roman Reigns containing the WWE Championship, the belt Dusty Rhodes never won. Wouldn't be surprised if Cody wins the new belt though.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, LF2 said:

Unless Cody films Mortal Kombat 2 I don’t see any way they can hold off on him vs Roman until WM40 if he’s the one to dethrone Roman. So him winning the new belt seems most likely (unless they let him beat Roman at SummerSlam). 

On 4/25/2023 at 1:53 PM, The Natural said:

I think it'll be SummerSlam when Roman Reigns drops the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship. Can WWE keep it going till WrestleMania XL...Xtra Large? 😉.

News:

Bloody hell keeping Roman Reigns' reign into WrestleMania Xtra Large.

Butch and LA Knight start off the wrestling.  Butch breaks Knight's fingers. Butch beats on Knight's chest. Knight is fun countering Butch's thing through the ropes.  Knight is good at a low grade heel offense.  Nice Superplex by Knight.  Hey!  LA Knight gets the win!  He is OVER.  The Street Profits take on Brawn Strowman and Ricochet and the Latino World Order- Joachim Wilde and Cruz del Toro.  Strowman is fun throwing Ricochet over the top to the other four on the floor.  Del Toro is all spectacular in this.  Montel Ford hits a variation of the Ryder Kick!  Street Profits win, I think.  A nurse came by and talked about how much she loved 80s Dusty Rhodes so I was distracted from the match.  That was great.  Zelina Vega and Sonya Deville have a match.  Chelsea Green distracts Zelina and Sonya Deville beats a wad of heat on Zelina.  Zelina wins with a FLASHPIN!  POSTMATCH, Rhea Ripley attacks!  Zelina gets in a finisher to heat up their match in PR next week!  AJ Styles is back!  It's Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens take on the Usos.  The Usos start off hot!  Kevin sells an assbeating.  Sami makes the hot tag!  Sunset Powerbomb by Zayn!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB by Zayn!  Superkick on the top by Jey on Sami!  Kevin Owens with a toprope Fisherman's Buster and then a Swanton!  Fun nearfall.  STUNNER FOR TWO!  Solo comes out and Matt Riddle attacks him!  NEARFALL on a double Superkick.  Sami with the hot tag!  And he kicks Jey in the head and gets the win.  That was fucking great.  HHH! HHH! HHH!

• Like 3

Was not sure that I would see a match better than Melo/Waller this week. Then OC/Bandido happened and thought for sure that had to have been the best match of the week. But then KO/Sami and Jey/Jimmy just tore the house down, which I should have just predicted. 

I know The Usos get criticized for too many superkicks. But I loved how they used the superkicks tonight on KO — just to dissect their prey, except KO never stops fighting and kept alive enough for Sami to make the hot tag and get the win. What a fantastic match as the next chapter of the story starts. I loved Jey’s worried look to end the show - great booking for Jimmy to take the loss since Jey’s worried one, and he can show the fear while Jimmy sells getting his jaw jacked.

• Like 2

The actual "Draft' was a joke.  Minimal effort.  Felt very much like a McMahon produced feature.  No rhyme or reason for most of what was happening.  Hunter says "they are deliberating in the back."   Who is?  Adam Pearce?  Teddy Long?  Who are making these decisions.  Well,  we never find out who or why.  

Also,  Cody being drafted to RAW.  So then tell me,  How is he going to "finish the story" on a show where Roman Reigns is not?  I was all for giving them a chance to see where the Cody thing goes but it's just looking like a huge blown opportunity. 

Business is great right now so I guess it doesn't matter to most but I like the shows to make some sense and have proper payoffs and it's starting to feel like the old WWE is back. 

• Like 1

When Raw & Smackdown split in 2002 a draft made sense. When Raw & Smackdown Live split in 2016 a draft made sense. In no years between or since has a draft ever made sense. Does The NFL just allow whoever gets the first pick to pick any QB in the league? Doesn't have a lick of internal logic. Do these contracts have time frames? Does a 3 year Smackdown contract exist? What purpose does it serve if there is a draft and Raw can just pick your guy?

I get that this is scripted. But scripted and having no internal logic to that scripting is a problem. Can anyone tell me any internal logic here? How can a Raw Women's champ be drafted to Smackdown? It's messy it just doesn't make any sense. And it never has. Rename your damn titles. Take the show name out of the belts. Make it World Women's Champion and Universal Women's Champion. It gives you the latitude to swap things out, like The US & IC.

The truth is a draft should only be undercard prospects and NXT wrestlers being called up. Then if you want to move the big names you do it through trades during the draft. It accomplishes the exact same thing but at least gives you an internal logic and makes sense. How is it supposed to be intriguing when Smackdown picks Reigns and Raw picks Cody? Nothing changed. Wheels spinning. Same old shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's the gummies, but I really enjoyed that show. I liked seeing the old timers, I liked that the first round of the draft made sense and that by the last round it was kinda random. I dug that they drafted factions and teams, no stupid breakups.

And I loved the main event and all the story involved. They teased us with the Solo deal, and Riddle taking him out makes sense since for the first time in awhile lately, babyfaces have loose alliances and stick together.

I liked seeing AJ and the OC get off to a great restart beating up the dopey looking Vikings.

But my favorite part of the show was during the 3 way tag team match. First, Strowman is on the outside distracted by his shirt or something, with his back to the ring as Dawkins is about to leap out of the ring onto him. Strowman turns around just as Dawkins connects. Then, Dawkins has his back to the ring and turns around just as Ricochet hits him with a flip from the ring.

It looked awesome. I put up with watching wrestlers stand around outside awkwardly waiting to get hit or catch someone because I watch modern wrestling. This spot made it make sense. I popped.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

Knight/Butch was a good showing for both guys with Knight getting a much needed win.

The triple threat tag was super un with all three teams looking great. Loved Braun and Ricochet calling back tot he botched spot from last week.

Zelina/Sonya was perfectly decent-solid wrestling that would have worked a bit better in pushing Zelina if they let her win via something more than a flash pin. I do think the post match attack by Rhea and counter by Zelina helped things recover a bit.

Usos vs. Sami/KO was another great match between both teams. Loved the Usos attacking just as the bell rang and taking control. Dug them working over KO's leg and KO's subsequent sell for the rest of the match. Sami was great as a hot tag. The final segment with KO half dead just trying to survive was good and worked well into the eventual finish. Damn fine wrestling as a expected. Might have dug as much as the Wrestlemania match. Was good seeing the crowd so hot throughout and into both teams. 

As for the Draft itself, it was a draft. I don't hate these things outright, but they always have unnecessary logic flaws. Stuff like Bianca being traded as champ is just so damn moronic, and I assume leads to another title trade which no fucking sane person wants to see. I miss when champs couldn't be traded or least not ones representing the very show. People talk about Vince taking over at times, and this is where I kind sense his fingerprints are more in play as HHH and the NXT crew have generally had more sense. With all that being said, I don't think most of the switchups were bad. The OC needed a move to make things fresh for themselves. AJ is also a great opponent to have Roman take on during the Summer. Same with Lashley. Imperium moving to Raw is a good way to find Gunther fresh meat. Gunther would also be a great option to have go for the World Heavyweight title. Same with Nakamura. This could serve as a good minor reboot for him. Couldn't give a damn about Edge and wish the hadn't been included. Street Profits were an obvious move with Bianca moving. Figured Indi won the NXT belt finally because she would finally be drafted. Hopefully her on Raw means the Way returns officially. Was not expecting Alba and Isla to be drafted. They are so damn good and have long been ready though so it makes sense. It means we might get regularly good women's tag titles matches if they keep them a team.

Cody staying on Raw is definitely in the dumb area unless they have him win the heavyweight title but still proclaim intent to challenge Roman for his belts, shows be damned. 

Edited by Eivion

I'm calling Cody fighting his way over the course of time to win the new belt and then take it to the rematch with Roman at the next Mania to unify all three and win it all. The whole " he needs to earn it" thing has been part of this. He came back at the Rumble at 30 and got the title shot. Dusty's son needed to get beat at Mania and then have a long journey full of distractions and hard times before winning it all.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Everything's been one dumb decision after another since the end of WM. but I will be extra bummed if they really cap it off by doing another Formal Exchanging of the Championships to end Bianca's epic 390+ day reign.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm calling Cody fighting his way over the course of time to win the new belt and then take it to the rematch with Roman at the next Mania to unify all three and win it all. The whole " he needs to earn it" thing has been part of this. He came back at the Rumble at 30 and got the title shot. Dusty's son needed to get beat at Mania and then have a long journey full of distractions and hard times before winning it all.

That wouldn't be an issue if you didn't do a unification match for the titles as the main event of WM LAST YEAR.    Is it going to be like the Olympics where every 2 or 3 years they add a new belt to justify another one

I think Cody with the new belt makes him and the new belt look really bad.  Will most people care? No of course not.  He'll continue to sell a shit load of merch and life goes on.  But is it poor writing?  Yeah, absolutely. He needs to beat Roman.  

Furthermore,  when he cut the promo about his Dad never winning the WWE title,  he was talking about the WWE title.  He wasn't talking about a new title. His father was several times over the NWA champion. This is about the title his Dad never won. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is a poorly thought out idea. But the draft pool thing I understand in the sense you have two shows. You can't do a real draft where all the big names go on Fox and then USA gets all the scrubs.

Would Smackdown being the men's draft and Raw being the women's draft at least alleviate the stupid and weird draft pool thing? There are a lot of legitimate big names people care about in the women's division. I think it could anchor Raw just as well as doing half of the roster being eligible. Just thinking out loud.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Maybe this is a poorly thought out idea. But the draft pool thing I understand in the sense you have two shows. You can't do a real draft where all the big names go on Fox and then USA gets all the scrubs.

Would Smackdown being the men's draft and Raw being the women's draft at least alleviate the stupid and weird draft pool thing? There are a lot of legitimate big names people care about in the women's division. I think it could anchor Raw just as well as doing half of the roster being eligible. Just thinking out loud.

I think 95% of why they do it is to tease one brand having multiples of the same belt (Smackdown with both women’s champions and Raw with both secondary belts at the moment). Even though everyone watching knows come Monday they’ll draft Rhea to Raw and Theory to Smackdown to correct that. 

• Haha 1