DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/12/2023

The Natural

I fully get this is a me problem, but the Orange Punch is a lame finisher for Cassidy. Even though the psychology of the match with Buddy revolving around his hand was well done I just don't buy it as a finisher from him. That's mainly due to my thought that in order for a wrestler to have a convincing "strike" finisher, they either need to be hoss-like in size or have some sort of martial arts background/their strikes being emphasized as especially vicious. I can buy Roman's superman punch because he's a big, powerful guy. I can buy Danielson or Malakai having kick/knee finishes because of how their striking ability is reinforced through the rest of their movesets. While I like OC as a wrestler, nothing in his size or regular offense makes me believe he could deliver a knockout punch to someone. See also small guys who use the spear as a big move (Edge, Starks).

The mishmash of different factions, associations, and people coming in and out of the angle dropped any interest I might have had in the Private Party/Hardys/Ethan Page business. What's Marc Quen's injury status?

I don't care how they try and spin it, the BCC are still the faces in this program with The Elite

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, can we just fucking kill this QTV shit already? It doesn't help Hobbs, QT sucks (as an on air personality, as a trainer he's fine), Wardlow is just going to get dragged down further with this. Like, if you want to kill two birds with one stone, just next week have Wardlow destroy all of QTV so they're never seen again, Wardlow gets his heat back by getting rid of a dead weight/2000s WWE Attitude Era faction, and then we can just focus on Hobbs and Wardlow.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I am doing everything I can to manifest this into being.

I'm attempting the opposite by trying to kill the repetitive and pretty questionable QT/QTV hate. Help me understand where this hate comes from? What I'm seeing is, other than Don Callis, one of the better classic heel managers, in the Heenan tradition, in a long while? QT has excellent heel delusion (see solid comic timing), talks well, and bumps around like a total pro. And he's consistently efficient in-ring. He even had a pretty terrific bout alongside Hobbs against the Lucha Bros last week. It always feels like ppl hate on QT, at least in part, because he's part of the management. But why? Hunter Qearst Mar-shall abusing political power he absolutely is Not. He barely ever wins and always provides a nice Dark showcase for whomever he's putting over. I like to think I'm wrong here and the haters r just upholding kayfabe far better than I. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  Yeah, Orange Cassidy vs Buddy Matthews is the second best match of the year, behind Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay- all one hundred percent from Cassidy's selling.  So it would be the best match of the year in an old school way.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Keith Lee's immobility is a feature and not a bug. I'm the guy who loves late-era Andre, though. Lee represents something completely different to everything else in the company, a unique problem that has to be solved. Jericho treated him with absolute respect in that match. He was treated like a force, like a center of gravity, like a powerhouse. Jericho only had an advantage when Keith Lee was half off his feet and it was his job to keep him that way all through the commercial break. Whenever Lee was fully on his feet, almost nothing Jericho could do would phase him. Conventional tactics don't work on him. If you had half the roster moving at his speed and wrestling like him, it'd be boring. But one guy who is treated like this? That's interesting! Wrestling doesn't need to be one thing, so long as everything is made to have a consistency of weight and meaning based on unique and differing qualities. I absolutely want to see one Keith Lee match where a wrestler has to deal with this slowly encroaching doom coming for them every 2-3 weeks. It's not every match but it stands out. 

On paper that sounds great. In reality Keith was a bit shabby here at points. I did like a lot of the things you mentioned and thought Jericho wrestled around him rather well. Conditioning did present itself as possible issue for Keith here. Also, in a cosmetic business such as this the strange old man with a cape presentation is an interesting if questionable choice. Not suggesting bad. Part of me really likes it, but I can't help but wonder how the audience at large perceives this.

Lastly, is the late-era Andre love the influence of Eric Ritz's fanastic and hilarious analysis or is it vice versa? Eric's commentary very much helped me re-embrace the Andre I always loved too.

14 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

You can apologize now

Keith as the low-hanging fruit used to get Cole to turn on him and join Mogul Embassy is a fine choice, but holy shit that main event was boring

Did you eat paint chips as a kid lol? The stories are Adam Cole vs Jericho & Swerve vs Keith Lee. Cole is not turning heel on Keith Lee nor joining the Mogul group. I have nothing to apologize for. That was Jericho's best singles match in a long time. Not sure how you can say a 300lb+ guy pulling out a moonsault equates to being immobile. But I have fed the troll too many time as is so I say good day to you sir.

• Thanks 1

Just now, just drew said:

I’m not sure why everyone’s wanting Jay White to go over Stroke Daddy Starks…

Man, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see it with Starks. Not right now. I don't think he's a lost cause or anything even close to that, I just don't see him as a top of the card guy yet. Don't get me wrong, I like him quite a lot. I just see him as like an upper-midcard guy. To put it in 80's WWF terms, I see him at the Intercontinental level like Steamboat or Jake. Not saying he could never be a main event guy, I just don't see it yet. I can't put my finger on it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

On paper that sounds great. In reality Keith was a bit shabby here at points. I did like a lot of the things you mentioned and thought Jericho wrestled around him rather well. Conditioning did present itself as possible issue for Keith here. Also, in a cosmetic business such as this the strange old man with a cape presentation is an interesting if questionable choice. Not suggesting bad. Part of me really likes it, but I can't help but wonder how the audience at large perceives this.

Lastly, is the late-era Andre love the influence of Eric Ritz's fanastic and hilarious analysis or is it vice versa? Eric's commentary very much helped me re-embrace the Andre I always loved too.

Amusingly, Eric and I often get to the same place in different ways. I assure you that he didn't get to 89 Andre fandom through the Demolition vs Colossal Connection matches like I did, just like we both came to appreciate John Nord and Judy Martin separately. You'd think we'd coordinate better considering out mutual Segunda Caida output and sometimes we do if one of us finds something the other would likely really enjoy or want to corroborate an opinion, but we kind of end up just doing our own projects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Darby-Swerve ruled. I love that these guys have their own strengths and specializations (Darby with making dives or high-concept spots look as high-impact and devastating as possible, Swerve with the catlike agility and physical charisma), but still sweat the small stuff and get the story to the point where foot-biting feels like a pivotal spot that plays like a million bucks. Stomp to the floor was great, stuff that nobody else should be doing if it doesn't look as good as these two. Opening and closing the show with Swerve may portend good things. Hope he's on the shows more, I know a lot of us want more for him. 

Well done on Sting's part to make sure the MJF-Cody issue is still on everybody's mind. Gotta keep the 2024 SummerSlam main event hot~!

QT's fine. Hobbs doesn't need an amateur-hour goof troupe. These things do not belong together. Anyway, the car angle sucked. All the criming QT and company have been bragging about has been bad enough. But why is Hobbs just standing there watching the screen for minutes on end rather than acting with any urgency to stop to laborious vandalism being done to his property? This screams someone booking some vehicle stuff they remember working in the '90s and not sweating the details. But people are "haters" or whatever.

OC presented such peril with the hand stuff that I thought Buddy Matthews of all people are taking down one of the most protected acts going. In a company where hierarchy is VERY rigorously enforced, that's a towering accomplishment. 

Squash was the cruelty we wanted and expected. Fuck your callbacks and melodrama. Just let Omega hit him with the gear case. As much as I like the idea of CMFTR vs Elite, these guys make choices every week that let me know it's a match that plays better in the imagination than it ever would in reality. 

As much shit as I'm always inclined to give Jericho, him fighting to get himself up from that codebreaker counter into the powerbomb and then take that thing at his age is something to be remarked on. Good effort.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Log said:

Man, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see it with Starks. Not right now. I don't think he's a lost cause or anything even close to that, I just don't see him as a top of the card guy yet. Don't get me wrong, I like him quite a lot. I just see him as like an upper-midcard guy. To put it in 80's WWF terms, I see him at the Intercontinental level like Steamboat or Jake. Not saying he could never be a main event guy, I just don't see it yet. I can't put my finger on it.

That’s fair, and tbh I probably overvalue charisma & promo ability. He’s never been better than “pretty good” in ring. He’s just miles ahead of anyone in that company when it comes to “it factor.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gorman said:

I'll see your Mogul Embassy and I'll raise you a Trust Factory Wingmen Project (In my EWR game, Ari Daivari uses his money to buy up the other stables, only to find that he has a giant group of lower midcarders)

A lot of the time I worked for MCW, the main heel stable was Total Quality Management lead by Jimmy Cicero. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Explaining away Keith Lee's bad match with "well I liked watching Andre wrestle when he was dying and in severe pain" is exactly the hot take I would expect from this forum

Deranged, the lot of you

Spoiler

DVDVR (@D_V_D_V_R) / Twitter

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A lot of the time I worked for MCW, the main heel stable was Total Quality Management lead by Jimmy Cicero. 

That's great - our Jimmy Cicero stable in Steel City Wrestling was High Society. After Cicero and Cueball Carmichael won the lottery, they staged a corporate takeover of SCW (but didn't dress fancy despite their newfound wealth)

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure why everyone’s wanting Jay White to go over Stroke Daddy Starks…

Because White is better overall. I’ll take his in ring over Starks any day, and promo/charisma wise I prefer Jay. I don’t think there’s much to Starks beyond that goofy one note pose he hits during his entrance. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm surprised Silas Young didn't even get an entrance and got squashed, in his hometown to top it off. That's some straight up McMahon treatmemt.

15 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ugh, I hear that. I had no expectations of Young winning, but a competitive 5 minute match would have done Hobbs better than that nonsense.

Yeah it sucks that every time Silas has been used on AEW TV he is treated like a local no-name. I enjoyed his old school "last real man" stuff he did in ROH, and I feel like that gimmick could easily work in AEW.

8 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Matt Hardy initially says he and PP are free of the firm but then it's suddenly they have a match with the firm to win their freedom?!?!

Just guessing, but I think what they were going for is that after the Hook match, the Firm no longer has control over making matches for Hardy/PP and can no longer ban them from using moves, fine them, etc. In storyline, The Firm still owns the contracts though so they would be getting a cut of whatever earnings Hardy/PP get (which is what the 8 man tag would be for I assume). It kinda makes Matt look like a chump, since he could have just put a clause to attain total freedom in Page's contract for the Hook match.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

No, you're right. OC hits his out of nowhere. It's like the Diamond Cutter for him. Roman just always telegraphs his.

Which has always bugged the hell out of me. You'd think an opponent would hear Roman shout "OOOH AAAHHH" at the top of his lungs and think "Hey, he always does that right before his finishing move - I better get out of the way". The one that really bugged me was HBK stomping on the mat for like 2 minutes before doing the Sweet Chin Music.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gorman said:

That's great - our Jimmy Cicero stable in Steel City Wrestling was High Society. After Cicero and Cueball Carmichael won the lottery, they staged a corporate takeover of SCW (but didn't dress fancy despite their newfound wealth)

IIRC, Jimmy, Cueball and Dino wore turtlenecks and slacks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Because White is better overall. I’ll take his in ring over Starks any day, and promo/charisma wise I prefer Jay. I don’t think there’s much to Starks beyond that goofy one note pose he hits during his entrance. 

Yeah, but you think adam Cole is a top guy, so I’m not sure I’m gonna lend any credibility to your opinion. Watch that promo Starks cut on MJF and tell me there’s not much to him…

I've seen multiple people complaining about Silas squash. How? Why?

So I saw one person say that should have been an unknown jobber, not an established guy. No. Hobbs gains more from being a minor somebody vs beating a total no one. For instance would a freshly turned heel in the late 80s gain more by beating a jobber in quick fashion or beating Tito Santana, form IC Champion just as quick.

I also saw someone else say it was very WWE like to have him lose in his hometown. Well, no it wasn't. Because Silas doesn't work for AEW. He's not on the roster. Milwaukee is the only town they use him in. So it's the only time there's a spot available for him. And yes WWE's trope of killing guys dead in their hometown sucks, AEW doesn't really do that. They mostly present their roster as world beaters in their home towns. Which is the correct way to book. But nothing effect can be done 100% of the time or it loses it's effect.

Also Silas Young is... not good enough to be on this roster at this point in his career. His options are never get on TV the rest of his career, or accept a job spot like this that gets him on TV again gets him paid and helps give back to the business.

Everything about Hobbs squashing him makes total sense. Well except QTV existing and being out there while it was happening.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I've seen multiple people complaining about Silas squash. How? Why?

So I saw one person say that should have been an unknown jobber, not an established guy. No. Hobbs gains more from being a minor somebody vs beating a total no one. For instance would a freshly turned heel in the late 80s gain more by beating a jobber in quick fashion or beating Tito Santana, form IC Champion just as quick.

I also saw someone else say it was very WWE like to have him lose in his hometown. Well, no it wasn't. Because Silas doesn't work for AEW. He's not on the roster. Milwaukee is the only town they use him in. So it's the only time there's a spot available for him. And yes WWE's trope of killing guys dead in their hometown sucks, AEW doesn't really do that. They mostly present their roster as world beaters in their home towns. Which is the correct way to book. But nothing effect can be done 100% of the time or it loses it's effect.

Also Silas Young is... not good enough to be on this roster at this point in his career. His options are never get on TV the rest of his career, or accept a job spot like this that gets him on TV again gets him paid and helps give back to the business.

Everything about Hobbs squashing him makes total sense. Well except QTV existing and being out there while it was happening.

Imagine critical thinking hurting your brain so much that you just take the position of "Tony Khan is always right" and work your way backwards from there

What a waste