DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage and Battle of the Belts VI - April 7, 2023

elizium

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's a little frustrating to see people surprised by the Julia character when we've been seeing her for months. I didn't love that she did the front handspring (which she hasn't done in her squshes). I though the Queenslayer/Heartless stuff towards the end was solid. Nothing was egregious certainly (Julia should have given her another second to square up before the moonsault press). It was better than Anna's match against Britt, but a heel vs heel match is a bit of a tough sell overall.  I'd like to see Hayter vs Julia.

Is it frustrating or just a clear understanding that so few, even here, watch the Youtube shows? Yeah, she should never do the awful handspring bullshit. Who's responsible for influencing all the ppl trying their own take? Or better question, is there anybody that actually does it well? Somebody in Stardom perhaps? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Krone said:

I do think BotB would have benefited from FTR/Gunns being on that show, but do you really want to do a title change at 11:57pm on a Saturday night? I see both sides of the spectrum, but unless they got/get a better time slot - I understand the hesitancy to put a big time match like that on there.

I do think the AEW roster is big enough to allow for some bigger matches than we get right now. Totally okay with Jade/Starkz, but maybe an OC vs. Kip rematch? Just something where the winner isn't a given. Lucha Bros were never gonna lose either after winning the belts so recently, but that's TK booking. I wouldn't mind maybe a few more title changes just for the surprise effect than what we have been given recently.

It's interesting that you make a call for bigger matches and then request Kip-OC. I think you ought to be fairly compensated for your reasonable request. You answer your own call on the FTR-Gunns, but the answer is more definitelively no, you don't want to do it in that timeslot. Rampage's numbers range where they range, and a 2 hour version with hour 2 being named something else doesn't make a huge difference. 

All that said, building up matches and properly promoting them on the Wednesday shows would certainly better benefit the Friday Night show. Properly promoting in the sense of not having a MicroMachines Ad(d) and especially not one annoyingly distract over your Dynamite Main Event. Dynamite could really benefit from a half hour or hour pre and post show. It could give them an opportunity to sell the matches properly. And Warner seems to want to hold the AEW audience. Proper announcement of matches, promos and video packages are things this company has always overlooked. They do a nice job with the Road TOs, but so few ppl see those. I like to think whatever the Saturday show is will use that time to sell some of the Wednesday, maybe even Friday, sizzle, but I'm not counting on it being just more crammed TV.

Lastly, AEW could really benefit from having more mid to lower card rematches from Youtube on Rampage. And on all their shows. They tried this with Matt Sydal and Dante Martin, which felt like it moderately worked. Match 1 on Youtube with an attempt to create some word of mouth. Match 2 on Rampage. With limited TV time available, it seems to make a lot of sense to try something with the mid and lower card guys on youtube. It might not be a huge boost for just one specific match, I mean Dante-Sydal is not a 'Main Event in any arena in the world', but maybe a few ppl would start to see the pattern and spread some word of mouth on some of the more intriguing match-ups. More effort to create synergy with the lesser watched programming seems like a potential benefit that's at least worth a try.

• Like 2

There’s really no need for Battle of the Belts/Clash of the Champions/SNME anymore.  Those shows are from a bygone era where most WWF/Crockett TV was all squashes and name guy vs name guy was a treat to see on free tv.  Now Dynamite gives you a Clash quality show every week.  It’s redundant.

Unless you’re using your specials to do something different format-wise, like a Battlebowl, round robin, etc., there’s no use for it.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Unless you’re using your specials to do something different format-wise, like a Battlebowl, round robin, etc., there’s no use for it.  

I think the TV channels wanted an extra hour now and again. It gives the people who like to watch wrestling a few more matches to watch and gives everyone else something else to bitch about apparently.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

There’s really no need for Battle of the Belts/Clash of the Champions/SNME anymore.  Those shows are from a bygone era where most WWF/Crockett TV was all squashes and name guy vs name guy was a treat to see on free tv.  Now Dynamite gives you a Clash quality show every week.  It’s redundant.

The initial idea seemed like a way to fill out the yearly schedule of Special Events (PPV, PLE) between three month PPV intervals. Ultimately tho it was an hour show on an off night to appease a network 'want' which was always gonna be a tough thing to book as far as: Do you want to air your built up matches on a 1 hour Saturday Night show with a much smaller portion of the audience? Some will argue that they've never really booked them well enough to draw, but I think they just properly forecasted the viewership. At this point the show is established enough that anybody expecting a version of the Clash or the Main angles to play out is the one at fault. I do like the idea of experimenting with ideas on a show like this. Bring on the Battle Bowl! I'd also suggest something less complex as taking the opportunity to do an All Women's show. 

• Like 4

Literally everyone on the board wants Lethal Lottery/Battle Bowl. The strength of the AEW Roster is in the weird potential matchups and interactions. The weakness is that we can never have enough. The occasional Deadly Draw is the solution.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LF2 said:

Isn’t Jade supposedly practicing with Bryan Danielson? If she is either she’s not improving at all or his teaching skills are incredibly overrated. I agree with you that she’s shown next to zero improvement, but as long as guys keep drooling over her physique then her push is here to stay.

I think she’s learning things, but her processing and incorporating of those things is slow because she doesn’t get to practice in real contexts. When she doesn’t have a squash, you can see her looking like a junior high school kid in a play, reciting lines instead of being a character speaking them. Stopping and looking for where their next mark is. 

I’m not sure if she had done any wrestling training prior to being signed and on TV, but one benefit about coming up through indies is that you learn to bump and sell and work with your opponent before you learn to do big moves.

She did show some improvement, if I recall correctly she had a surprisingly decent match with Anna Jay. But since then she’s hit another wall and reverted to mostly squashes where she makes her opponents look like shit. She had a glorified squash with Athena, which was a fantastic learning opportunity. Her matches with Willow are competitive in the sense that Willow gets to hit one big move and get a flash near-fall before the kip-up, pump kick, Jaded.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I felt that the name BATTLE OF THE BELTS could be used to bring in other promotions champions. Keep NWA/ROH/AAA titles off of Dynamite &Rampage and have Botb feel special

after giving it some thought I feel a missed opportunity with not giving Billie the win here. Jades been very dismissive of he opponents so you could had her taking the competition so lightly have a consequence. Maybe a bit off backfiring interference from Leila Grey and Billie is your Mickey Wiperwreck accidentally champion, then you can still do the feud with Taya (unless the plan is for Taya to give Jade her first loss)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The initial idea seemed like a way to fill out the yearly schedule of Special Events (PPV, PLE) between three month PPV intervals. Ultimately tho it was an hour show on an off night to appease a network 'want' which was always gonna be a tough thing to book as far as: Do you want to air your built up matches on a 1 hour Saturday Night show with a much smaller portion of the audience? Some will argue that they've never really booked them well enough to draw, but I think they just properly forecasted the viewership. At this point the show is established enough that anybody expecting a version of the Clash or the Main angles to play out is the one at fault. I do like the idea of experimenting with ideas on a show like this. Bring on the Battle Bowl! I'd also suggest something less complex as taking the opportunity to do an All Women's show. 

They could've easily done more to build up these shows and make them a bigger deal. They simply did nothing to do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I felt that the name BATTLE OF THE BELTS could be used to bring in other promotions champions. Keep NWA/ROH/AAA titles off of Dynamite &Rampage and have Botb feel special

after giving it some thought I feel a missed opportunity with not giving Billie the win here. Jades been very dismissive of he opponents so you could had her taking the competition so lightly have a consequence. Maybe a bit off backfiring interference from Leila Grey and Billie is your Mickey Wiperwreck accidentally champion, then you can still do the feud with Taya (unless the plan is for Taya to give Jade her first loss)

If not Taya at this point, then who? I really like Jade, but she is in desperate need of something new and the belt is becoming a bit of an albatross around her neck. Unless Stat is coming back right away, as in like the next few weeks, there's no reason to hold off any longer. I love Stat but she's had shit luck with injuries and if having her beat Jade is what is keeping everything in a holding pattern then I'm sorry, but I think you need to move on. Stat can get over on her own and if she's healthy I have no doubt she will win one of the belts at some point, she doesn't necessarily need to be the one to beat Jade.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elizium said:

If not Taya at this point, then who? I really like Jade, but she is in desperate need of something new and the belt is becoming a bit of an albatross around her neck. Unless Stat is coming back right away, as in like the next few weeks, there's no reason to hold off any longer. I love Stat but she's had shit luck with injuries and if having her beat Jade is what is keeping everything in a holding pattern then I'm sorry, but I think you need to move on. Stat can get over on her own and if she's healthy I have no doubt she will win one of the belts at some point, she doesn't necessarily need to be the one to beat Jade.

All Out in Chicago. Build it between now and then.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2023 at 7:06 PM, TheVileOne said:

AEW has completely and utterly given up on Battle of the Belts. These are throwaway cards.

Did anyone seriously think any of the belts might change hands,  it looked like a Sunday Night Heat card to me,  I was fairly sure before the matches started that Billie Starla or QT Marshall we’re not picking up wins.

How many belts have changed hands on Battle of the Belts?  Once?  Was Sammy Guervara-Cody on Battle of the Belts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

How many belts have changed hands on Battle of the Belts?  Once?  Was Sammy Guervara-Cody on Battle of the Belts?

I think Cody beat Sammy on Rampage, Sammy won the interim TNT title at the first BOTB, the unification ladder match was on Dynamite.

There was a Scorpio Sky - Sammy Guevara title change at a BOTB, but I cant' remember who won it from who.

• Like 2

Producing lot of shows is what WCW used to do, I was a fan of that approach of many shows in the 90's. Of course like  WCW Nitro in the past, AEW Dynamite is the only show that strongly matters in the many multiple show system, the other televised shows are more content for people who want more.

7 hours ago, Dural said:

Producing lot of shows is what WCW used to do, I was a fan of that approach of many shows in the 90's. Of course like  WCW Nitro in the past, AEW Dynamite is the only show that strongly matters in the many multiple show system, the other televised shows are more content for people who want more.

Yeah, another show and the degree of weekly content thereafter feels like the most WCW revivalist move yet. I really liked the initial output of a streamlined 2 hour flagship and an hour streamer (for my weekly threshold), but that didn't last very long. It's also interesting and seems leading on how WBD feels about the letters ROH in comparison to AEW with this forthcoming, less than vital, additional 2 hours. Dropping the Darks for this would be welcomed, but not at all expected. I also don't expect but would welcome these shows to be taped at Center Stage (or, okay, Universal) and the show to be called Saturday Night rather than Collision. Maybe we could have Slobberknocker Jim climb over to this one and have him study his old TBS tapes. And bring back Ventura. Imagine what a Body/Ross team would sound like in 2023. All semi-wishful thinking that is surely not to be.

My brother, who is more into AEW than I am, gets somewhat annoyed with me because I only watch Dynamite and PPVs (annoyed because he wants to talk about the other shows with me but I don't watch them) while he also watches whatever is on Fridays. I feel like I get what I need from AEW from their two hour flagship, and while Rampage/BOTB/Dark I have no doubt have some entertaining matches from time to time it isn't enough to get me to watch as I don't feel I am missing anything critical to the story. And I have other hobbies that take priority. I'm not sure how TK at this point could rope me in but I do keep up with the other shows so if anything changed I'd be in theory willing to give it a try.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Did anyone seriously think any of the belts might change hands,  it looked like a Sunday Night Heat card to me,  I was fairly sure before the matches started that Billie Starla or QT Marshall we’re not picking up wins.

EDIT:

OK so the second Battle of the Belts had Sammy beat Scorpio Sky to win back the TNT title which I had totally forgotten about. So I think that's the only official title change, unless you count Sammy/Dustin for the interim TNT title.

Edited by TheVileOne

Just now, TheVileOne said:

There's never been a serious title change unless you count Sammy vs. Dustin for the interim TNT title, which happened because Cody was sick and unable to wrestle that night. So they made Sammy vs. Dustin for the interim belt as a replacement and had Sammy vs. Cody unify the titles with that Dynamite ladder match.

There was the Sammy vs Sky TNT title change on BOTB II but that's it since then.

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

All Out in Chicago. Build it between now and then.

I always assumed she's been signed, she's wrestled something like 80 AEW matches? Happy for her!

• Like 2