DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE- 4/5/2023!

DEAN

12 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

The Natural and Bryan Danielson (w/ Lennox Lewis and Diana Hart-Smith) vs The Lucha Bros in a taunt-off is my smokey for the show opener.

I am trying to think of the 2023 equivalent of Lennox Lewis that could accompany someone. I know he was a top HW prospect at the time but the whole "I am also Canadian AND Jamaican" thing really made him a man without a country. I think that's why shortly after SummerSlam 1992 he started fighting mostly in the United States.

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

So am I the only one that didn’t care for the MJF variety hour? I thought like usual that his segment was endless, and until the JB attack pretty much pointless too. He’s like a much worse version of the champion over in WWE (both in ring, and with his overindulgent promos). 

I do think it’s going to be interesting seeing when they do Blood and Guts, and how they go about trying to make Kenny and The Bucks appear tougher than they usually do. 

My biggest takeaway is Tony better have one hell of a main event in mind for Wembley if he wants to sell it out (Okada vs Omega maybe?) 

Can't be too critical of a talent who manages to get the crowd chanting "ADD, ADD" on a high school story. That said, beginning & end of this segment was definitely a flop. He did better work on his previous Long Island visits: crowd was in a weird vacuum for the rest of the show until they sort-of popped for FTR.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope the guy in the front row incessantly watching for hard cam time in order to hold up Busted Open Radio signs and fatheads has some sort of financial stake in that show and also got free tickets.  Because paying front row money and missing half the show to clout chase and ball-lick some shitty, boomer-ass hot takez pod is incredibly sad.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I sincerely hope the guy in the front row incessantly watching for hard cam time in order to hold up Busted Open Radio signs and fatheads has some sort of financial stake in that show and also got free tickets.  Because paying front row money and missing half the show to clout chase and ball-lick some shitty, boomer-ass hot takez pod is incredibly sad.

He's been at multiple shows, and on All Access when they showed a flashback to Grand Slam he was in that same fucking spot with the same type of signs. That might have been when I said that Tony needed to come out with security, hand they guy his money back, and walk him to the cheap seats.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

He's been at multiple shows, and on All Access when they showed a flashback to Grand Slam he was in that same fucking spot with the same type of signs. That might have been when I said that Tony needed to come out with security, hand they guy his money back, and walk him to the cheap seats.

YES.  I thought that guy and his fatheads looked familiar.  So yeah, I hope he's making money off this because 1) hold up sign, 2) look at phone to see if people on your chosen social media platform are reacting, 3) show your phone to the guy next to you, 4) repeat from step 1 is no kind of life.

I saw something online yesterday that said "social media is just video games for narcissists" and that's amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

YES.  I thought that guy and his fatheads looked familiar.  So yeah, I hope he's making money off this because 1) hold up sign, 2) look at phone to see if people on your chosen social media platform are reacting, 3) show your phone to the guy next to you, 4) repeat from step 1 is no kind of life.

I saw something online yesterday that said "social media is just video games for narcissists" and that's amazing.

That chap strikes me as someone who definitely pays for Twitter Blue.

Switchblade's been working on that main event body! Where does this leave Juice because he seems very much the third wheel in this rivalry now.

Spooky HOB don't really do it for me. Violent metal-head HOB on the other hand! I was practically headbanging along to the PiP beating they were putting on the Best Friends.

Count me amongst those skipping MJF segments, awful stuff (but I will admit to enjoying him asking the crowd to stop heckling the politician).

AMATEUR! Yeah, that's gonna be popping randomly into my head for the next week.

The Gunn's swank-as-fuck entrance had me thinking they were going over, and they had me multiple times during the match. Good stuff. Those Ass Boys are slowly maturing into Ass Men.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Not on Rampage, but tomorrow on Honor Club!  

They taped ROH tonight, Rampage & Battle of the Belts is Live on Friday (with more ROH taped before them)

My excitement got the better of me lol

• Haha 1

• I am pro Ricky fighting back because otherwise he looks like an idiot and you want your babyface to look brave and defiant and not like an idiot (Hangman managed to look like both). I think if the show wasn't so packed, they could have done a few minutes of a match and then had White come out and this would have worked better, but it definitely gave the show an exciting Crash TV feel to just lead with the entrance. There should have maybe been something more dramatic with the music or a graphic or something. I liked the ideal, ultimately but maybe not the execution.
  • Bring on Lee vs Jericho. What an interesting, odd match up.
  • Really liked HOB vs Best Friends. You had chaos early with a lot of spots and a lot of action and some really good match-ups. Then things settled down during the commercial break like you'd want after the two dive attempts that were blocked. That was just a really smart, fun transition to beatdown. The comeback had things punctuated with the dive actually working when assisted. Then you had the story of the pile drivers. That was the big spot they built to, not something crazy (and good! You can't outcrazy Sammy vs Kommander and you already used the flip dive to set up the babyface comeback) but instead a simple piledriver made impressive because they built it to be almost impossible to do to Brody King. Really good stuff. Exactly what I want these trios matches to be instead of what we usually get.
  • Very glad Christian is still around! I got a bit worried but he has so much to offer as a credible heel that can lose without losing his heat.
  • Hayter vs Riho was obviously good. I was ok with the superplex into a brainbuster attempt 1.) because Hatyer was pretty fresh at that point and 2.) because it didn't work. Riho just countered by going dead weight into a DDT. I really liked Hayter going for the finisher early to get over how dangerous Riho was. And then how it took one, stilted to knock her down and a second, full on, to knock her out at the end. Ruby is by far the anchor of the Outcasts. She's added so much to their act.
  • Why have Caster rap if it's not going to be about Vince's mustache?
  • I was high on the MJF thing except for the fact that the sax player stunk and it destroyed the moment at the end since why was he ok with that but not the cymbal crash? Completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief. How hard is it to get a good sax player? Come on. But yeah, MJF in Long Island is fun once a year.  Maybe not more.
  • Sammy vs Kommander had all the spots, but it was obvious that Sammy couldn't transfer his heat through the commercial break where things slowed down and he was in control. It was a little sad to watch actually.
  • Hook vs Page was fine for what it was and I loved the extra hurty looking Hook twist of fate, but I'm so sad to see Page and Hardy broken up even though I knew it was coming.
  • BCC stuff was ok but Danielson shouting AMATEURS over and over again didn't quite work for me. Yuta's reaction to him calling him a little shithead did work though.
  • First half of the main was kind of just there, even all the way to the hot tag, but that was, I think, by design. Dax knew that while the fans wanted to see FTR get their hands on the Gunns, the drama was going to be in the finishing stretch and false finishes. He talks a lot about building to the real finish and making sure that's more important than the false finishes but this is one where that might be an exception. Probably the biggest dramatic moment was Cash rushing in to stop the DQ call by the ref after the low blow and then immediately getting hit by the 3:10 to Yuma. There was a real "Austin getting screwed by Mr. McMahon by having the deck stacked against him" feel at that point because the Gunns knew they could cheat. I am getting a little worried that Dax's voice is coming through a little too much here due to the podcast. It's fascinating to constantly think "I wonder what Dax is thinking" when watching these matches but it also really takes you out of the match. He's not showing you the strings within the match itself like Omega does, but the podcast gives you extra means to find them yourself. I know that's not going to affect 2/3rds of the crowd though.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

BCC promo would've benefited from a segment or the announcers mentioning that Kenny/Dark Order weren't in the building. Hangman's look of panic Danielson showed him the screwdriver was pretty chilling. Also would've helped if they made it clear if Danielson went for the eye or just the forehead.

Jay White debut was good. I suspect he'll get a singles push at some point while Juice or someone lower in the BC take most of the falls when it's time to lose. Worst part of QT and Hobbs is that it's robbing us of Hobbs and Ricky as a face team.

Hayter/Riho was really good. Played the power/speed dynamic without losing the face/face feel.

Trios title was fun as well. Really like all the HOB members work at a cohesive pace while differentiating their individual styles. They can always be counted on for a good match.

Didn't care for the MJF promo. JB didn't lean into being the one-night heel which made the ending flat. Gotta just crack him with the cymbal. Sammy's promo made him look like he didn't belong. Totally heatless with a crowd that was going nuts for MJF's bad singing minutes earlier.

Main event was solid even if the Gunns aren't quite able to get to FTR's level for a big match. They did a good job with a couple false finishes and the Gunns desperately going for DQs was in character. FTR could've used a stronger finish, but still good see to the faces overcome the odds and win when they need to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

BCC promo would've benefited from a segment or the announcers mentioning that Kenny/Dark Order weren't in the building. Hangman's look of panic Danielson showed him the screwdriver was pretty chilling. Also would've helped if they made it clear if Danielson went for the eye or just the forehead.

Here's the thing: Dark Order wrestled on the Elevation taping.  So the entire live crowd saw Dark Order wrestle, then saw Hangman get punked the fuck out while Danielson yelled about no one loving him and the Dark Order not doing shit.  

Tighten your shit up, Tony.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Matt D said:
  • I am pro Ricky fighting back because otherwise he looks like an idiot and you want your babyface to look brave and defiant and not like an idiot (Hangman managed to look like both). I think if the show wasn't so packed, they could have done a few minutes of a match and then had White come out and this would have worked better, but it definitely gave the show an exciting Crash TV feel to just lead with the entrance. There should have maybe been something more dramatic with the music or a graphic or something. I liked the ideal, ultimately but maybe not the execution.
  • Bring on Lee vs Jericho. What an interesting, odd match up.
  • Really liked HOB vs Best Friends. You had chaos early with a lot of spots and a lot of action and some really good match-ups. Then things settled down during the commercial break like you'd want after the two dive attempts that were blocked. That was just a really smart, fun transition to beatdown. The comeback had things punctuated with the dive actually working when assisted. Then you had the story of the pile drivers. That was the big spot they built to, not something crazy (and good! You can't outcrazy Sammy vs Kommander and you already used the flip dive to set up the babyface comeback) but instead a simple piledriver made impressive because they built it to be almost impossible to do to Brody King. Really good stuff. Exactly what I want these trios matches to be instead of what we usually get.
  • Very glad Christian is still around! I got a bit worried but he has so much to offer as a credible heel that can lose without losing his heat.
  • Hayter vs Riho was obviously good. I was ok with the superplex into a brainbuster attempt 1.) because Hatyer was pretty fresh at that point and 2.) because it didn't work. Riho just countered by going dead weight into a DDT. I really liked Hayter going for the finisher early to get over how dangerous Riho was. And then how it took one, stilted to knock her down and a second, full on, to knock her out at the end. Ruby is by far the anchor of the Outcasts. She's added so much to their act.
  • Why have Caster rap if it's not going to be about Vince's mustache?
  • I was high on the MJF thing except for the fact that the sax player stunk and it destroyed the moment at the end since why was he ok with that but not the cymbal crash? Completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief. How hard is it to get a good sax player? Come on. But yeah, MJF in Long Island is fun once a year.  Maybe not more.
  • Sammy vs Kommander had all the spots, but it was obvious that Sammy couldn't transfer his heat through the commercial break where things slowed down and he was in control. It was a little sad to watch actually.
  • Hook vs Page was fine for what it was and I loved the extra hurty looking Hook twist of fate, but I'm so sad to see Page and Hardy broken up even though I knew it was coming.
  • BCC stuff was ok but Danielson shouting AMATEURS over and over again didn't quite work for me. Yuta's reaction to him calling him a little shithead did work though.
  • First half of the main was kind of just there, even all the way to the hot tag, but that was, I think, by design. Dax knew that while the fans wanted to see FTR get their hands on the Gunns, the drama was going to be in the finishing stretch and false finishes. He talks a lot about building to the real finish and making sure that's more important than the false finishes but this is one where that might be an exception. Probably the biggest dramatic moment was Cash rushing in to stop the DQ call by the ref after the low blow and then immediately getting hit by the 3:10 to Yuma. There was a real "Austin getting screwed by Mr. McMahon by having the deck stacked against him" feel at that point because the Gunns knew they could cheat. I am getting a little worried that Dax's voice is coming through a little too much here due to the podcast. It's fascinating to constantly think "I wonder what Dax is thinking" when watching these matches but it also really takes you out of the match. He's not showing you the strings within the match itself like Omega does, but the podcast gives you extra means to find them yourself. I know that's not going to affect 2/3rds of the crowd though.

The randomly yelling Amateurs over and over is the biggest thing I dislike about Bryan’s promos when he’s a heel. He’ll latch onto one word, and not stop. Like his great run as the “Planets Champion” in WWE where he used the word Fickle more than anyone ever should. 

We both agree on the main event too. Just from reading so many quotes from Dax it’s hard to not find myself wondering what he’s thinking. 

• Like 2

Wembley was a wow moment; and is a huge statement from the Kahns on AEW. Not sure what they will do to fill that place but it has a chance to be a huge show. 

The Gunns last night were interesting. Great heels trying to get DQed on purpose with FTR refusing to lose that way. BUT FTR had to carry the Gunns in the match; the match was clunky at times as the timing was off. Really glad FTR are the champs.

BCC vs Elite with Hangman Anarchy in the Arena - can it wait till August? 

3 Way - Sammy, Jungle Boy, MJF for the title? Could be really fun. Man, Sammy is hungry in the best way

• Like 2

I imagine there will be more big names either ready to leave WWE or released by the company and becoming available by the time of the  Wimbley Show

If Bayley leaves WWE , I believe it would increase the likelihood of Sasha coming in to AEW. She'll more people she really enjoy working including getting to work Saraya.

TK getting to book Goldberg and Sting either as a team or across from each other would be a good draw for Wimbley 

23 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If they give comps to Fulham FC season ticket holders, I think that's like 20,000 right there

I work with a Fulham fan. Awful prick. No interest in wrestling.

I can exclusively reveal, however, that at least two tickets for All In are as good as sold.

I thoroughly enjoyed that show, even down to the MJF segment. I'm usually leaning towards being sick of him, but there's something charming about how he embraces the Long Island bizarro world reaction and is a face there. WWE would never allow that.

Also, Jay White turning up made me so happy. I'm lukewarm on him overall, but I was excited to see where he'd land, and watched that epochally awful Raw the other night because of a faint hope that they'd debut him (or an NXT callup, or anyone, or do anything at all to quicken the pulse more than Omos vs Elias for Chrissakes). AEW just throw a Jay White in your lap in the first two minutes, set up Jericho vs Keith Lee straight after that and roll immediately into House Of motherfucking Black before you can even collect your thoughts. I love this company so much. Not even a top tier show bell to bell, but so much incident, so many reasons to look forward to the next show. You always know you're watching the output of someone who loves, rather than hates, pro wrestling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

One thing I really love AEW is almost every Dynamite starts with some sort of in-ring action. Raw having what seems a twenty minute long promo to setup the night is just old. 

HHH was moving away from that because I usually revel in the fact that I can fast forward through the first half hour of RAW but lately I was like, "Oh shit!  An actual match to start!"  I assume those days are over.