DVDVR Message Board

POLL 3/11-3/17/2022- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? I dunno.

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Mance Warner vs Ricky Shane Page- MLW
    • Speedball Mike Bailey/ Jonathan Gresham vs Crazzy Steve/ Black Taurus- IMPACT!
    • Claudio Castagnoli vs Willie Mack- ROH
    • KiLynn King/ Taylor Wilde vs Rosemary/ Taya Valkyrie- IMPACT!
    • Chris Bey/ Ace Austin/ KENTA vs Rich Swann/ Frankie Kazarian/ Josh Alexander- IMPACT!
    • Taichi vs SANADA- New Japan World
    • El Phantasmo vs Tetsuya Naito- New Japan World
    • Reyna Isis/ Stephanie Vaquer/ Zeuxis vs Las Chicas Indomables (La Jarochita/ Lluvia)/ Princesa Sugehit- CMLL
    • Brillante Jr/ Gran Jefe/ Hijo De Stuka Jr/ Insolito/ Misterio Blanco/ Misterio Negro vs Futuro/ Max Star/ Neon/ Principe/ Tonalli/ Vegas- CMLL
    • Brian Cage vs Jack Cartwheel- AEW Elevation
    • Pretty Peter Avalon/ Ryan Nemeth vs Rey Fenix/ Penta El Zero Miedo- AEW Elevation
    • Fury vs Jessie Jones- WOW
    • Dexter Lumis/ Johnny Gargano vs Dominik Mysterio/ Damien Priest- RAW
    • Cody Rhodes vs LA Knight- RAW
    • Austin Theory vs Angelo Dawkins- RAW
    • Chelsea Green vs Bianca Belair- RAW
    • Solo Sikoa vs Kevin Owens- RAW
    • Ashley D'Ambroise vs Kenzie Paige- NWA PowerrR
    • Riho vs Diamante- AEW DARK
    • Big Shotty Lee Johnson vs Action Andretti- AEW DARK
    • Athena vs Hyan- ROH
    • Pretty Deadly vs Gallus- NXT
    • Zoey Stark vs Sol Ruca- NXT
    • Ivy Nile/ Tatum Paxley vs Isla Dawn/ Alba Fyre vs Kayden Carter/ Katana Chance- NXT
    • Dabbo-Kato vs Apollo Crews- NXT
    • Daniel Garcia vs Brodie King- RAMPAGE
    • Yukari Hosokawa/ Michiko Miyagi vs Manami/ Mika Iwata- GLEAT
    • Tetsuya Izuchi/ Jun Tonsho vs T-HAWK/ Soma Watanabe- GLEAT
    • Billie Starkz vs Max the Impaler- WWA
    • Orange Cassidy vs Jeff Jarrett- DYNAMITE
    • Malakai Black/ Buddy Matthews/ Brodie King vs Matt Jackson/ Nick Jackson/ Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho/ Daniel Garcia/ Sammy Guevara- DYNAMITE
    • Claudio Castagnoli/ Jon Moxley/ Yuta Wheeler vs Evil Uno/ Stu Grayson/ Hangman Adam Page- DYNAMITE
    • Blake Christian/ Metalik vs Ari Daivari/ Slim J- ROH
    • Powerhouse Hobbs vs Rey Fenix- RAMPAGE
    • Dante Martin vs Mike Bennett- ROH
    • Clark Connors vs Wheeler Yuta- ROH
    • Shota Umino/ Yuto Nakashima vs Kosei Fujita/ Zack Sabre Jr- New Japan World
    • David Finlay/ El Phantasmo vs Kosei Fujita/ Zack Sabre Jr- New Japan World
    • Pimpinela Escarlata vs Jessy Ventura- IWRG
    • Sheamus vs Drew McIntyre- SMACKDOWN

Man, that was once again a LOT of quality wrestling to watch.  With ROH dominating my attention, I can't even remember what I watched every other day.  I know that the best WWE match was motherfucking Pretty Deadly vs Gallus.  The best AEW match was Jeff Jarrett vs Orange Cassidy- as Orange Cassidy is on the biggest run in current wrestling.  Or maybe the BCC vs Dark Order/ Hangman match.  IMPACT! had Speedball and Gresham tagged together against Black Taurus and Crazzy Steve and also had Bullet Club with KENTA.  And KiLynn King made her in-ring debut.  The best Japanese match was prolly Taichi/SANADA from AXS or Tetsuya Izuchi/ Jun Tonsho vs T-HAWK/ Soma Watanabe from GLEAT.  The Lucha Libre match of the week was the Cibernetico match with a bunch of dudes I hadn't seen before.  I can't believe I had to cut the Mexican Biker Hogs versus four exoticos match.  The Pimpirnella/Ventura match is our sleeper.  I don't know what I'm voting for.  Your Fringe Match was Billie Starkz/Max the Impaler match from Women's Wrestling Army.   

CUT LIST:  Coronel Vip vs Hijo de Canis Lupus- IWRG;  Diva Salvaje/ Estrella Divina/ Larry Miranda/ Mamba vs Pig Decapitador/ Pig Destroyer/ Pig Destructor/ Pig Pool- IWRG;  Oskar Leube/ Ren Narita vs Chase Owens/ KENTA- New Japan World;  Turbo Floyd/ Truth Magnum vs John Silver/ Alex Reynolds- AEW DARK; Steve Maclin vs Heath- IMPACT!;   Shota Umino/ Tama Tonga vs Kosei Fujita/ Zack Sabre Jr- New Japan World;  Aaron Henare vs Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World;  Liv Morgan/ Raquel Rodriguez vs Emma/ Tegan Nox- SMACKDOWN; Rhea Ripley/ Dominik Mysterio vs Zelina Vega/ Santos Escobar- SMACKDOWN; Hirooki Goto/ YOSHI-HASHI/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Jeff Cobb/ Kyle Fletcher/ Mark Davis- New Japan World;  Kiana James vs Gigi Dolin- NXT;  

• Like 2

Raw and NXT had some perfectly solid wrestling, but Gallus/Pretty Deadly was easily the standout.

Dug OC/Jarrett. Was nice to see something different from OC other defenses though I don't think this was quite the same level as what Jarrett achieved with Lehtal and the Acclaimed. The trios titles match was fine, probably good even but missing something for me. BCC vs. Dark Order was good and the highlight of Dynamite for me. Grayson, Hangman, and Uno are all good as fired up faces and BCC are great when embracing their heel side. Yuta is a cheating dick and I dug how calculating and perfect he was with choosing his moments to strike. 

Smackdown underwhelmed for the first time in a while with most of the matches being too short and a really good match in Sheamus/Drew getting a fuck finish.  

Hobbs/Fenix was a good big dude vs. small dude match with them leaning more of the fighting spirit way than simple style difference.

The exoticos singles from IWGR was more fun than I expected with Pimpinela still bringing a decent amount to the tables in their 50s. 

The 6-women tag from CMLL was fun but nothing standout. The CIbernetico with a bunch of guys I did not know was really fucking good even with occasional flubs. 

Naito/ELP was good fun. The two feed into each other's personalities well, and it was nice seeing the crowd get so much behind both. SANADA/Tachi was another good match. Dug Taichi forcing Sanada to wake up and step up as the match went on. They really got the crowd behind Sanada with how they built things up.

Still need to check out the ZSJ matches and some of the ROH, but if I'm being honest I'm almost certainly voting for the Cibernetico match. It even annoys me some as I was totally prepped and happy to vote for Sanada/Taichi again until I saw the Cibernetico. 

• Thanks 1

OC/JJ was a Weirdo Wrestling Dream Match come true. That was one of the best AEW matches, period. It was just a perfect amalgamation of all things I love about pro wrestling -- goofball characters, struts, taunts, crowd brawling and most importantly OC's masterful job selling. I audibly gasped at a few JJ near falls, cheered when Aubrey did her mad-as-hell march to the ring and celebrated the ending. I want these guys in an Ironman Match that would have a final score of something like 24-23 and every single second of it would rule. OC is on the heater of a lifetime and is week-to-week the best wrestler on American TV. Jeff Jarrett is putting on a masterclass of how less-is-more. I hope every single person in AEW is asking Jeff Jarrett for advice. 

• Like 4

I really liked OC/ JJ, but I just can not stand Aubrey. I know she's supposedly a really nice person. I know that if you're going to do a match or angle like this, having a referee who's " part of the story" is fine. But I just hate it when refs are "stars". Aubrey is in the same category as David Manning and Dick Wohrle.  If you want to see how a ref can be a "character" and not be distracting from the action take a look at Tommy Young. 
That match was awesome. It was everything I love. If the ref wasn't someone who already has a well deserved reputation as a referee who has to stand out as a character, it would have been perfect.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

• DEAN unpinned this topic