DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

On 3/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, Pete said:

Former LSU coach Will Wade has been tapped by McNeese State to be their next HC.

What?

The deal includes a 5 game suspension and forbids him from recruiting off camps until August (and some additional recruiting restrictions). Not that it makes any less sketchy 

wonder if some Wikipedia editor will fill out the Iona section of Pitino's entry after Pitino officially goes to St. John's.

The entry right now:

Iona (2020–present)[edit]

On March 14, 2020, Pitino was named head coach of Iona College after Tim Cluess stepped down from the position due to health issues on March 13.[55][56][57] Despite the hiring, Pitino was scheduled to finish his commitments to Panathinaikos,[58] however on March 20, Panathinaikos announced mutual agreement to terminate the contract.[59]

That's it. Nothing about anything after March 20th, 2020.

In the article - the reason the University is using "for cause"

According to the termination letter obtained by ESPN, Anderson was fired for "failure to create and support an environment that strongly encourages student-athletes who are in the men's basketball program to meet all university academic requirements," "failure to perform your duties and responsibilities in a manner that reflected positively on St. John's University ... in actions [that] brought serious discredit" to the school and "failure to appropriately supervise and communicate with your assistant coaches."

There is a reason my parents never gave a cent to that University after graduating

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In the article - the reason the University is using "for cause"

There is a reason my parents never gave a cent to that University after graduating

Wow. Who can straight-faced write that in a letter and turn around and hire Rick Pitino? Ask any one at U of Louisville if he ever brought any "serious discredit" to the school.

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Fucking over Mike Anderson, who is supposed to be one of the nicest guys in college ball, to hire a famous scumbag is a little on-the-nose with the villainy.

Maybe that's what brought "serious discredit", he didn't have a mustache to twirl or fair maidens available to tie to railroad tracks like they evidently prefer.

• Haha 1

Anderson has coached for 21 seasons without a losing record or a major scandal that I can recall.  In a just world he would be one of those dudes that spends his entire career at one mid-major and they, like, rename the town for him when he retires.

• Like 1

meanwhile..

The 2022-23 Northeast Conference: the Tourney rep beat a 1 seed, the conference tourney winner wasn't eligible, there's another top team that isn't tourney eligible for a few more years, Central Connecticut State is the only public school, the 2022 tourney winner immediately left for the American East, One St. Francis is hours away from any other member school, the other St. Francis just ended their athletics programs because maybe the school is going bankrupt..

Assuming St Francis Brooklyn is the same as St Francis (NY) - they were one of the original D1 teams to never make the men's basketball tournament

They might not be since there are like 58250113 things called St Francis in the Northest

yeah, I think they clarified the name from St. Francis NY to St. Francis Brooklyn a few years ago

between the MAAC and the NEC, there could be a very NYC-area private school conference if the schools wanted to do it

FDU, Iona, LIU, Manhattan, Saint Peter's, Wagner

With SFB gone, they'd need 2 of Fairfield, Marist, NJIT (which is public), Quinnipiac, and Sacred Heart to reach 8 schools.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, I think they clarified the name from St. Francis NY to St. Francis Brooklyn a few years ago

between the MAAC and the NEC, there could be a very NYC-area private school conference if the schools wanted to do it

FDU, Iona, LIU, Manhattan, Saint Peter's, Wagner

With SFB gone, they'd need 2 of Fairfield, Marist, NJIT (which is public), Quinnipiac, and Sacred Heart to reach 8 schools.

They could make a play for Mercy College (Dobbs Ferry) to step up from D-II if they get desperate enough.

This is deceptively sad. SFNY had one of the earliest basketball programs in NYC... that alone should be reason enough to keep it alive. I wonder if someone pledges enough money to keep it going for another year or two.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

They could make a play for Mercy College (Dobbs Ferry) to step up from D-II if they get desperate enough.

This is deceptively sad. SFNY had one of the earliest basketball programs in NYC... that alone should be reason enough to keep it alive. I wonder if someone pledges enough money to keep it going for another year or two.

From what I read, it was apparently the first men's basketball program in New York.

In news that I care about - current George Mason HC Kim English is reportedly the front runner for the Providence job

(Now to be fair - there are some around here who think this is just English's agent trying to get an extension of Mason)

Of course Mason technically doesn't have an AD right now either so that is fun

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Pitino hiring is official. He will be introduced tomorrow

If my Dad was still alive, today would have probably killed him

I’m fine with Pirino getting one last shot at “big-time” basketball because it’s interesting, but, man, I wish he was going to a state U.  It bugs me when Catholic universities sell out their principles.  Although, everyone has a price.  My general theory of life is that most of us are a bit sleazy and the more you do the moral superiority thing, the more you have to hide.  I consider myself more principled that the norm - it’s a low bar - but I’d probably stifle my moral indignation if I was in the school’s shoes.  Honestly, I’d probably find this more palatable if it was a 40-year-old Pitino.  I don’t really feel any seventy-year old should be running a major program and selling your soul is a young person’s game.

Now I’m imagining a young Pitino in the NIL era.  Dude was 40 years ahead of his time.   Many of his scandals would be less scandalous now thwt it’s legal to pay players.  Granted, reducing the number of Pitino scandals by half still leaves you with too many scandals, but….

I’m guessing Anderson will eventually get his money.  Seems very obvious that he was fired for not winning games and to clear the way fro a bigger name.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Twitter RUMBLINGS are that FDU's Tobin Anderson is cashing in and will be the Iona HC.

Not bad for him. Finished second in one of the tiny conferences, lost in the finals of his conference tournament, pulled one (admittedly huge) upset, then got beat by a mid-major, about to cash in and move up the ranks a little bit.

I have no idea if he'll be successful at Iona, but at least it lets them make a bit of a splash replacing Pitino.

Wofford removed the interim tag from Dwight Perry

Wichita State is expected to hire Oral Roberts' Paul Mills

Arizona State has given Bobby Hurley a two year extension (now runs through the 2025-2026 season)

Boston College has given Earl Grant his own two year extension (now runs through 2028-2029)