DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

I’d personally love it if AEW Saturday Night was exclusive to the women + with highlights of Rampage/Dynamite/anything important on Dark and social media. It’d be AEW doing something that WWE hasn’t done (besides that one all female PPV that they’ve refused to revisit since).

I mean, I won’t get to watch it anyway since I work weekend night shift, but for me at least, I’d actually watch the DVR recording of it versus me deleting Rampage on Monday morning because ehhhhhh.

• Like 3

While this is no skin off your collective asses I'm sure, the DAZN deal really fucked up my wrestling experience. There's no point in taking part in the show discussion threads since I won't actually see the shows until the threads have been closed for more than 3 weeks already, since I barely get my comments in before they are closed without the 30-day delay.

And yeah, I will not entertain the thought of going to any "totally legitimate" websites in order to watch, because the source may be Russian (or Chinese). (Come to think of it, fuck, for all I know FITE may be Russian-owned, I haven't taken the time to find out but the dude who answers the emails has an Eastern European sounding name, at least, but that's beside the point, he could be from wherever.) I probably won't renew the AEW+ subscription next year, whatever the case may be. I'm already locked for this year, anyway.

I guess I could start a thread to talk about old episodes of Dynamite and Rampage (and PPV's), but starting threads is not something I do.

So, I guess I'm going to have to start paying for the DAZN subscription if I want to get some of the enjoyment back, but even that won't happen until I see how things go once the month old episodes start rolling on FITE? These first couple of weeks sure have sucked, but the Revolution PPV of course took some of the sting out.

Well, it sure was fun while it lasted, though. I mean, fun for me, anyway.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

While this is no skin off your collective asses I'm sure, the DAZN deal really fucked up my wrestling experience. There's no point in taking part in the show discussion threads since I won't actually see the shows until the threads have been closed for more than 3 weeks already, since I barely get my comments in before they are closed without the 30-day delay.

And yeah, I will not entertain the thought of going to any "totally legitimate" websites in order to watch, because the source may be Russian (or Chinese). (Come to think of it, fuck, for all I know FITE may be Russian-owned, I haven't taken the time to find out but the dude who answers the emails has an Eastern European sounding name, at least, but that's beside the point, he could be from wherever.) I probably won't renew the AEW+ subscription next year, whatever the case may be. I'm already locked for this year, anyway.

I guess I could start a thread to talk about old episodes of Dynamite and Rampage (and PPV's), but starting threads is not something I do.

So, I guess I'm going to have to start paying for the DAZN subscription if I want to get some of the enjoyment back, but even that won't happen until I see how things go once the month old episodes start rolling on FITE? These first couple of weeks sure have sucked, but the Revolution PPV of course took some of the sting out.

Well, it sure was fun while it lasted, though. I mean, fun for me, anyway.

Why don’t you just continue to pay for AEW+ and use a VPN and connect to the UK? That’s what I do for PPVs. It’s an open secret that a lot of Americans already do it, don’t see why someone from your neck of the woods can’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Why don’t you just continue to pay for AEW+ and use a VPN and connect to the UK? That’s what I do for PPVs. It’s an open secret that a lot of Americans already do it, don’t see why someone from your neck of the woods can’t.

Yeah, that would mean actually getting the VPN and all that, but thanks for the tip, I may have to see what that's about, somewhere in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, that would mean actually getting the VPN and all that, but thanks for the tip, I may have to see what that's about, somewhere in the future.

It took me 5 seconds to add a free VPN extension to the Chrome browser. It’s not that big of a deal.

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Most VPNs are pretty easy to setup though it might be worth looking up one that will reliably get the job done.  I've used NordVPN which didn't work as well for MLB TV but Surfshark's been aces so far.

As for another show I'm down.  There's a lot of green folks who could stand to get more matches and exposure.  If they're not doing indies (which I believe is still kosher to a degree) and house shows are super rare then might as well feature them more in house.  Plus it's pretty easy to catch up on everything for me though I understand people have time constraints or their AEW appetite is pushing the limit.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

What if the new show is QTV a Tuesday night titans talk/variety  with some skits hosted by QT? I m sure we would all love that

I mean, it's 100% a better use of QT than being involved in the finish of a main event title match on Dynamite between two not so distant future top heavyweights, so I have to reluctantly vote in favor of it

• Like 4

If you've got a 6PM Saturday slot then you're booking for a younger demo. I say lean way into it. AEW PG is fine an hour out of the week.

You've got too many short flippy babyfaces. Perfect. Let Action Andretti flourish. Book him against really talented heels who lean goofy, you don't want to see him vs. JD Drake in a Best of Five series sponsored by GOGURT? Fuck Frick you.

Pop a dumb rating somehow. Have House of Black work their same gimmick and see if they aren't the exact thing that 11 year olds would think are the coolest or evilest thing in the world. Pre-tape them losing their Trios Titles to Best Friends, make sure the spoilers leak deeply and get a dual Foley-During-The-Fingerpoke ratings bump from the diehards who want them to win some titles + have every kid who would have been a Velocity mark 20 years ago lose their shit. Yes this is Double IPA Fantasy Booking Nonsense but I gotta put it out into the universe one way or another.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Agreed bigly @John E. Dynamite - I think it's really important this fourth hour of TV has a distinct identity to set it apart from both the main TBS/TNT shows, and from Dark/Elevation/ROH.

The ROH/Dark studio just got a pretty slick makeover at Universal so I think the smart money is on a WCWSN studio-type affair. Impact obviously had mixed results with it over the years, but I think NXT's incredible 2014-2019 run and NWA's super fun pre-COVID output shows that it can still be done today.

What I definitely do not want is for it to be a WWE content-mill situation where its just the same as any random episode Rampage but the lights/graphics are pink instead of orange or something. 

Regarding VPNs, I will say that as easy as it is to use, don't go with NordVPN. The main issue is that if you want to use Fite for PPVs on a TV then you need to have NordVPN as your VPN on your router or TV and it won't work for that. So yeah, if you want to use Fite on your TV, make sure you have a VPN that is easy to turn on or off on your router.

• Like 1

Oh, and regarding Schiavone, some of the worst AEW storylines recently were ones Schiavone was responsible for. His brain is way too tied into hokey early 90s WCW and sports entertainmenty motivations for wrestlers.

EDIT: Look, if you want good bookers, I think you need people who haven't been in the system like Dutt, Jarrett, and others. I think you need to go outside the box. So just before people start making jokes about hiring BEN so we can get dumb as fuck Bunkhouse storylines or whatever the fuck, there's a wealth of wrestling knowledge and history right here. Fuck, TK knows Phil (Schneider), talk to him about booking. I haven't had much of a problem with the stuff TK books, but ROH and now another hour of AEW is going to be too much for the guy and Jericho shouldn't be the answer to pick up more of the book because he just books the same shit over and over again. Go outside the box and outside the system. For us fans of the movie Moneyball, find a Peter Brand or a few Peter Brands out there and give them a chance and find a way to speed up storylines just a little bit. Just a tad. Storylines don't need to be lightspeed or comic book length, but they also don't need to be these 600-700 page stories that they are now.

tl;dr I'd trust Phil Schneider or a handful of others from here to book a better TV show or storylines than I would also rans from TNA and WWE that have all consistently failed.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

I just want storylines that start...actually go somewhere.  Remember that one where Senior Official Paul Turner was going to clamp down on interference and bad calls?  How about Jericho announcing that he and Hager (back in the Inner Circle days) were going for the tag belts, only for them to team once and then never mention it again?  We could have a thread about stuff AEW started and then forgot about.

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I just want storylines that start...actually go somewhere.  Remember that one where Senior Official Paul Turner was going to clamp down on interference and bad calls?  How about Jericho announcing that he and Hager (back in the Inner Circle days) were going for the tag belts, only for them to team once and then never mention it again?  We could have a thread about stuff AEW started and then forgot about.

Yeah, all of the start/stop storylines have become more pervasive over time. This wasn't as much of an issue during year one, but it's happened more and more. I mean, 3 or 4 weeks ago you had Hangman telling Renee that there were some old friends he needed to apologize to and that went nowhere. Action Andretti went over Jericho only to be stuck in the Jericho Booking Vortex of taking on every member of the JAS and losing to interference each time out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Jade/Nyla feud for starters.

That’s one feud and it ended how long ago? I thought you were saying recent garbage was booked by him. The bigger issue is Jerichos terrible booking ideas, and whoever greenlit both QTV and the ending to Dynamite last week. QT is and always will be a waste of air time unless he’s doing a two-three minute job for actual talent. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

tl;dr I'd trust Phil Schneider or a handful of others from here to book a better TV show or storylines than I would also rans from TNA and WWE that have all consistently failed.

If I am “handful” then I accept the position. 

• Like 3