DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

On 3/12/2023 at 1:24 AM, twiztor said:

@the Natural

https://imgur.com/a/DlU5lFx

edit: 

fuck this board. can't tag users. can't embed images. can't navigate forward/backward pages. this is beyond ridiculous.  @DEAN  @Rippa
seriously. it's been fucking months. fix this board. i'm a member of multiple other message boards online and nobody else seems to have any of these issues.  what the fuck.

I typically have luck tagging people if I edit after posting.  Hit the "@" sign during your initial post?  It just spins and spins.  Edit the post and hit that "@" and it works lickety split.

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The whole lead up to WrestleMania VIII has always fascinated me.  I was always at a loss as to why they didn't want to run Hogan vs. Flair.   I've done a lot of digging and it always comes back to either 

A) The house show run didn't do impressive business (especially out west) and Vince got cold feet on it 

B) Hogan was going to be leaving after WMVIII to do some Hollywood stuff and also because he looked like a fool on live TV answering steroid questions. With Hogan leaving, of course they couldn't have him lose the match to Flair and end the show with a heel going over.  

But I've seen the Hogan vs. Flair match in late '91 at MSG and it was a super hot crowd and actually a pretty good match, an interesting clash of styles there. I still don't understand exactly why they didn't go for it. They even announced Hogan as the #1 contender to Flair at the WM press conference.  That's an interesting watch also. 

Sid was definitely supposed to be the new "it" guy for them though.  I don't know.  I am fine with how it played out, Flair vs. Macho was great. 

I remember the late night wrestling radio show I listened to back in the day (they had Chris Cruise on the show weekly back when he was a legit newsletter guy and not just an over the hill concern troll) mentioned that getting the Mania main event was one of Sid's conditions for signing with the WWF then.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If Bray walked (again), here’s to hoping Lashley squashes Uncle Howdy like a bug tonight to end that nonsense and then they throw him a reward bone at Mania that is as far away from that stupid shit as possible. 

I hope they’d do the smart thing and replace Omos with Lashley if that’s the case since the last Lashley/Lesnar match had that BS finish. Or just have him squash Theory and defend the US title against Cena. Thats fine too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I hope they’d do the smart thing and replace Omos with Lashley if that’s the case since the last Lashley/Lesnar match had that BS finish. Or just have him squash Theory and defend the US title against Cena. Thats fine too.

Theory's on the fast track upwards.  That Cena match is set in stone. 

Having Lashley/Lesnar as a final blowoff would rule.  But frankly, I think you can give that spot to someone like LA Knight, especially since it looks like the first HunterMania is going to be filled with showing off the next generation of WWE's guys. 

I kind of wanted that Gunther vs. Lesnar match, but I somewhat wonder if Gunther is dodging a bullet there knowing Lesnar's recent output. Plus, Lesnar is in his mid-40s now.

Gunther against McIntyre or McIntyre and Sheamus is probably going to be a better matchup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

If Bray walked (again), here’s to hoping Lashley squashes Uncle Howdy like a bug tonight to end that nonsense and then they throw him a reward bone at Mania that is as far away from that stupid shit as possible. 

Or, they could just never mention Bray and his puppets and Uncle Howdy ever again.  I know which outcome I’m hoping for.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Huh, I remember Stan Lane being shockingly good on commentary from a match I saw posted on here once. 

I do too. However, after his first two or three weeks, they asked him to do too much because there was no more Heenan, Lawler (where I am right now, he's about to come back so that's good), Okerlund, Sean Mooney, and now Jim Ross. As already mentioned, they already gotten rid of Boni Blackstone and Joe Fowler. So they don't really have a competent heel color guy or guy to do the filler segment in between matches. Really they don't have a competent color guy, period. Polo is more or less a caricature. So right now, they have Lane being a chipper face and heel commentator at the same time. That's well beyond his talents. They also are asking him to do some of the hype segments in between the matches at their desk. Unfortunately, he comes off as faker than a two dollar bill. He doesn't sound genuine at all. They put him in a real tough spot.

I am not sure how long he lasts for, but I am ready for this experiment to be over with.

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I kind of wanted that Gunther vs. Lesnar match, but I somewhat wonder if Gunther is dodging a bullet there knowing Lesnar's recent output. Plus, Lesnar is in his mid-40s now.

Gunther against McIntyre or McIntyre and Sheamus is probably going to be a better matchup.

GUNTHER/Lesnar doesn't need to happen until he's moving up to the big times.  And, most importantly, he needs to beat Brock (probably convincingly).  There's gotta be no doubt that he's a terrifying force that  Cody, Roman, or whoever is champ next year, will have to summon all their strength to beat.  

As someone who was also been watching some 94 WWF over the last year or two I can concur that there were quite some decent jobbers around at that time. Other names to add: Kanyon (he had multiple matches against Waltman), Mark Starr (a couple of days ago I watched him wrestle Scott Hall, Starr hit some pretty stiff chops which Hall did not like at all, Hall replied with full-force chops to Starr's face) and the OMEGA guys (Hardys, Jason Ahrndt and Marty Garner).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Robert S said:

As someone who was also been watching some 94 WWF over the last year or two I can concur that there were quite some decent jobbers around at that time. Other names to add: Kanyon (he had multiple matches against Waltman), Mark Starr (a couple of days ago I watched him wrestle Scott Hall, Starr hit some pretty stiff chops which Hall did not like at all, Hall replied with full-force chops to Starr's face) and the OMEGA guys (Hardys, Jason Ahrndt and Marty Garner).

You're right on the cusp of getting some Raw squashes with the Hardyz working underage, and I think at least one of the Headbangers pops up under their real name 

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You're right on the cusp of getting some Raw squashes with the Hardyz working underage, and I think at least one of the Headbangers pops up under their real name 

Glen Ruth by like 1994 had been on WWF TV like a whole bunch of times since like 1991 or 1992. So he's a regular enhancement guy already so you can also add him to the list of guys who either is better than a guy he's wrestling or went on to have a better in ring career. Chaz has been on at least once or twice.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

When people talk about Lesnar/Gunther as a match I think they aren't really being honest with themselves. What people want is 2002-2004/2012-2014 Lesnar when in reality it will just be the same suplex city Lesnar we have had for the past 9 years. That just isn't likely to lend itself to a good match even if Lesnar likes Gunther. I feel like its a match that should be avoided at all costs unless Lesnar is finally willing to break away from the suplex city style and work an actual match with someone who should have some evenness to him.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

What was the deal with Lane being an announcer in the first place?

I mean yeah he's 41 at the time but he'd offer their tag division something. They barely use Jimmy Del Ray towards the end of 94 onwards so they could have paired him with Dr Tom.

Similarly Michael Hayes is only 35 when he turns up in the WWF. I wonder if they genuinely gave consideration to a Freebirds reunion in 1996 before they realised Gordy couldn't go anymore.

Also Stan Lane faking a paternity test, paying off a state official, and now refusing to take any further test to confirm he's Lauren Boeberts father is wild.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Also Stan Lane faking a paternity test, paying off a state official, and now refusing to take any further test to confirm he's Lauren Boeberts father is wild.

Ayo what the fuck?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I mean yeah he's 41 at the time but he'd offer their tag division something. They barely use Jimmy Del Ray towards the end of 94 onwards so they could have paired him with Dr Tom.

Similarly Michael Hayes is only 35 when he turns up in the WWF. I wonder if they genuinely gave consideration to a Freebirds reunion in 1996 before they realised Gordy couldn't go anymore.

This may be conjecture, but it sounds like Del Ray may have been party guy and may have partied his way out of WWF. He also gets injured on Raw at some point.

I don't think Lane wanted to get back in the ring at the time. He probably went to do the commentary thing as a way to transition away from the ring.

As for Hayes....I happen to be watching WCW around the same time and Hayes and Jimmy Garvin show up in WCW. Garvin has of course been a pilot for a couple years now so he obviously doesn't look the same guy especially with no hair. Hayes looks like a 40+ year old guy, honestly. He can probably still go, but his prior WCW run, he didn't look to be in great shape.

Vince never was high on the Freebirds. He thought it was too rasslin'. He made Hayes cut his hair and change his name so yeah a Freebirds reunion was out of the question. Remember, one of the few times they acknowledged the Freebirds, Hayes went out on the Raw (in Dallas at Reunion Arena mind you) the night after No Way Out in Texas in 1998 to Badstreet USA and then got tombstoned by Kane. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This may be conjecture, but it sounds like Del Ray may have been party guy and may have partied his way out of WWF. He also gets injured on Raw at some point.

I don't think Lane wanted to get back in the ring at the time. He probably went to do the commentary thing as a way to transition away from the ring.

As for Hayes....I happen to be watching WCW around the same time and Hayes and Jimmy Garvin show up in WCW. Garvin has of course been a pilot for a couple years now so he obviously doesn't look the same guy especially with no hair. Hayes looks like a 40+ year old guy, honestly. He can probably still go, but his prior WCW run, he didn't look to be in great shape.

Vince never was high on the Freebirds. He thought it was too rasslin'. He made Hayes cut his hair and change his name so yeah a Freebirds reunion was out of the question. Remember, one of the few times they acknowledged the Freebirds, Hayes went out on the Raw (in Dallas at Reunion Arena mind you) the night after No Way Out in Texas in 1998 to Badstreet USA and then got tombstoned by Kane. 

Yeah if anything, Jimmy Garvin who was generally inactive was the worker of the team around that time.

Hayes def looks about 50 at the time. 

On the other hand, they were strongly teasing a Demolition return around this time too. And it would have been probably better received than the New Blackjacks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Ayo what the fuck?!

28 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Apparently needed neck surgery and being an announcer and there for a WWF employee got him insurance for it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Polo is more or less a caricature.

In the Forever Hardcore doc he said he was producing at the same time, so he'd call the office and tell them he was at the venue, call the venue and tell them he was at the office, and go back to sleep 😄 If he was (literally) sleepwalking through a production job I can only imagine what he was like on the mic then. 

As far as Wyatt goes, the dude no-showed Madison Square Garden. Think about that for a second. Methinks he ain't coming back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Theory's on the fast track upwards.  That Cena match is set in stone. 

Having Lashley/Lesnar as a final blowoff would rule.  But frankly, I think you can give that spot to someone like LA Knight, especially since it looks like the first HunterMania is going to be filled with showing off the next generation of WWE's guys. 

I don’t see Knight as the next generation considering he’s turning 41 this year. Plus it seems like some crowds love him while others realize he’s the worlds worst Rock impersonator.

I do agree on Theory though. I don’t have any use for him, but he’s definitely going to be pushed at or near the top. 

Didn't Hayes and Gordy already do a Freebirds reunion in AWF for the spitting ditance amount of time it was around? I definitelycremember them doingcat least a couple of promos before Hayes showed up on WWF TV

James

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

If I had an illegitimate kid that ended up like her, I'd do everything I could to distance myself as well.

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

So it's pretty much confirmed that Howdy is Bo Dallas, right? Has he been under contract this whole time and just never been doing anything, or was he released but just recently came back for this role?

I thought it was a foregone conclusion we'd get a Brock/Lashley blowoff after their last match, but they've since gone in this absurd direction. Brock demolishing Omos a week or two before Mania and MVP announcing he and Lashley were back on the same page and then setting up that match would be far better than what they're going with now.

• Like 2