DVDVR Message Board

2023 Live Music

Chaos

We are about to swing into spring and summer concert season along with summer festival season. This thread started years ago over my excitement over Bonnaroo and was basically just a festival announcement thread. I don't foresee making the farm this year (I do wish I had snagged tickets to Railbird), but I at the moment have a fun schedule (busiest one maybe ever) on the docket with some other ones on the horizon. My shows lately have been either Jam focused or big acts I've yet to see in person. Upcoming shows for me (card subject to change):

Umphrey's McGee - Pensacola, FL
Billy Strings - Mobile, AL (Night 2)
Lukas Nelson & POTR - Destin, FL
Shovels and Rope - Dothan, AL
The Revivalists - Atlanta
Foo Fighters - Birmingham
Swell Season - Nashville (Mother Church).

I also am hoping to catch Tyler Childers, a date of Dead & Company's final tour, Goose, or Phish along with whatever else pops up that seems doable. 

Edited by Chaos

Mine so far:

April 13th - An Evening with They Might Be Giants (thrice postponed Flood show) - Humphrey's By the Bay - San Diego, CA
April 29th - Yachtley Crew - The Sound - Del Mar, CA
May 4th - Celebrating David Bowie (featuring Peter Murphy, Adrian Belew, Scrote, Royston Langdon, etc.) - The Grove - Anaheim, CA

Enslaved is coming through Detroit in April, and I ain't missing that. Haven't seen them yet. 

Botch in Chicago in October. 

I'm probably gonna end up seeing Metallica at Ford Field. My good friend's wife works for Live Nation and is more than likely working that tour. 

REEEEAAALLLLY wanna go to Metal Threat Fest in April. Ved Buens Ende and Dead Congregation are playing Thursday and Friday, respectively. I am unemployed right now, though, so it ain't looking good. We'll see. 

• Like 1

I saw Springsteen a couple of weeks ago, my first time. He was great.

Only other thing I currently have on the calendar is Taylor Swift in Houston, because my wife got 2 tickets and wants me to go with her. But she's also considering selling them and maybe we'll go to Punk in Drublic Fest in Austin.

South by Southwest is coming up but being 51 and not listening to new music much, I don't know if I'll make any effort to go to day shows.

I'm still having a hard time paying $25+ for shows, and triple digits for some of the huge reunion shows. For all the shit Taylor Swift got, she had lots of $50 and $70 tickets to her Houston show.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 2:46 PM, southofheavy said:

REEEEAAALLLLY wanna go to Metal Threat Fest in April. Ved Buens Ende and Dead Congregation are playing Thursday and Friday, respectively. I am unemployed right now, though, so it ain't looking good. We'll see. 

Oh, totally. An old friend of mine is definitely going to at least one day of the fest and I'm gonna catch a ride with him if I can. I'm not a fan of fests (too many bands, too many people) but the death metal day and the death thrash final day are VERY appealing. It'll suck missing Imp Naz but I'm not a huge fan of most of the black metal day bands except for the awesome Slutvomit. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 2:45 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

I currently only have two shows upcoming on my "card"

April 17th @The Met in Philly - Skinny Puppy.

June 3rd @Wind Creek Event Centre in Bethlehem, PA - Puscifer

Thought I really, really hope to add to this.

Just picked up tickets to see Yob and Cave-In.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Dave Grohl decided to open a new venue in DC that's supposed to be a reconstruction of the original 9:30 Club.  In doing so, he decided to keep the first few months of its shows in a lottery, but the lineup is pretty ridiculous. 

https://theatlantis.com/

You should probably check it out for yourself if you're interested. But the tickets are by request only and for the most part can't be resold, except to just get your money back, more or less, thereby cutting out the third-party fuckfaces who try to scalp these tickets for tons more than face value (BTW, when did scalping become legal?). So you put in your requests by the end of the week and take your chances to see what you may or may not get.  I signed up for Foo & Pixies (obvi), X, Living Colour, Jenny Lewis, Drive-By Truckers, and Joan Jett.  Guess I'll see if any of them hit.

Edited by Contentious C

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I have tickets for Fleet Foxes here in Louisville in June.

Then, we're going to try to see The Hold Steady at a free waterfront show in July and catch The Mountain Goats the next night.

The big ones, though, come later in the year. For my son's sixth birthday, we surprised him with tickets to Guns N Roses in September in Lexington and KISS in Indy on Thanksgiving weekend. Once he saw the tickets and realized what was happening, he said, "This is my dream." I can't wait to see him rocking out at those shows. He's so excited.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 3:23 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm hanging with my best friends after three days of Dead and Company at Boulder. It was wonderful!

Yeah, I hate I'm not able to catch any of this tour. I've enjoyed listening to it on nugs. I watched some YouTube videos of the end of night 3. I might try to stream the San Fran shows if I don't head out for Phish in Atlanta. 

• 1 month later...

Currently sitting in the Anthem, about to watch The Swell Season for the second year in a row. Last year's show was pretty awesome, so here's hoping for another round of the same...

Yeah, pretty nifty show. They closed the last little encore with a cover of "Buzzin' Fly" by Tim Buckley, and I thought, "Oh shit, Glen's gonna find a way to work this back to a Jeff Buckley song, isn't he?" And he did! Jammed for a bit and then bridged into the whole first verse of "Grace" before going back to Tim's song with a pretty awesome bunch of distortion pedal work.

And they're working on a new album, so hooray!

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mark never played in BOC according to Wikipedia. It'd be great to see him live though. I read an article recently where he said the other two guys in Grand Funk ripped him off and have refused to play with him for years, even though he'd desperately like to reform. Since he's playing with different guys I wonder if the bass is as nuclear as it is on those early records? The self-titled red album has the loudest I've heard that wasn't on a reggae or hip hop record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-KLQChID8&ab_channel=GrandFunkRailroad-Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...