DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Well, everything is a matter of opinion, but I don’t think “Mark Briscoe is a awesome” is a minority one.

Even if we assume your premise is true, that it would only be “sympathy” to give Mark the belt…sympathy draws money in wrestling! And Mark is a genius who knows exactly how to get the most out of it.

If you reread my post, I started out saying “I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t have a lot of interest in seeing…..” so I dunno what you’re trying to argue here, or why.  

Trinity is one of my favorites. I was hoping she’d be on AEW but she might have more time to shine on ROH. Plus, seeing her in an environment against Athena would be more fun then a short feud to lose to Cargill.

• Like 3

Didn't order the show as I had a great but long day yesterday tiring me out. Reading the results, I'm glad I didn't. Miffed Mark Briscoe and Eddie Kingston lost, more so Mark. If I'd watch live when it went out, I'd be miffed much more. With @Matt D on the Lucha Brothers. Can't stand Pentagon particularly. He's to me what @just drew is to the Young Bucks. Get well soon, Dante Martin.

• Like 1

I watched the show last night and thought it was good. Vikingo and Kommander set a really high bar for the night. I was bummed Mark lost against Joe. Surprised that Shibata beat Yuta clean. I figured with Moxley lurking around something would happen. I hope the feud with Eddie and Claudio continues because that was a damn good match.

• Like 3

This might the most enjoyable show I've seen where so many matches had the wrong result.

Vikingo/Komander was a total spotfest, but the spots were top-notch. I think they now own the coveted "most ridiculous destoyer" trophy.

6-man titles was a smart power vs. speed match worked at a modern pace. Surprised to see the face team get so much offense. I guess Cage worked out a new deal, which is fine because the Embassy are pretty good B-show ace team.

Athena/Yuka was good. Athena is much better as a heel.

Joe/Mark was great match, but they definitely outsmarted themselves with Joe going over. Predictable heel wins are bad, predictable face wins are usually good. A better crowd would've helped this match a lot no matter which direction it went, though.

Garcia/Tana was good fun.

The ladder match was what it was. The "most ridiculous destroyer" trophy almost changed hands twice in one night, but you're disqualified if someone actually gets hurt. Not really sure what the endgame is for Lucha Bros as ROH champs. There's no one on their level at the moment and it's more AEW/ROH blending which I was hoping this show would be setting them up to move away from that.

Shibata/Yuta was an extended squash. I thought for sure they were setting up Yuta for the cheapest of wins with how bad he was getting outclassed. If there was one match the heel should've won, this was it. Shibata is awesome, but what is there for him to do in ROH? What good does it do ROH to not have their one distinct title regularly featured on their show?

Claudio/Eddie was MOTN for me. Really good late-90s AJ/early 00s NOAH feel. Claudio was working extra stiff tonight. In a vacuum, it's a leading MOTYC. In the context of a show with 2 of the 3 heels already retaining titles, closing the show, and not letting ROH establish any identity outside of AEW, it was entirely wrong. In a way, it was similar to MJF/Danielson where the booking was all wrong, but everything was executed perfectly between the bells.

“Sympathy” is exactly why I am happy Mark didn’t win. This match was great, Mark is a really good pro-wrestler, but if he won at Supercard there are people that would have argues it was only for the sympathy gesture, and he deserves way better than that. 

Also, I love been drawn into a story and then not having it play out the way I guessed and still make sense and make me more interested. 

i am firmly in the camp that this was the right call to make  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, evanknight said:

“Sympathy” is exactly why I am happy Mark didn’t win. This match was great, Mark is a really good pro-wrestler, but if he won at Supercard there are people that would have argues it was only for the sympathy gesture, and he deserves way better than that. 

Also, I love been drawn into a story and then not having it play out the way I guessed and still make sense and make me more interested. 

i am firmly in the camp that this was the right call to make  

I don't really see how Mark's clear super high calibre of talent would be completely overlooked when scoring any victories in this promotion, or AEW for that matter. Mark is a top tier talent, and it's only a matter of time before he's pretty broadly considered as such. Joe is certainly booked well and protected, but I don't see how Mark going over him would even be that big of an upset. That said, I'm with you on being competely fine with a longer story. And maybe even more interested now. I believe the thinking towards Mark, and Eddie, losing was this being ultimately a minor or lesser show on a weekend crammed with shows, including one really big one that will be the talk no matter who won what on the ROH PPV.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:31 AM, Go2Sleep said:

Shibata is awesome, but what is there for him to do in ROH? What good does it do ROH to not have their one distinct title regularly featured on their show?

I think the odds he loses the belt to Danielson are ridiculously high.  If they’re not running Danielson-Shibata and Shibata is going to take the belt home with him for a few months and relax, then, yeah, I dunno what the point is.

The "most ridiculous destroyer" trophy almost changed hands twice in one night

Doesn’t it change hands at least twice most weekends?

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

FszOU0YXsAAtLqa?format=jpg&name=small

I’m just waiting for those caterpillars Tony calls eyebrows to make a break for it and wiggle away.

Tony’s not on cocaine.  He’s that rare unicorn who would actually be calmer if he was high.  Who needs drugs when you’re that excitable naturally.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

Hard to see where things go next, especially with Kingston and Briscoe having relatively similar story arcs if those stories are going to continue (and they're top babyfaces in the company so it really has to).

With a bit of distance from Friday, and, of course, what's happened since, I think what I'd like to see next is Eddie and Mark coming together to find some sort of balance with one another. Mark's spirituality and balance could help Eddie. Eddie's chip on his shoulder and feelings of aggrievement that drive him could help Mark. I know Mark doesn't want to do straight up tags right now, so that's an issue with this, but I think there might be ways around that.

• Like 3

If Dante didn't have any ligament damage and it was just a bone break, he'll make a full recovery in 6-8 months. Those tibia/fibula fractures always look gross, but unlike ligaments and tendons, your body can grow new bone cells. His prognosis with a dangling foot is much better than Shane McMahon's seemingly innocuous fall, even without taking age and general conditioning into account.

Edit: To clarify, this is not actual news about Dante Martin, just me observing patterns of athletic injuries from 30 years of watching sports.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Does anybody have a non-spoiler match listing from Long Island tonight?

Here you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Even Stevens? The Vest in the World!

There's a fairly decent chance that they, and Notorious Mimi, will be doing a Rick Rude tonight and appearing on two shows simultaneously.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DEAN said:

Holeeeeee shit that sounds really good

• Like 2

ROH! I'M HARDCORE!  SHANE motherfuking TAYLOR!  With the Workhorsemen!  It's Mark Briscoe!  It's the Lucha Brothers!  PENTA! He will annoy people on the baord HARDCORE!  Oh man, I await MArk Briscoe and Shane Taylor and they start off!  PENTA stomps on Anthony Henry's booty!  FROM THE TOP!   The Workhorsemen are all about the wacky double teams.  Briscoe seems to be having a big time!  TAYLOR hits a GNARLY fuckin K DRILLER! Mark hits a J DRILLER!  For the win!  That was fun.  HARDCORE!  Katsuyori SHIBATA!  CHRISTOPHER DANIELS!  PURE RULES! FUCKING HARDCORE!  I love how Mid-Atlantic 1975 a Pure Rules match is.  Until Shibata starts kicking the fuck out of someone. Figure Four!  Ropebreak number one!  Daniels goes for the head of Shibata!  Daniels with the ANACONDA HOLD!  This match is SO hardcore!  Shibata sells his SKULL!  Shibata does the Tomohiro Ishii Walk Of Death!  Corner Kick by Shinata!  Sleeper!  Second ropebreak!  DUELING STOs!  Penalty Kick and Shibata wins! That was great!  Christopher Daniels is on a wild resurgence in the NEW ROH!  Brian Cage (WHO ISN'T SIGNED YET!  OH NO! HE'S GONNA SHOOT!) takes on Ortiz!  Ortiz has been drifting for a while.  This will be indietastic.  Ortiz leans into CAge's strikes to the point that one notices Cage's strikes!  Cage gets in his stuff and Ortiz makes it look really good.  Cage applies the Chinlock to facilitate an Ortiz comeback.  Ortiz shows a lot of BABYFACE FIRE! Ortiz hits a DEATH VALLEY DRIVER!  Nearfall on one of of Cages endless finishers!  They whiff on a Rana but Cage rolls with it!  Nearfall on an Ortiz Powerbomb!  Cage hits a Drill Claw for the win!  On to IMPACT!  young Brian!  It's Jay Lethal!  He IS Ring of Honor!  Satnam is wearing the coolest coat on EARTH!  Darius hits a SWEET tope!  Oh yeah, I always forget- JAY LETHAL FUCKING RULES!  I love that Maria is talking shit about Dante.  Lethal is wrestling for four in this.  Darius kicks Satnam's magnificent jacket!  Matt Taven comes in and Superkicks Darius!  That was fine.  The Infantry!  RUSH will beat the shit out of the INFANTRY!  They delay the assbeating by having Dralistico and Shawn Dean!  Dralistico does the GREAT Fuerza Guerrerro I Am Your Friend rudo spot.  OH JESUS!  RUSH TAGS IN!  HE beats on Carlie!   The Infantry are bumping like maniacs.  Dralistico get the pin!  That was short.  Tracy Williams hits the ring!  Daniel Garcia is a HEAT MACHINE!  Williams does crazy roll up with a Cravate!  Man, Tracy Williams is fucking AWESOME.  Garcia is the NEW JEFF JARRETT!   So fucking great!  They are fucking laying it in!  Williams is FUCKING AWESOME.  PUT THE BELTS ON HIM!  Garcia hits a Flash Lungblowing Thingy!  I wish that went thirty more minutes.  So fucking great.  It's Willow Nightingale!  It's Notorious Mimi!  Willow fucks around early.  DOCTOR BOMB! And that's that.  That was more of AEW Dark match.  It's Vincent and Dutch!  He was on IMPACT! not that long ago.  Even Stevens are wearing matching sweater vests.  Nice Exploider by Dutch.  That was a Before The Impact match.  We're hitting a rough spot.  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  TONY NESE!  Things are picking back up!  Tony Nese is grounding young Soup!  Nese gets in a fun wad of wrestling.  Takeshita Skins the Cat but Josh Woods CHEATS!  Takeshita is our sympathetic babyface.  Nese keeps cutting Soup off!  Nese LEANS WAY into a Lariat!  GREAT SENTON by Soup!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB!  TOPE CON HILO!  Lard Lad beats on the rest of the Varsity Athletes!  Fun nearfall by Nese!  GREAT NEARFALL to the first part of Soup's EVEREST GERMN SUPLEX!  GREAT NEARFALL on Nese's Pumphandle thingy!  Konosuke Takeshita hits the Rolling German Suplex FOR THE WIN!  THAT was fucking GREAT!  Tony Nese is awesome.  Nese made this a Soup match that @Matt D could get behind.  DON'T PEE, MATT! DON'T PEE!  Konosuke Takeshita is FUCKING AWESOME!  That match made up for three other less than HARDCORE matches tonight.  Miyu Yamashita!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  ATHENA is fucking AWESOME leaning into Miyu's kicks.  ATHENA goes all Fit Finlay on the outside!  INDIAN DEATHLOCK!  Miyu kicks ATHENA on the apron and ATHENA beats her on the outside!  Miyu gets in a lot of kicks in after hitting a Toprope Air Raid Crash thingy!  DEATH VALLEY DRIVER ON THE RAMP by Miyu!  Wheelbarrow Senton off the ramp to the floor by ATHENA!  GREAT Crossface by ATHENA for the WIN!  That was fucking great and I'm usually unimpressed by Yamashita! This was all about ATHENA leaning into Miyu kicks and making them look good.  Had some shitty matches mixed in with the good stuff.  The three matches with Japanese folks in them made this episode SUPERHARDCORE!  Tracy Williams was the SUPERSTAR of the episode.  ATHENA fucking RULES!   ROH RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!  HARDCORE!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2