DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I’ve probably been hardest on Pillman Jr and Anderson than anyone, but I’ll say that Dominic Mysterio going from nepotistic geek to heat seeking missile seemingly overnight after going to the clink is a lesson to not count guys out. 

Honestly I think that having twice his fathers height and half the athletic ability of his father is a blessing in disguise for young Dom. gonna force him to do his own thing which will serve him well in the long run

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Honestly I think that having twice his fathers height and half the athletic ability of his father is a blessing in disguise for young Dom. gonna force him to do his own thing which will serve him well in the long run

Eddy's persona + (hopefully) El Dandy's ability would be a great combo.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I still think Griff is a lot better than Pillman. He does have the unfortunate fate of having the exact same look as Jungle Boy, but taller. In a different time that would give him the edge, but he doesn’t have an illustrious family history compared to contemporaries today.

Agreed re: Griff being the better worker - I should have expanded on that point more, but that's part of the exact reason I think Pillman and Anderson could benefit more from the additional ring time. 

Pillman Jr. sadly can't put it all together. Maybe he needs a run as a gaijin in Japan to find himself similar to Harry Smith, Juice, and Archer. It also doesn't help that Action Andretti is now basically the WCW babyface Brian Pillman.

I mean, I'll give him credit. TK tried and he certainly tried with the time he had on TV, but it just never worked.

• Like 4

Starkz throws a very nice suplex! Athena & Diamante as partners who wanna fight should be fun. If I was booking AEW, Workhorsemen vs Dark Order would be main eventing Dynamite. I LIKE THE NEW MATCHING GEAR! The match more than lived up to my VERY high expectations! Roosh just absolutely demolished Pillman! Magical Girl! Hey. Whaddaya know? Athena & Diamante as partners who wanna fight each other WAS entertaining. Sakazaki LAYING IT IN was just great, too. Finish marked me right out! HEYYYYY I'M LIVIN' Top Flight vs Ari & Neece was RIDICULOUSLY nifty. If I am being honest, I enjoyed the goofy LET'S REMEMBER SOME GUYS NBA references on commentary ALMOST as much as I enjoyed the match. The Yuka/Dark Order skit KILLED me. I LOVE The Outrunners. Outrunners vs Workhorsemen and vs Bear Country and vs Gates of Agony please! WHAT A MAIN EVENT! They pulled out all the stops for Elevation #100. I was distracted throughout the show by the guy with the same facial hair as me in the loud shirt apparently mansplaining the entire show to his wife. What a patient woman. I hope he appreciates her.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Starkz would be better off taking a beating, earning sympathy, coming back with big fire and saving the German Suplex for her big  comeback spot and a nearfall, and certainly saving the Tiger Suplex for a finisher. Just saying.

• Like 3

Well, that was a lot of fun.

Strap a rocket to Billie Starkz. Let her be the Action Andretti to Jade Cargill.

I legit bought into the idea that The Workhorsemen were going to pull a minor upset over Silver and Reynolds. JD Drake is the fucking best. He's a top notch southern style brawler and also a great base/catcher. I would build my theoretical promotion around a guy like Drake.

Rush beating the shit out of Pillman was good stuff. That family at ringside had no idea what they were in for.

Athena is the fucking best and deserves better than her current position but I'm also kind of okay with her having the freedom to just be a goofball and then just maul people in the ring. Yuka's music sounds like Dance Dance Revolution. Once Billie Starkz is working full-time, she and Skye Blue have to become a tag team and pull a shocking upset to win the inaugural AEW women's tag team belts.

Having Smart Mark as the mouthpiece for plain yogurt with abs and Ari Daivari is a good idea. Dante really does defy gravity, but he needs to realize that he can lay in his forearms and punches a little more snug all the time, not just when BCC are laying them in. Not sure how Darius (with the schwa sound Riccobani-style) got busted open.

I want much more of the Outrunners. I DEMAND an Outrunners-Workhorsemen tag. Anyway, Menard's reactions to the whole match really made it.

Speaking of Action Andretti, I'm not saying Blake Christian deserves Action Andretti's push...oh wait, maybe I am. Claudio is so great, and I may have to track down Cesaro-Big Show. 

Time to go watch the Billie Starkz-DMD match since I'm fucking iced into my hotel in Abilene for like 3 days and also on my fourth beer.

• Like 2

Man, Red Velvet made Billy Starkz look like a killer.  Starkz Tiger Driver was sweet. Red Velvet took her Released German like a KING! I loved her Swanton.  Starkz leaned into Red Velvet's kinda crappy finisher and made it look good.  One call up to the Black Pool Combat Club or TEAM DMD and the DESTROY SWITCH is ready to be flipped for Space Jesus. ATHENA is fucking awesome even in backstage vignettes.  Best supporting performance is gal whose stock is rising since EVERYBODY is laying it in and she has been doing it since day one, Diamante!  Anthony Henry makes Alex Reynolds look better than the TJ MAXX Trent Barretta he can come off as sometimes.  The Workhorseman looked way better than the Dark Order for the most part until you hit the homestretch and you remember why you love John Silver.  The reason RUSH! is so motherfucking great is because he CONTINUOUSLY challenges your manhood.  He's not subtle about it like Jon Moxley is.  To RUSH, YOU are a milsop, and RUSH can destroy you.  That being established, Brian Pillman acquitted him self well when RUSH was beating the dogshit out of him and he was actually firing back.  Quality CHEATING by LLI.  Way better that it had any right to be.  Goddam, ATHENA RULES! Diamante and ATHENA should get ALLLL the tag belts.  They were fucking AWESOME beating on Skye Blue so much that the crowd was afraid she wouldn't be pretty no more.  Diamante was Doug Summers to ATHENA's Playboy Buddy Rose.  I'm not sure Yuka can gather the assbeat to make the match versus ATHENA next in a string of breathtaking matches, but ATHENA can do other kinds of wrestling so it should allright.  Oooon the other hand, there's a golden baaaand,  Skye Blue vs ATHENA for the belt would truly rule.  Smart Mark Sterling tricks everyone in Kentucky into admitting that they stink!  I dunno.  I like a good bar of soap and would prolly look under my chair!  Okay!  Here's what they need to do!  Get Swerve Strickland back in the tag scene OR have Shane Taylor and that other dude feud with Top Flight for a chance at the titles.  They got to start putting some more real matches under their belts.  It can all point Top Flight versus the Acclaimed.  Tony Neese and Air Daivari are both so SLICK!  Darius/Neese was especially good in the ring.  Darius Martin is the most spectacular wrestler in wrestling?  The best thing about the House of Black was, of course, DADDY MAGIC!  In my mind, I imagine Daddy Magic and Matt D screeching in stereo!  Oh man!  Claudio vs Blake Christian is a hoot. I love how Claudio dominated like a MidSouth heel until Blake got in his giant comeback.  Claudio is so awesome he took the goofiest move in wrestling- the Giant Swing- and turned it into a devastating SUBMISSION!  I sure Chris Jericho thought of that.  That show fucking ruled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't want to pile on Pillman but I've rarely ever seen someone who was a "name" swallowed up like he was at the start of the RUSH match. 

• Rush smacks him.
  • Pillman fires up.
  • Instead of firing back with a shot of his own, Pillman locks up. It's an ok lock-up, but...
  • Pillman maneuvers him into the corner, a set up for his dad's style of chop. Great, ok. 
  • RUSH dodges the chop, controls from there.
  • Yikes

Some of that is RUSH, because of course it is, but this felt worse than a lot of things you see, because that opening bit where the heel gets some comeuppance during the shine after an early affront is just the common language of wrestling. As a viewer, you're taking a walk up a set of stairs and a stair is just missing and you stumble. Watching Pillman, Jr. is bad because not only is Brian falling on his face, but he makes you fall on your face as a viewer too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't want to pile on Pillman but I've rarely ever seen someone who was a "name" swallowed up like he was at the start of the RUSH match. 

• Rush smacks him.
  • Pillman fires up.
  • Instead of firing back with a shot of his own, Pillman locks up. It's an ok lock-up, but...
  • Pillman maneuvers him into the corner, a set up for his dad's style of chop. Great, ok. 
  • RUSH dodges the chop, controls from there.
  • Yikes

Some of that is RUSH, because of course it is, but this felt worse than a lot of things you see, because that opening bit where the heel gets some comeuppance during the shine after an early affront is just the common language of wrestling. As a viewer, you're taking a walk up a set of stairs and a stair is just missing and you stumble. Watching Pillman, Jr. is bad because not only is Brian falling on his face, but he makes you fall on your face as a viewer too. 

That was RUSH saying, "You're not a man."  When he finally mixes it up with Rush he gets to feeling like, "HEY WAIT!  Did he DISRESPECT ME?"  because Pillman is a dope.

• Like 4

This all makes me feel bad for Pillman Jr. He wants to succeed at pro wrestling, it's always tougher when your parent was a wrestler before you and a star, and he just isn't putting it together. I know in the past he's blamed drugs or alcohol for some of his struggles and I doubt that's the issue here.

Yeah, if not going to Japan, he would be better off going to the PC and letting them mold him into their kind of wrestler. 

• Like 1

Ugh, terribly disappointed to see Red Velvet go from fresh exciting heel to middling babyface again. What the fuck? Reform the Original Baddies trio, goddamnit! Clearly, Billie Starks is gonna be really good. ATHENA just continues to rule the wrestling world. What a great heel! One wonders, what a heel turn could do for lame duck Brian Pillman Jr. He was a fun heel in MLW, if memory serves correct. The pairing with Anderson father and son intrigues me. It especially interests me as a heel tandem. I loved seeing the fantastic Roosh just kill young Brian here. Work Horsemen-Dark Order was solid. I like the try on ring attire for the Horsemen. It didn't entirely work, but I think they're going in the right direction. Henry's Greenhair doesn't work with the concept. Daddy Magic can see what I'm saying. Solid tags from Top Flight-Nese/Davari and Skye/Yuka-Athena/Diamante. Dug the Dark Order-Yuka segment. I close my eyes and try to will into existence More promos on Dark Elevation. I get a sense that Brody King is the one who's gonna benefit from the House of Black allegiance most. The Kings looked good here. Dig these Outrunners! Claudo-Blake Christian was a nice main event. Blake Christian's whitemeat babyface act is winning me over. Castignoli is tremendous. Let's get the ROH TV going so he can get some direction, yeah? Matt Menard is easily the best commentator in wrestling right now. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Off to work so no time for a full write-up, but Workhorsemen and Magical Girl both on YouTube TWICE in one week feels like pure Gordlow Fan Service and I am VERY HAPPY about that. Also: Takeshita vs Angelico (w/Luther & Serpentico) was SUCH glorious bullshit and a PERFECT YouTube main event. I am off to work full of joy today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's TOP FLIGHT and AR FOX!  It's PPA-TPBIAEW!  Cezar Bononi looks all seedy and sinister now!  I don't what I love more- AR Fox's completely psycho quasi-matwork (?) that hits on Ryan Nemeth or his truly hilarious old man sounds he makes while selling.  Top Flight are a MACHINE with the double teams.  This was good!  Bonini was the glue that held it together.  Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks will a MILLION things in store for these three lads.  Red Velvet and Sofia Castillo have a little match.  Velvet doesn't have enough ass beat to make it good Wednesday but that was a fun submission.  She should do more of this.  HEY! MADMAN FULTON is OVER in Orlando!  Zach Clayton kinda stinks up the match so it doesn't matter.  I see that they are cleaning out the closet because Rosario Grillo has been on the shelf for over a month.  Rene Michel looked fucking great in against Skye Blue, as Skye Blue kinda gave her everything and then hit with her secondary (?) finisher.  Nice attempt at a Rolloing German Suplex by Michel. MAAAAAN!  AEW or ROH have to find something for Shane Taylor.  He is a fucking MAULER.  Hey! It's Yuka Sakazaki!  Taz is enchanted by how adorable she is.  Avery Breaux looked great in this match- as Yuka wanted to tell a little story: "The big mean lady doesn't like me and I'm confused."  Hmmm.  Maybe ATHENA/Yuka is RULE after all.  The Workhorsemen beat up some dudes.  Allright!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  ANGELICO!  Oh man, that first Navarro submission hold was so fucking awesome.  I wonder if Takeshita ever came across that before.  This match is great because of Angelico setting up the Blue Thunder Bomb, SERP taking out the EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX and Angelico MUSCLING THROUGH the nastiest fucking Reverse Brainbuster I HAVE ever seen.  Angelico is awesome.  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA is AWESOME!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what Cezar Bononi was going for with his new look. The old colourful gear switched out for basic black is OK, but having Adolf Hitler's hairstyle is a bit of a no no.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not sure what Cezar Bononi was going for with his new look. The old colourful gear switched out for basic black is OK, but having Adolf Hitler's hairstyle is a bit of a no no.

A "Boy from Brazil" gimmick is certainly one way to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I was cracking up at Taz' line - I forget the exact phrasing, but something about 'He's the meanest, toughest, most violent... Librarian. Hey wait, that's Avalon's gimmick'