DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 1/27/2023

The Natural

It must have felt so good for Jamie Hayter to help showcase the incredible skills of Emi Sakura in such a definitive way.  In turn, Emi helps make a further convincing case that Hayter should keep holding onto the title for a long time.  A brutal but beautiful match to watch, in that sense.  

Plus, Mei Suruga!  Everybody wins!

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

Plus, Mei Suruga!  Everybody wins!

And Baliyan Akki! I was hoping they'd recreate the chicken fight spot they did with Little Mean Kathleen and Teddy Goodz, but with Rebel and Britt Baker

• Like 3

Hangman vs Wheeler is exactly the kind of sorta dream match I love to see. Page is a top guy but still young, not a real veteran and Wheeler has credibility from BCC. These two going all out was wonderful!

The trios match was super entertaining. Quite the week for Jay Lethal. Jarrett was being very entertaining as well! C'mon, It's getting very hard to dispute!

Hobbs already 3-0? Must have missed Darks and/or Elevations where two of those happened. Mudd reminded me of my nephew's dad, in the same way Bobby Fish does. He couldn't hang with the Powerhouse. I think someone needs to get a hold of that book and see what they need to avoid, if it's already written in there!

Yeah, the main event was crazy! AEW really has something great in Hayter. When Statlander, Hirsch and Rosa are ready to return, the Women's roster will be insane.

• Like 1

They are in total comic heel act mode with Jarrett’s crew. They even won by cheating against Danhausen of all people. So happy with this direction. They are a complete parody of a wrestling heel faction.

Edit: Dante Martin is getting a lot better at talking. He’s been putting on the work behind the scenes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

I’m still watching the show but came here to mention the Avalanche Deathvalleydriver.com not being a match ender, it should become Hangman’s super finisher because it looked amazing.

Glad the whole discussion has been about this. Great minds.

It was a beautiful move, had that lovely “crunch” at the end.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Agreed. Avalanche moves like that should end the match.

bugs me to no end that a top rope head dropping move is a near fall but the play of the day/overdrive/what have you is a near fall

I like the continuity of Britt still being a catty bitch to Ruby even though she's a face

Was that Mei WOWZA! What a dress!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TK: "That Deathvalleydriver board is a wonderful place.... except for that Gregg guy."

• I caught the last few seconds of Yuta vs Hangman, and that was a very Punkshot level Death Rider.
  • Felt just a little bad for Taylor since Danhausen was way more over than he was. This was fun, with the best part being Sonjay's sell of the Orange Punch, but I hope they spend a few weeks with it at least as there are a bunch more matches I want to see out of the pairing. I thought Satnam did a good job selling the rope drapings. He's making progress. A fake golden globe as a weapon is such 1990 Memphis bullshit.
  • I struggle to see what a good payoff for Hobbs would be. You'd think maybe the guy to beat Darby but he just had a TNT title feud where he ate the fall. You don't want him beating Cassidy, though on some level, for him to be the guy to wrestle all of the international wrestlers would be interesting at least. Different. Maybe a Page feud? But then who wins? Maybe a Mox feud? That'd be good even if he didn't win. He'd just have to hold his own.
  • Main event was excellent. Crowd stayed in it even through the long bits of heat. A lot of that was on Hayter showing fire but then getting cut down. During the break, Excalibur got confused and called Mei "Mei Saint-Michel" for some reason even though they're clearly (clearly) different people. Emi gets so into things that part of me wasn't sure she'd have the ability to modulate the act for this setting, but past a few "I am your highness"es when she was going for the moonsault, she had the slider 2/3rds the way to full seriousness (which as good as the Shida match from last year was, wasn't something she did then). I'd almost be sad to see her used in a setting other than Elevation since she's such a beloved part of that show. It's like taking Eigen or Okuma out of the Baba comedy six mans. Emi Elevation tags are weekly bits of comfort and joy, but she both deserves more spotlight and can absolutely deliver and contribute.
  • Bring on Swerve vs Dustin! I could be wrong, because Swerve's offense is pretty goofy, but I just have a feeling Dustin would be the best babyface possible and Swerve the most vile heel and it'd be a great match.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Unexpected great Rampage this week! Hangman-Yuta was on point. I'm with the avalanche DVD should be a finish not a mid-match nearfall. Strangely, I feel more distaste for mid-match nearfall piledrivers (including that ridiculous 1 count Hangman sell with Mox). The absolute worst one I can remember was that Guevara-MJF match with the Avalanach Piledriver 2 count. Orndorff and the territorial banning of that still tremendous move greatly influenced my idea of wrestling psychology. Ricky Starks could benefit from a promo coach. Wait! He's clearly got terrific speaking ability, but so often he has nothing to say. Surely, a guide could help direct his terrific flow. I will say I prefer 'because that's the absolute truth' than 'because I'm absolute'. Message here is he can beat Christ Jericho. Alright. Eddie Kingston's excuse (not that his perfectly fine promo needed it) is a thus far mediocre storyline. Bad cutaway at the end of that promo - c'mon Mansury clean up this poor cutting please! Jarrett/Lethal/Dutt/Satnam are the chef's kiss. So relieved Jay's tears and love on Wednesday didn't lead to a face turn. The Satnam-Danhausen showdown was a wonderful moment. The Best Friends crew traditionally rule Friday nights, but this Sonjay led team sure gives them a run for their money. I dig Puh-Puh-Puh-Powerhouse, but these useless squashes need to stop. At least give us a unique jobber situation. Gimme Willie Hobbs destroying a huge dude like that Ben Bishop guy. Or how bout a decisive win over any of the many solid undercard Dark guys? Enough of 'Powerhouse Hobbs In Action' against guys like 'Troy MUDD'. I like seeing Red and Kiera hanging out, but so badly want them to be the heels. Velvet is clearly a better heel, further, the crowd likes Jade, so I hope they just go with it. Outsiders vs Homegrown as a theme is fine, but as a talking point feels a bit silly. I didn't watch WWE during her run, but Toni doesn't feel like a former Titan Sports contracted performer. Hayter-Sakura was one of the better main events this show has featured. Just wnoderful! AEDubya rolling along with terrific television. 

• Like 4

Saturday Reflections:  JESUS CHRIST!  THAT MATCH WAS FUCKING PSYCHOTIC!  I was noticing that THREE of Hayter's best title matches were against Riho, Hikaru Shida and Emi Sakura.  I wonder if the are just going to bring in Arisa Nakajima and Ryo Mizunami who can work Hayter's style or are they going to just start beat the living hell out of US Indie/ NXT graduates.  I mean, I'm for either.  Actually,  I seems like the organic insane stiffness started when Toni Storm arrived, she brought it out of Hayter, Athena decided to just start beating the fuck out of people and now Ruby Soho is moving towards a hardcore wrestling-based stiffness.  Willow Nightingale is way more into a monstrous Power Offense than I EVER saw her use in the indies.  And I'm thinking that this is all the work of Madison Rayne?  It's so cool.  Jamie Hayter is the best thing to happen to US Pro Wrestling in forever.

• Like 13

Jamie's totally AEW's MVP these days. That match with Shida was just bonkers and now with Emi. Hope we get Jamie/Riho again someday and so happy there's a great list of challengers for her too. I hope we get a long reign out of her if she's gonna keep putting on matches like these.

• Like 4

Am I crazy, or is the "avalanche" qualifier only supposed to be applied to top rope stuff? Like, that's how you differentiate a "normal," Barry Windham-style superplex from one where both guys are standing on the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Am I crazy, or is the "avalanche" qualifier only supposed to be applied to top rope stuff? Like, that's how you differentiate a "normal," Barry Windham-style superplex from one where both guys are standing on the top.

Good question. I think traditionally, I've always thought it as a move not usually done off the turnbuckles done off the turnbuckles. A Superplex already has its own special name. There isn't a Deadlier Valley Driver or anything.

• Like 2