DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/25/2023

The Natural

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of using ideas from 1997 WWF: tournament to determine which team faces Mark + someone else and then the partner is revealed in a way that is sorta like Nikita Koloff stepping in for Magnum TA? you know who would make for a good partner if they weren't taking a sabbatical from AEW right now? either Dax or Cash.

Anyways, probably wayyyy too early to fantasy book here.

What about Jay Lethal as Mark Briscoe's tag partner? It would get him away from Jeff Jarrett (and maybe cycle Jarrett off TV to be a backstage / running shit guy).

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew POE! said:

He did target the arm of Danielson throughout the match despite not having a submission finisher

he's a big enough dude that they could have had him do a bearhug where wraps his arms around Danielson's arms/back, like if a boa constructor was wrestling Brian Danielson... even if bearhugs can be death for matches

I guess they realize if they're doing an injury seeking angle involving Danielson, it can't involve heels trying to break his neck because that would be a little too dark for a wrestling show

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I won't lie, part of me kinda thought he was gonna hand one of em to Lethal at the end.

Me too - I figure Mark will get to pick a replacement for his brother. If he wants but I could see him never tagging full time again either. I was thinking 20 years as a brother tag team.  Legit that's a really long time together - The Briscos only lasted 17 years together. 

40 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

That match made me hope Brian Cage goes somewhere else.  That was awful.

Mismatch in styles and they just never got on the same page. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

What about Jay Lethal as Mark Briscoe's tag partner? It would get him away from Jeff Jarrett (and maybe cycle Jarrett off TV to be a backstage / running shit guy).

I'm in favor of anything that gets Jeff Jarrett off my tv. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess they realize if they're doing an injury seeking angle involving Danielson, it can't involve heels trying to break his neck because that would be a little too dark for a wrestling show

It’s also about softening Danielson up for the Salt of the Earth armbar. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of using ideas from 1997 WWF: tournament to determine which team faces Mark + someone else and then the partner is revealed in a way that is sorta like Nikita Koloff stepping in for Magnum TA? you know who would make for a good partner if they weren't taking a sabbatical from AEW right now? either Dax or Cash.

Anyways, probably wayyyy too early to fantasy book here.

The weird thing is I have no idea who would be the best fit for this. The Briscoes have had amazing rivalries against so many opponents. I could see Joe, Lethal, one of FTR, even them bringing in Homicide for the role would be cool.

Also, special shoutout to Jay Lethal. He was a hiring that seemed to get largely eye rolls as a reaction, but he's such a good midcard hand that can afford to take losses. One of the signings, and a safe hand to work with basically anybody. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yeah, that's my sentiment as well. Brian Cage had a better match (for him) but it was still terrible for Danielson or anyone else. Brian Cage is honestly suited as a tag team wrestler (he needs a Barbarian to his Warlord) or jobber squash matches on Dark / Dark Elevation / Whatever ROH does. He has the look, the size, but holy shit does he not have the wrestling ability. Vince McMahon would have stuck him in a Brawling Brutes like faction with John Morrison & The Miz.

He did target the arm of Danielson throughout the match despite not having a submission finisher (I mean I guess he could have gone for the Fujiwara armbar, but why?).

I will say though....no one gets seriously injured wrestling him.

MJF wanted Danielson's arm injured and offered Cage a bounty if he injured it.

As for Mark's partner, I'd ask NJPW for Yano, given their history as 6-man champs.    Either that, or

Edited by Jenalysis

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It’s also about softening Danielson up for the Salt of the Earth armbar. 

then again, Danielson's neck injury also messed up his right arm for a period of time, which may or may not have been referred/alluded to on some piece of AEW commentary that I didn't notice

looking over some Danielson opponents from 2000 MCW for ideas for future opponents

probably not Kendrick due to several reasons that nerfed the last time he was about to wrestle in AEW (although MJF might get to the point of bringing in guys who think Jews are Lizard People to get the job done on Danielson)

Scott Vick worked once in 2021 tagging with Lodi

Guys like Mike Maverick and Shooter Shultz don't have any cagematch results for the last 20 years.

Seven and Thrasher lost the MCW Southern Tag Team titles to Danielson/Kendrick in 2000. Fertig and Thrasher are still working.

Moving into the 2001 Super 8... Reckless Youth hasn't worked since 2010. I doubt they're gonna bring in Low Ki for a one shot because that would necessitate Low Ki jobbing.

edit: Charlie Haas is still working! he's also 50, so I don't think Charlie Haas is gonna become Mark Briscoe's new partner.

Edited by Cobra Commander

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's tough to imagine Lethal and Sonjay going back to heels w/ Jarrett after tonight. I mean, could the Dark Order have been heels after Brodie's passing?

I would suggest it’s a somewhat different situation because Jay Briscoe wasn’t the leader of Jarrett’s group. And between them working together on Flair’s last match and how much everyone seems to enjoy working together from the sense I got of Jarrett on IIRC Jericho’s pod, I get the sense there’s no desire on their part to start breaking up the group. 

Maybe someone else feels differently though. 

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Great show but my desire for an agent or filter for match layouts continues.

We had Reverse/Poison Ranas is the first two matches and multiple Buckle Bombs across the show.
It reminds of the scene in The Wrestler when the guys are all "You can't work the arm tonight. We're working the arm. Why don't you work the neck?"

Edit your stuff people.

There were also two Liger bombs for nearfalls... in both the first AND second matches. Really guys, get your shit together. 

Then again, we also got a Scott Norton Shoulderbreaker so maybe I shouldn't complain. Speaking of which, since Cage is getting shit on I feel like I have to defend him here a bit. He was a workhorse slotted in there to do a job, which is advance the angle that MJF is trying to break Bryan's arm, and he did that job perfectly well along with some Kanyon-esque twists on moves to add in impact on the shoulder. It also helps that Bryan's selling is terrifying these days. When he took the bump in the corner I was scared and when he started selling on the floor I was seriously concerned. That is pro wrestling, folks. 

There was a hilarious moment where Riccaboni called Mark "always thinking" and a strategist. Yes, Mark Briscoe, the man always ten steps ahead! 

EDIT: You know what? This is the wrong show to complain about MOVEZ. These cats are grieving, they deserve a break. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was a hilarious moment where Riccaboni called Mark "always thinking" and a strategist. Yes, Mark Briscoe, the man always ten steps ahead! 

IIRC, it was also said that Mark Briscoe had the highest IQ in the ROH locker room. 

I knew it all along that Mark Briscoe was actually a genius playing the role of a simpleton to throw his opponents off. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

underestimate a guy that is missing a few front teeth at your own risk

anyways.. didn't Buddy and Cage both do some variant of a back suplex on the apron in their matches?

overly insider baseball gimmick: a wrestler whose moveset sometimes openly steals moves from matches earlier in the show.. a man who is unstoppable later in cards, but also helpless if he opens a card because he hasn't seen any hot moves to steal

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

looking over some Danielson opponents from 2000 MCW for ideas for future opponents

probably not Kendrick due to several reasons that nerfed the last time he was about to wrestle in AEW (although MJF might get to the point of bringing in guys who think Jews are Lizard People to get the job done on Danielson)

Scott Vick worked once in 2021 tagging with Lodi

Guys like Mike Maverick and Shooter Shultz don't have any cagematch results for the last 20 years.

Seven and Thrasher lost the MCW Southern Tag Team titles to Danielson/Kendrick in 2000. Fertig and Thrasher are still working.

Moving into the 2001 Super 8... Reckless Youth hasn't worked since 2010. I doubt they're gonna bring in Low Ki for a one shot because that would necessitate Low Ki jobbing.

edit: Charlie Haas is still working! he's also 50, so I don't think Charlie Haas is gonna become Mark Briscoe's new partner.

You saying all these names and not mentioning Paul London made me sad. He'd obviously be the best bet, even if they would never come close to matching the Epic Encounter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

overly insider baseball gimmick: a wrestler whose moveset sometimes openly steals moves from matches earlier in the show.. a man who is unstoppable later in cards, but also helpless if he opens a card because he hasn't seen any hot moves to steal

That would have been perfect for Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz. 

• Like 1

Awesome main event as expected. Mark looked great, didn't miss a beat. Excellent performance for his first match on AEW TV. Loved the closing visual with everyone standing on stage behind him, good stuff.

All the matches were pretty good and I liked that they all got a decent amount of time even with 6 matches this week. Darby hasn't been champ long, but already been a hell of a reign. 

• Like 1