DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/25/2023

The Natural

10 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Odds on Cage/Danielson being yet another finalist in the weekly "Best Match" poll?

Danielson is just on another level and that's not taking anything away from Takeshita/Bandido or Brian Cage

Bryan Danielson is the GOAT and his AEW run is one of the greatest runs ever:

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.

Bryan Danielson vs. Wheeler Yuta. AEW Dynamite, 30th March 2022.

Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing, 30th May 2022.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Dynamite, 7th September 2022.

Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Jericho. AEW Dynamite, 14th September 2022.

Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Bandido. AEW Dynamite, 18th January 2023.

Edited by The Natural

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I thought the Bandido match was kind of a mess. They didn’t seem to gel that well together. Shit, I thought Jericho/Bandido was better.

But the Takeshita match fucked pretty hard.

• Like 1

The people who don't like the MJF "Run the gauntlet" gimmick must just ignore the level of awesome we get with each one.  It's the schtick that has given us weekly Danielson matches, Wardlow powerbombing "Big Bill" and got us Nick Gage on live TV with a pizza cutter.  I hope he never steps using it.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

The people who don't like the MJF "Run the gauntlet" gimmick must just ignore the level of awesome we get with each one.  It's the schtick that has given us weekly Danielson matches, Wardlow powerbombing "Big Bill" and got us Nick Gage on live TV with a pizza cutter.  I hope he never steps using it.

That's a good point. That gimmick has given so much, "Wait! He's facing who?!?!" moments in the last couple years.

This week's show is taking place about an hour from me. Closest AEW has come to us. I can't believe I'm not going. Little man is not happy with me, but I can't justify him being out that late on a school night.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

This! I mean, we got a Juvi match last year or the year before, FFS. It's such a great device to 'bring in X outside talent', as is/was the TNT title open with Cody and now Darby.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Log said:

That's a good point. That gimmick has given so much, "Wait! He's facing who?!?!" moments in the last couple years.

This week's show is taking place about an hour from me. Closest AEW has come to us. I can't believe I'm not going. Little man is not happy with me, but I can't justify him being out that late on a school night.

On the other hand I'm in Lexington and I'm taking my boy, but at least we won't have that long drive home. First wrestling live event I've attended since college. I'm facing the hard cam in row B above the floor seating so we might even make it on the TV quite a bit.

• Like 6

So Danielson is just working through the rainbow of wrestling styles yeah?

Takeshita - NJPW style
Bandido - Lucha style
Cage - Hoss/WWE style

Not sure how many matches he has left but we still need a flippy Impact/X Division style guy, a British World of Sport guy and a 70s/80s "punch em in the mouth" Memphis style guy...

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I expect an Angelico match any week now. That seems right up Danielson’s alley.

4 hours ago, Log said:

We need Danielson/Jarrett with JJ in full-on Memphis bullshit mode. Danielson as Lawler might be a Danielson we’ve never seen. 

There are 5 more weeks until Revolution, and I absolutely hope these are two of them - really excellent suggestions. I want these both badly, maybe just as much or more than I want anyone from outside AEW. I've mentioned before, but I've done a total 180 on Jarrett this last month or so, and I think they could have a legitimately fun, really smartly paced match. Angelico, no explanation necessary, that's a no brainer I think at least 5-10 of us have wanted since day one.

As long as we're throwing names out, some other oddball Danielson matches I'd be into, not necessarily part of this gauntlet even:

* AR Fox - psyched to see him getting a shot on a national stage and he's been great so far, and was there live for his first two matches back so am super biased. If they're not gonna run with the trio w Top Flight, he ought to do something with Darby at some point too.

* Chuck Taylor - Trent has had a handful of big singles matches, and of course OC is a titleholder right now (to say nothing of the merch machine that is Danhausen or Statlander's rumored trajectory pre-injury) but I think people forget what Chuck is capable of - they had a pretty good one 100 years ago in (I think?) Chikara IIRC, and IMO getting a nice, semi-(let's say 3/4)-serious in tone singles bout on TV might go a long way for him.

* Any of the HoB really, but most specifically Brody King - I always love when he bullets around for a big boy, I expect Cage this week to be no exception, but I think Brody's got more of a rugged style, they might mesh a bit better

I was only going to give three, but in typing the above, I'll also just throw Hobbs and Wardlow's names out for similar reasons (minus the Brody-specific stuff obviously). The question is: do you run it back with Joe in 2023, or leave the memories alone? The Punk bullshit makes me think do it while you can

15 hours ago, Casey said:

I expect an Angelico match any week now. That seems right up Danielson’s alley.

That just makes me wonder if someway, somehow, we get AEW bringing in ZSJ as the final opponent for Danielson. Or Danielson vs MiSu 2 where at the end MJF makes the grave error of getting in MiSu's face and we end Dynamite with MiSu slapping the shit out of MJF.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That just makes me wonder if someway, somehow, we get AEW bringing in ZSJ as the final opponent for Danielson. Or Danielson vs MiSu 2 where at the end MJF makes the grave error of getting in MiSu's face and we end Dynamite with MiSu slapping the shit out of MJF.

Danielson vs. Suzuki II is one of my most anticipated AEW rematches. MJF making the biggest error of his life slapping Murder Grandpa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

We've only got three more Dynamite Danielson matches, this week vs. Brian Cage and the next two.

I think next week will be Chuck Taylor vs Danielson, with the announcement blowing away the Kentucky crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bryan Danielson is the GOAT and his AEW run is one of the greatest runs ever:

i absolutely agree. Danielson is fucking awesome.

what do you think his worst AEW match was? how about bad matches from his WWE run?

• Like 1