DVDVR Message Board

RIP Jay Briscoe

Matt D

I apparently have a false memory of the Briscoes working the MCW show at Laurel HS in 2000. I swear I remember them working and having their principal or coach as their manager (or similar). But they aren't on the card listed online at wrestling data or cagematch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I apparently have a false memory of the Briscoes working the MCW show at Laurel HS in 2000. I swear I remember them working and having their principal or coach as their manager (or similar). But they aren't on the card listed online at wrestling data or cagematch. 

They talked about that show on Cabanas podcast they were wrestling for ECWA for 6 months then MCW ran a show at their high school as they were attending so of course they wrestled the MCW show and got black balled from ECWA. 

• Like 1

I was going to say, I've known of them as the Briscoes from as far back as they were in HS and skipped their prom to wrestle each other. Don't know why they chose that name, but I always thought it sounded good.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I was going to say, I've known of them as the Briscoes from as far back as they were in HS and skipped their prom to wrestle each other. Don't know why they chose that name, but I always thought it sounded good.

I think someone, I think kettner, gave them the name.  I'm glad Pete mentioned the inferno kid match because Jay seemed to be having too much fun doing the cheap heel spots.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hammerva said:

Man I knew they were loved locally but closing schools?  I mean that is Von Erich adoration for a hometown wrestling superstar 

From the sounds of it he was also the middle school football coach there and the kids are in bad shape. 

• Sad 2

It's also a town of a few thousand people. 

Here's what Jeff wrote on FB after i tagged him. 

Jay and Mark wrestled on two cards at LHS. The first one in 2000 was an ECWA card against the Haas brothers, and it also featured their father as their second, I believe. The second one was in later 2000 for MCW. When I get home, I will look in the Usenet archive to see if there is any further report  I was timekeeper for both. In fact, Mark “the Shark” Shrader and I (and possibly the Briscoes were tossed from ECWA for working at a competitor’s card at what they considered to be an ECWA venue. She only time in my life I was fired from an unpaid job.

• Like 1

Man...So many memories of talking about the Briscoes on mIRC and on the old green board. Fuck. When ROH went to Chicago for Reborn, I went for three reasons, Punk, Joe, and the Briscoes. I think at that time I thought the Briscoes were probably the best tag team in the world because fuck whatever was on WWE, right? And I knew going in that there was no way that the Briscoes would win. It didn't matter though. They were a draw and icons to me even if I'm slightly older than them. I'm glad I got the chance to see Jay and Mark wrestle live.

Also, can you imagine what Jay would have been like as a poster on DVDVR?

Fuck. This has been nearly as hard to handle as Brodie's passing. That picture with them in the van with their kids really got to me. It was very hard driving my own daughter to daycare today and leaving her there at daycare. It was hard saying bye to my older daughter when my wife took her to school today too. It just feels so fucking wrong to be so young and to be taken from your family like that. Too fucking wrong.

• Like 2

Returning to work can be an important part of the healing process after a loss. If nothing else, it gives you something to distract yourself from the crushing grief. But I can’t imagine what it would be like for Mark heading back out on the road without his brother to travel with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Fuck. This has been nearly as hard to handle as Brodie's passing. That picture with them in the van with their kids really got to me. It was very hard driving my own daughter to daycare today and leaving her there at daycare. It was hard saying bye to my older daughter when my wife took her to school today too. It just feels so fucking wrong to be so young and to be taken from your family like that. Too fucking wrong.

There's no question about how great he was as a wrestler. But what's really made me as a fan (especially as a dad of a daughter) is how much he loved his family. In between his Instagram posts about wrestling, he'd post something showing what an awesome dad he was. To me as an adult, that was more impressive and important to me than wrestling. It's heartbreaking seeing this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

Returning to work can be an important part of the healing process after a loss. If nothing else, it gives you something to distract yourself from the crushing grief. But I can’t imagine what it would be like for Mark heading back out on the road without his brother to travel with.

That’s one thing I’ve always admired about the Briscoes. They gut things out no matter what. Since I’ve known them, Mark especially is a guy who loves to gut it out, and work, like when he immediately came back to do that brief moment in the Steen & Generico match. People on here(most that had an axe to grind) were crucifying the booking, and Mark for going out there for an angle.

But this is definitely different for Mark.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

As much as I have thought about his kids, I've thought about Mark. A lot. And even though I have kids of my own and it's thinking about Jay's kids that should get me emotional, it's thinking about Mark that really makes me cry. I have a brother that is much older than me. Like, 16 years older. We never lived in the same house. I grew up as an only child basically. But that thought of having a close brother or sister that's been there your entire life, and not only your entire life, but almost every aspect of your life, that's just suddenly gone is just too painful for words.

I feel like I need to read a book on grieving or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loki said:

There's no question about how great he was as a wrestler. But what's really made me as a fan (especially as a dad of a daughter) is how much he loved his family. In between his Instagram posts about wrestling, he'd post something showing what an awesome dad he was. To me as an adult, that was more impressive and important to me than wrestling. It's heartbreaking seeing this. 

Well, and that's the other thing I keep thinking of. More than any other match, hell, I'm not even really thinking about his matches, but I have constantly thought of that video with him all dolled up for his daughter.

Operating a motor vehicle is an extremely serious privilege that all too many people do not take with the gravity it deserves. I drive for a living, I have been coast to coast and back and everywhere in between. For the sake of all that is good, and the sake of your friends and families, always wear your seat belts and treat driving with the respect and attention deserves. Please. 💔💔💔

• Like 21

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Just to hypothetically book an angle I’d be all for Mark and FTR challenging The Elite for the Trios Championship.

I like the idea except for the fact that a certain person with the first initial C and middle initial M is slotted to be in that position according to rumors and man if you thought Punk got heat the last time he was in AEW.