DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE- 1/18/2023!

DEAN

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I think I liked Bryan/Bandido more as well because Bryan got to do some stuff he wouldn’t normally do, whereas Danielson/Takeshita was more them throwing their stuff at each other and seeing who broke first (which I also loved). I probably got more caught up in Bryan/Takeshita because of my major Lard Lad fandom and the joy of seeing him elevated, but Bryan/Bandido reminded me of Eddy vs Benoit.

Well it's awesome that he can have a perfect Puroresu style match with a great purveyor of Strong Style and the NEXT WEEK have a great Lucha Libre mat match with a guy who turned down the WWE because he didn't want to move his children from Mexico.  What a fucking awesome run.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Imagine if Bryan had stayed in WWE.

Yes. We'd have missed Danielson vs. Omega (still the best match in AEW history), Danielson vs. Page, Danielson vs. Suzuki, Danielson vs. Bandido, Danielson vs. Takeshita and Danielson vs. Kingston.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Well it's awesome that he can have a perfect Puroresu style match with a great purveyor of Strong Style and the NEXT WEEK have a great Lucha Libre mat match with a guy who turned down the WWE because he didn't want to move his children from Mexico.  What a fucking awesome run.

Bryan Danielson can truly do it all: Every match style, face, heel, comedy, underdog, commentator, authority figure, promos.

• Like 5

It’s funny that the comedy and shenanigans finally sort of detracted from what could have been another great OC match. It never really hit a stride.

I’m glad Top Flight got the big win but I’m pretty annoyed that the Bucks got to dominate so much and make it seem like a fluke rather than an earned win. The powerbomb/nosedive (or whatever) combo was boss. Hoping Dante was just selling and didn’t actually hurt his knee on the jump to the floor/superkick.

Didn’t hear a lick of Hangman’s promo, sound was awful.

Starks looked good and got to show a lot of character. Hager served his role well. That’s about all I have to say about that.

Bryan-Bandido was amazing, spoke about it above. Nice change of pace for Bryan, elevated Bandido. Loved the fighting over the Romero special. Also both of them are strong and fit AF, some crazy core strength moves.

MJF stunk it up again, although I missed some parts. Yawn.

Brian Cage just isn’t for me and I’m not looking forward to that match.

Couldn’t hear most of the Saraya-Toni-Shida backstage, but it definitely was telegraphing the heel turn. Toni wrestled the match heel, which works since Willow is now a solid fan favorite baby face, and Toni really put her over. Post-match sealed the deal, although I half expected Ruby to turn as well. What will probably happen is a tease of another “outsider” for everyone to expect Mone, only for it to be Ruby turning...and then Mone shows up as the fourth.

Main event was a lot of fun. Darby is so gifted at selling a body part. Lots of innovative offense and big moves. I would enjoy more of Kushida, and it’s also nice when Darby isn’t having to totally be David fighting underneath against Goliath but instead gets to show some mat skills.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Oh yeah OC/Lethal was also predictably very good. No one has mentioned it yet. I think that is a major kudos to OC in that he’s so consistently good at what he does. 

Yeah, great call man. The whole segment was great - not just the match itself, but the little details in the gaga: Danhausen in the red security shirt, the gigantic beers, Trent never spilling the popcorn even when goozled. I never, ever, ever want them to break up.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Did nobody else on the entire internet read the end of that Hangman/Renee segment as a CM Punk tease? Just a little bit?

I thought more getting right with The Elite or The Dark Order before I thought of Punk.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Oh yeah OC/Lethal was also predictably very good. No one has mentioned it yet. I think that is a major kudos to OC in that he’s so consistently good at what he does. 

Oh, yeah, Orange is fantastic and I feel years from now people will need to study him more to find ways to balance a ridiculous gimmick with damn good wrestling.  It was pretty satisfying to tell him something along those lines and he had a huge smile on his face.  The gaga in the match is ridiculous and led to a humorous review from Dean.  But honestly with Jay's death I needed that gaga to take the edge off and just enjoy myself.  I'm sure we'll be crying once we see the post-Rampage presentation so for now I'll go for a laugh.  Plus while I'm woefully behind on Rampage from what I understand this worked anyway with the ridiculous nature of their feud.  I don't care for Lethal or Jarrett but even I couldn't help but appreciate their role in all this.

And hey if that's not your deal then you can't go wrong with a lovely tag match, Darby/Kushida and Danielson/Bandido which fucking rocked my world.  Can't wait to see the might international feed for that one.  As for Saraya and Toni's heel turn I'm all for that leading to Jamie and Britt being themselves but leaning hard into the "AEW Originals" camp.  It could lead to some interesting results even if these type of stories are beyond played out.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I’m glad Top Flight got the big win but I’m pretty annoyed that the Bucks got to dominate so much and make it seem like a fluke rather than an earned win.

I kinda had that thought too, but then I thought about how that was pretty much the story of their first match in Jacksonville when TF debuted (I think? Maybe shortly thereafter) and I think I'm going to forgive it for now because I could see it building into something more based on that, either in the tag division once they wrap up with Kenny, or even in a handful of trios with AR Fox - now that the Death Triangle issue is done, they'd be great challengers for The Elite to get the better of until they are ready to drop the titles (hopefully to House of Black)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I kinda had that thought too, but then I thought about how that was pretty much the story of their first match in Jacksonville when TF debuted (I think? Maybe shortly thereafter) and I think I'm going to forgive it for now because I could see it building into something more based on that, either in the tag division once they wrap up with Kenny, or even in a handful of trios with AR Fox - now that the Death Triangle issue is done, they'd be great challengers for The Elite to get the better of until they are ready to drop the titles (hopefully to House of Black)

Thing is, didn’t Top Flight have a more competitive match with the Bucks just a couple of months ago? Not to mention having just gone blow for blow with Mox and Danielson and Mox and Claudio. All that build deserved a match where they finally get to look like equals rather than just being able to seize a flash pin.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Thing is, didn’t Top Flight have a more competitive match with the Bucks just a couple of months ago? Not to mention having just gone blow for blow with Mox and Danielson and Mox and Claudio. All that build deserved a match where they finally get to look like equals rather than just being able to seize a flash pin.

Oops, thanks for the reminder. So yeah, you make a good point then - they should've definitely come a little closer in light of that (regardless of whether or not they're planning to parlay it into something more).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I'm thinking it's recency bias.  I hope they put off the Iron Match until GRAPPLE IN THE CASTLE 2026 so Danielson has a match every week for three years.

In those three years, give me Danielson vs Suzuki II

vs Samoa Joe

vs Nick Gage

vs Pineapple Pete

vs a bear

and more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Which match was better, Danielson/Takeshita or Danielson/Bandido? I liked Bryan/Bandido more.

I def liked the Takeshita match better but they are my two favorite young wrestlers in aew and they need all the belts. This is a nice start. 

• Like 4

Bryan/Bandido was amazing. Bandido keeps on killing it every time he shows up and has me wanting more of him on Dynamite often. He looked excellent tonight. I loved the delayed vertical spot, super impressive.

I'm surprised Saraya turned heel so soon after her debut, considering the monster pop she got then, but it should be interesting. Orange/Lethal and Bucks/Flight were both fun.

Really good main event. Kushida looked awesome and it was cool for this to get the main event spot. The armbar catch counter on the outside was epic. Dug the counters leading in to the finish, great stuff from both. Darby's reign is killer already.

• Like 3

I quite liked the MJF/Embassy segment. At least they are giving something for Cage to do on TV for a couple weeks, even if it's just to lose to Bryan Danielson. It did at least attempt to show that Cage is a legit threat, and Prince Nana is not a real Ghanaian prince. 

Not sure where they are going with the whole Acclaimed/Gunns family therapy thing, but i do think the Gunn Club is finally starting to come into their own in all of this. The angle with the Gunns, Billy, and Acclaimed elevated Acclaimed and now they are tag champs, and it's elevated Gunns to being a top tag team on the roster now.

Bandido/Danielson was a lot of fun.

Sort of a come down after last week's but that's to be expected. 

I know some people are upset they didn't make this a tribute show, but I think that was the right call. I think they did enough to pay tribute to Jay Briscoe last night, and truthfully, I am more concerned about his daughters and family right now.  Last night did not feel like the appropriate time for a 10-bell salute. Granted, I'm aware they did film a tribute ROH show for Jay Briscoe afterwards. But I think doing a separate show that fans will be able to watch for free, separate from Dynamite, is a much better way to do it.

• Like 3

What a bunch of matches again this week! The Danielson saga continues and next week will be like straight from my wishlist with Brian Cage. Too bad Buddy Murphy being one of the opponents makes less than zero sense right now. Yay, Bandido, anyway! MJF tries to act tough now, all of a sudden?

Starks going through JAS is going to lead to a rematch (gimmick?) with Jericho at Revolution, no? It's just that he already won. I hope he won't lose that one!

Yeah, OC keeps defending the title. I like the chances of whoever starts shit with him a day before Revolution to get the PPV match. The guy must be spent at that point.

I wonder if Sting will put someone over before his contract is up? Would seem like a nice thing to do.

What would happen if OC would answer Darby's open challenge just so he could defend HIS title yet again?

Gunn family therapy. What could go wrong?

Willie Mack vs Brian Cage on Rampage should be good considering how competitive the Elevation match was. Also, that's where we'll see if Action Adretti is a one hit wonder, kinda like Fozzy?

Oh, and Top Flight should definitely face Private Party now to see which of the Young Buck upsetting high flyer teams is the better one!

• Like 3