DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

"I've worked countless bears in territories all over the world over the years, all of whom went out of their way to thank me afterwards for a great match, and allowing them to get home safely to their bear family. That was always something I took great pride in. You walk into any locker room, and you look up on the wall, and no matter which bear your name is listed next to, you know what you're going to get. 

I don't think any wrestler could say the same if they saw their name next to Bill Goldberg at the Summerslam for example"

• Like 2
  • Haha 14
  • Sad 1

Just now, Goitre said:

I used to ask dad to buy me the WWE magazine

Shit dude, that's nothing. When I was 10 I made my dad buy me a copy of Fraggle Rock magazine bc I had a crush on the one hippie, trippy muppet.

That he did that for me and did not enroll me in military school is a credit to that late great man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

53 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

We got 20+ years with WWE having what was basically a wrestling monopoly, PLEASE let somebody buy it who isn't TK or his dad. Y'all are wild, talking about this. 

I have been saying this,  I don't think it's likely anyway but it's amazing how many  people entertain the thought. I like AEW and I think TK has been booking really well recently but As you stated,  why would anyone want Wrestling to be monopolized again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I have been saying this,  I don't think it's likely anyway but it's amazing how many  people entertain the thought. I like AEW and I think TK has been booking really well recently but As you stated,  why would anyone want Wrestling to be monopolized again.

Because old wrestling is astoundingly better than new wrestling and there's only one person in the world who can realistically give us years of Omni footage:

Inside WWE's massive video vault | WWE

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Well I don't want a monopoly I would hope that WWE ends up being sold to someone who knows what they are doing and it isn't just turned in "content" for disney plus or something 

I have to think that if the Khans did buy WWE, Tony would be smart enough to just let HHH continue doing whatever. Ratings and ticket sales were up, they're mind-blowingly profitable; don't mess with success. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ziggy said:

If Amazon buys them ,Would Alexa be the Anonymous General Manager of RAW

Welcome to the 2030 Wrestling Draft.

Representing WWE its Alexa.

Representing AEW it’s Siri

…and representing Impact wrestling, it’s Cortana!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

…and representing Impact wrestling, it’s Cortana!

Is this because no matter what anyone does you can't ever seem to just uninstall the damn thing?

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

https://twitter.com/McCannSportsLaw/status/1615353442876137472?t=tuCxjB3-LFFUc5MK1Pgv-g&s=19

Detroit’s Police and Fire Retirement System sues WWE executive chairman Vince McMahon, arguing, as stockholders, he has broken the law in regaining control of WWE's board and changing company rules so he effectively has final say. Could complicate a sale.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dog said:

I have to think that if the Khans did buy WWE, Tony would be smart enough to just let HHH continue doing whatever. Ratings and ticket sales were up, they're mind-blowingly profitable; don't mess with success. 

And in a bizarro world where WWE wins up buying AEW, I would love them to keep Tony around so they could do a program where he has access to the tape library for a curated show like "Toon In With Me" where he randomly picks matches and does intros/outros for them.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Okay. So this is a shareholder's suit. Anytime there's a major shake-up at a company or the like, a bunch of these get filed. When I wrote about the energy industry, we wouldn't even write about these 99.9% of the time. They're sort of a frivolous lawsuit similar to a class action lawsuit. In most of these suits, one or two investors file against the company's board of directors or the company itself and they hope beyond hope they'll get a settlement for whatever they're alleging. Usually, these get buried in the Delaware courts and they get withdrawn. 

I am by no means a legal expert. (I did write for one of the big legal database daily newsletters for a while and it sucked.) However, there are some things that stand out to me:

1) The board before Vince's move said unanimously they did not want him to return and offered him a chance to guide the sale without making any governing decisions. Board members resigned in protest. Stephanie stepped down as CEO for "family reasons" but we can all see through that. 

2) I keep harping on how the WWE having to restate its corporate earnings because of Vince and a looming SEC look at the books is a huge deal. This is exactly why. There's already some other similar litigation about this. Restating earnings is telling the public and federal regulators "Hey, we lied about how much money we made." The overall amount of the restatements weren't significant to the overall health of the company (and insurance likely picked up a lot of the tab, and they're squabbling about that.) But man is it an awful look to have to restate your earnings because the CEO used the company checkbook to bribe women he had improper relationships with. 

3) The plaintiff is a public pension system. My day job is literally writing about pension systems. From my experience, pension systems do not file these types of suits. They cost money to hire attorneys and the like, and money is not something that small pension systems like the Detroit Police & Firefighters don't have a lot of. That to me really stands out as really important (and it's something I might actually write about.) I haven't looked at their lawsuit yet and won't have time today. Again -- not an expert fully on this, but I don't remember too many pension funds filing a wing-and-a-prayer suit. 

So, aside from this going nowhere, what COULD happen from this?

The WWE would likely end up settling the lawsuit if it has legs. Tesla had to do this a while ago when Elon Musk bought Solar City and it was a side deal double dip. Steve Wynn of Wynn Resorts had to pay $40 million for sexual harassment stuff. Wells Fargo and Equifax maid big settlements for their general horrible exploitation of consumers. 

I have no idea what a potential settlement could look like financially if this has any legs. And what will happen if there is a settlement is the company has insurance to handle these types of settlements and I'd imagine Vince has his own insurances, too. 

Again - this is not my wheelhouse, aside from writing about entities like the plaintiff. This really stands out to me as something that could go somewhere but what do I know. I wish we had a corporate lawyer former tape trader on here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

And I'm sure there are plenty of pension systems also invested in WWE. Most of this will come indirectly since pension systems farm out a lot of their investments to different managers or mutual funds who pick and choose investments and will include WWE shares. Some of the systems will buy some stocks directly but most use third-party managers they hire. It will be interesting to see if any others join.

Yeah, part of me thinks he just goes full supervillain and comes out Monday for Raw XXX saying that everyone in the crowd is his real family and he raised all of them (us) and created their modern mythology and taught them right from wrong more so than their parents over the last four decades. I mean, that's the play, right? Who needs Steph.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, part of me thinks he just goes full supervillain and comes out Monday for Raw XXX saying that everyone in the crowd is his real family and he raised all of them (us) and created their modern mythology and taught them right from wrong more so than their parents over the last four decades. I mean, that's the play, right? Who needs Steph.

That or he comes out in Saudi garb looking like Scandar Akbar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2