DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

4) Speaking of TV Deals, I'm pretty sure it's known that Tony's deal with WBD is that he can't put a wrestling on any network not owned by WBD.  It's pretty much the reason RoH is going to YouTube, as has been much talked about here.  If there's a TV deal in place and AEW stays on WBD, yeah, he can't run WWE if they're on another network, and locked down for 5-6 years.  

...what if the Khans partner with WBD to buy WWE

32 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Speaking of TV Deals, I'm pretty sure it's known that Tony's deal with WBD is that he can't put a wrestling on any network not owned by WBD.  It's pretty much the reason RoH is going to YouTube, as has been much talked about here. 

i don't think that's actually accurate. It sounded like Tony CHOSE not to shop ROH around to other networks, rather than being unable to do so. He decided to play it safe so as to not piss off WB/D, which was probably a smart move with tv negotiations coming up later this year. But since ROH is a legally separate company, he wasn't barred from shopping it around

• Like 1

Barron’s essentially invented financial journalism. They are one of the best outlets in the world. They won’t break the news because they are a weekly outlet better with insights and analysis whereas their sister publication Wall Street Journal is the news outlet. But if it is in Barron’s I believe it. They are beyond plugged in and have many avenues to get the story. 

As far as the Khans: If you have NFL Owner money, you might not have enough money to buy the WWE by yourself, but you have an incredible amount of connections and networks and legitimacy to get partners to be a minority shareholder. There are all kinds of entities that would be interested in doing that. On top of owning a profitable company with intellectual property, you also get a connection with a NFL owner - a guy with a seat at the table of the most powerful sports league in America and all that may come from that. 

The Khans would need to find a TV deal and streaming rights. Who knows what they could put together for it and AEW, but they have all of the same options the WWE currently does in addition to a buzz worthy property of their own. (There is no way of knowing if AEW is profitable since its books are closed.)

I think a Kahn and partners deal is just as legitimate as anyone else. I still think the front runner is Comcast but getting partners is definitely possible.

Also, obviously, that would be an epic ending to WWE: The wrestling promotion that became the biggest dog in the yard and bought out all of its rivals along the way (including the only one that came close to challenging it) ending its life as we knew it by being bought by the dad of the owner of its upstart rival.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don't know if I saw this posted in here, but part of Axios' story from earlier says both Stephanie and Hunter expressed opposition to the sale:

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/12/wwe-mcmahon-return-sale?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial

Why wouldn't they? And that's what I meant earlier by tug of war even though clearly Vince has ALL the leverage. I really do believe Paul at the very least had this long term vision that would never be enacted or fully play out unless Vince is gone. Then, boom, something happens where Vince is out of the picture and is finally out of creative control (the most important component). Paul slid in. As soon it became apparent that this was going in a direction Vince didn't intend, the ultimate power play got pulled to slide Paul's ass right back on out. 

That's why I didn't buy Vince would be running WWE from afar post financial fuckery/impending investigation like Lucky Luciano or John Gotti running the mafia from prison. I don't feel Steph or Paul's relationship with Vince is such that they will allow him to do that on top of it being absolutely moronic on their part.

• Like 2

So if Tony Khan hypothetically bought WWE...would he fold AEW and start running WWE? Or would he fold WWE and keep running AEW?

For legal reasons the latter is probably the best route - you can use the IP ("WrestleMania", "Royal Rumble", "War Games", etc.) while shielding the Khan family from any legal action directed at WWE for its past misdeeds.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Red King said:

1) The company is officially for sale and they have made big hires around that fact. If you want to know how serious it is: Google the law firm they hired and see some of their alumni. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, former AG William Barr and Ken Starr are some of their more well-known names. You don’t hire names like that unless you are very serious about selling. Firms like that won’t let you hire them unless you are serious. (Also, I do not think it an accident they hired a law firm that produced a lot of Trump goons, but Kirkland and Ellis is a huge, major league law firm.)  In other words: Vince did not engineer this in order to come back and take over creative. He could have just done that. He is absolutely selling.

2) Now we can see where Endeavor might be in the lead. Look at who Thr Raine Group represented as a financial advisor for sales and acquisitions in the past… Endeavor shows up quite a bit. 

The release from the WWE is an example of the types of things they have to disclose since they are a public company and have to let all investors know. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Red King said:

I like to imagine Vince McMahon actually saying this:
"Vince McMahon, WWE’s Founder and Executive Chairman said, “WWE’s upcoming media rights cycle will take place amid a rapidly evolving media and entertainment landscape, and we believe exploring our strategic alternatives at this critical juncture will enable WWE to fully capitalize on the significant value of our intellectual property. I am highly confident that our outstanding Directors, outside advisors and executive team will provide valuable expertise and counsel to help guide the Company through this important process while our management team and employee base continue to deliver results and content our fans love.”

There is no way he actually said this without the words: 'Grapefruits', 'Testicular fortitude', 'whatamanoovurrr' or 'You're Fired' being involved. Seriously, read that paragraph and imagine it coming directly from Vince's mouth...you can't do it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Has Matress Mack won enough from his gamblings yet? I know he's got ties to the WWE with WMX7.

Bruce going from having a job for life under the current regime to Bruce having a job for life under the new regime, oh boy. Some weirdo fans out there might prefer the Saudis. 

23 minutes ago, caley said:

I like to imagine Vince McMahon actually saying this:
"Vince McMahon, WWE’s Founder and Executive Chairman said, “WWE’s upcoming media rights cycle will take place amid a rapidly evolving media and entertainment landscape, and we believe exploring our strategic alternatives at this critical juncture will enable WWE to fully capitalize on the significant value of our intellectual property. I am highly confident that our outstanding Directors, outside advisors and executive team will provide valuable expertise and counsel to help guide the Company through this important process while our management team and employee base continue to deliver results and content our fans love.”

There is no way he actually said this without the words: 'Grapefruits', 'Testicular fortitude', 'whatamanoovurrr' or 'You're Fired' being involved. Seriously, read that paragraph and imagine it coming directly from Vince's mouth...you can't do it.  

What he actually said:

Spoiler

"Those fucking college boy motherfuckers have turned this whole goddamn business into monkey piss well I've still got the biggest bucket and no one AND I MEAN NO ONE pisses more than me! Between my idiot kids and that shithead swamee or whatever he is it will take awhile for the monkey's to find a straw and that gives me time to leave a big old North Carolina log in there for them. Now someone type that into lawyer and put it out on Tout or wherever and get me Goldberg!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

In other words: Vince did not engineer this in order to come back and take over creative. He could have just done that. He is absolutely selling.

I hear you. But there is still the point that this could have all happened very easily(and less messy) without him coming back as top dog. 

Man, now all I can think about is the promo (with the ludicrous "YOU VIOLATED ME, AUSTIN! YOU VIOLATED ME!....THAT DAMN OPEN HOSPITAL GOWN" line) the Raw before Judgment Day 1998. The backhalf of that promo may be the best heel promo in wrestling history. If not, it's in the top five.

If Vince isn't in these meetings using the exact same intonation and rhythm while sitting in a wheelchair he doesn't need, I won't nothing more to do with pro wrestling anymore.