DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

21 hours ago, Octopus said:

The beginning of this week’s ep of Dax was super awkward with the Roaaddog talk (yes, Toaddog is a douche) and it gets into Roaddog’s podcast buddy, Kasio (?), snarky jab at Dax. Matt Koon tries to defend Kasio because they’re friends and it’s very uncomfortable.

Where can I find the most recent comments 'Brian' made that led to Dax's response? What did Koon's buddy post or say on Dax?

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Where can I find the most recent comments 'Brian' made that led to Dax's response? What did Koon's buddy post or say on Dax?

It was on Road Dogg’s podcast. They’ve been going back and forth now. I’m going off of what Dax said he said, I’m likely not going to listen to a Road Dogg podcast. So it could be skewed from what the actual quote was. But basically, “I hope you shook Imperium’s hands” or something like that to Road Dogg. A joke about Dax having issue with the Kliq not shaking his and Cash’s hand after getting jobbed out to them. A sign of respect that Dax believes in that Road Dogg made fun of saying he doesn’t shake people’s hands or owe anyone that jobs to him anything, etc. A lot of back and forth with those two, but Koon’s buddy more so said that line mockingly and Dax was irritated because he’s not in the business and has never met him but he’s being a smart ass.
Seems like a smaller thing in a series of back and forth between a douche and a hot head that was made more uncomfortable by Matt Koon trying to say his friend didn’t mean it mockingly and Dax saying it clearly was but “let’s agree to disagree.” Matt Koon was pretty awkward trying to say his friend is a good guy and Conrad trusts him (which was a weird unnecessary addition). Dax says if he meets him they’ll either have words or talk it out over tequila. Then Matt Koon awkwardly says that his friend didn’t choose to be with Road Dogg but was assigned it and he’s sure if they met he’d like Dax. It’s a somewhat short moment that was awkward enough that it could have been shorter but Matt Koon kept trying to twist it as not being a smart ass. Dax said he respects that he’s sticking up for his friend but clearly it was a slight at him.
My thing with this is that it was pretty much said or implied before that they’re gonna be done responding to Road Dogg but every week we have to spend time on this. Hopefully after this week it’ll be done. Low key, I stopped listening (also, I guess this one is a watch along and I’m not interested in that right now). The fact that I’ve heard the name and now am typing Road Dogg this many times really bums me out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

It was on Road Dogg’s podcast. They’ve been going back and forth now. I’m going off of what Dax said he said, I’m likely not going to listen to a Road Dogg podcast. So it could be skewed from what the actual quote was. But basically, “I hope you shook Imperium’s hands” or something like that to Road Dogg. A joke about Dax having issue with the Kliq not shaking his and Cash’s hand after getting jobbed out to them. A sign of respect that Dax believes in that Road Dogg made fun of saying he doesn’t shake people’s hands or owe anyone that jobs to him anything, etc. A lot of back and forth with those two, but Koon’s buddy more so said that line mockingly and Dax was irritated because he’s not in the business and has never met him but he’s being a smart ass.
Seems like a smaller thing in a series of back and forth between a douche and a hot head that was made more uncomfortable by Matt Koon trying to say his friend didn’t mean it mockingly and Dax saying it clearly was but “let’s agree to disagree.” Matt Koon was pretty awkward trying to say his friend is a good guy and Conrad trusts him (which was a weird unnecessary addition). Dax says if he meets him they’ll either have words or talk it out over tequila. Then Matt Koon awkwardly says that his friend didn’t choose to be with Road Dogg but was assigned it and he’s sure if they met he’d like Dax. It’s a somewhat short moment that was awkward enough that it could have been shorter but Matt Koon kept trying to twist it as not being a smart ass. Dax said he respects that he’s sticking up for his friend but clearly it was a slight at him.
My thing with this is that it was pretty much said or implied before that they’re gonna be done responding to Road Dogg but every week we have to spend time on this. Hopefully after this week it’ll be done. Low key, I stopped listening (also, I guess this one is a watch along and I’m not interested in that right now). The fact that I’ve heard the name and now am typing Road Dogg this many times really bums me out. 

Dax seems like he needs to just let it go. Not everyone will love him, or want a handshake for a job well done. Sometimes in life you just need to take the paycheck, and be happy. Or move onto another job, and forget the previous one and their BS (the fact he won’t suggests to me he’s not any happier in AEW, and maybe he’s the problem not everyone else. Which fits with who he’s sided with during the Elite feud too).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Dax seems like he needs to just let it go. Not everyone will love him, or want a handshake for a job well done. Sometimes in life you just need to take the paycheck, and be happy. Or move onto another job, and forget the previous one and their BS (the fact he won’t suggests to me he’s not any happier in AEW, and maybe he’s the problem not everyone else. Which fits with who he’s sided with during the Elite feud too).

Yeah, seems easy to piss him off. It doesn’t help having a platform where the cohost is having a segment of each show bringing up someone shit talking you. Then ending with they won’t bring it up again, only for next week for him to bring up new stuff.

I think within context the handshake thing was smaller part of everything. He is more mad that Road Dogg (while in a writer (?) at Smackdown) was tweeting that FTR should never make it to the main roster. Which leads to preventing them from making more money for their families, etc. A lot of this spins from that and keeps building to all other ways they’ve irritated each other.

At the end of it, I do agree with you. He seems like a hot head that will address when he feels slighted. Road Dogg seems like a douche. That’s a bad mix. 

Eight Armed Chair Psychologist, Dr Octopus: I have two examples. “Sam” and I.

“Sam” - I liked “Sam” and we became friends. Very pleasant movie discussions and we always had different opinions on Cinema but the conversations were good that it was a lot of fun to see other perspectives. He was very much a moralist though. If anything rubbed him the wrong way he had no problem addressing it. It was less fearless and more ignorance of other’s feelings of always being confronted. Even small things like writing up a print order wrong would lead him to marching across the store to almost yell at someone. It was unnecessary snd he’s grown as a person since then. He couldn’t let things go to the point of some people saying he was mean.

Me - I was a hot head for a bit. Basically, there were a few douchebags that everyone hated at my work that would be petty and condescending. I called them out when they crossed a line and we’d butt heads. The issue came was it damaged my reputation that I was a hot head. And I was. I could be patient with customers and chill in most situations, but I’d go off the handle at certain pricks. I had to learn to just let things be and choose my battles.

If “Sam” and I had a baby, it would be Dax.

EDIT: I should say, I’m not calling him a baby. Using that as a way to combine the two personalities. Please don’t beat me up, Dax.

He has been open about his mental health. I can very much relate to him in certain aspects which is why I like the podcast and cheer him as a person.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Octopus said:

To be clear, I knew of Roadie's comments, the backstory all the way to the Renee interview, etc. That said, for those curious and unaware/interested, you've nicely outlined much of the situation. I will say, I felt similiarily about not wanting to listen to the Roadie podcast, but decided being invested enough and not hearing both sides would lead to an unfair conclusion. Especially considering, as much as I really dig Dax's podcast, he's clearly a man with a massive ego, loose lips, and tremendous difficulty empathizing with alternate points of view. Clearly there's a deep insecurity within the former 'Scott Dawson'. So listening to Roadie's initial commentary on Dax was a significant addition to this story. Ultimately, yeah Dog was snarky, but I think he has some valid points, and really wasn't anywhere near as nasty as the Matt Koon/Dax response had me believing. My feelings now are, yeah, no surprise, the WWE booking at Raw 25 was awful and ridiculous. And sure they should have had a good handshake following, but I'm sure niceties are missed often and bad politics run rampant, and it's not really a great reason to air your butthurt feelings and then get further butthurt when there's a fair response. Entertainment aside, Dax is being a little petty here. I say that as a huge Dax Harwood fan/supporter and barely ever a Brian James fan. Going by what we know I find it kinda difficult to believe that his tirade on Shawn Michaels wasn't misconstrude as well. Maybe not, but I'm not convinced Dax is a reliable narrator on personal matters as much as he is on breaking down matches and angles.

To my original question, does anybody know what or where (which episode, and where on the timeline) specifically Roadie replied to the last Dax commentary that led to this week's?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

32 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I think within context the handshake thing was smaller part of everything. He is more mad that Road Dogg (while in a writer (?) at Smackdown) was tweeting that FTR should never make it to the main roster. Which leads to preventing them from making more money for their families, etc. A lot of this spins from that and keeps building to all other ways they’ve irritated each other.

This point surrounding the tweet, from the basic understanding I have here, seems like an absolutely fair thing to call out. In a lot of ways I have Pro Wrestling and Vince McMahon to thank for expanding my consciousness on the topic of 'Abuse of Power'. 

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I would suggest an everyone just skip over Podcast Wars in Dax’s podcast and get to his incredible breakdown of The Revival vs. DIY from Takeover:Brooklyn. Absolutely incredible.

I’m glad you said this. I was pretty uncomfortable and turned it off before the obvious good parts. I’ll pick up where I left off.

14 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I would suggest an everyone just skip over Podcast Wars in Dax’s podcast and get to his incredible breakdown of The Revival vs. DIY from Takeover:Brooklyn. Absolutely incredible.

Yeah the breakdown was incredible. Dax is kind of like Bret (surprise, surprise) to me where the dude obviously takes things way too seriously and personally, but damn that dude knows his wrestling 

On 2/4/2023 at 1:30 PM, AxB said:

Isn't shaking hands and thanking your opponents for the match pretty much mandatory under wrestling etiquette? 

I recently got Fight Network as part of my cable package, and there's a great clip/commercial they've been airing of RJ City talking about how he finds it weird that it's a noted, emphasized part of wrestling etiquette to shake everyone's hand and introduce yourself in the dressing room... 'You mean, like a normal fucking person?'

• Like 2

It's interesting to see a lot of that etiquette change as a new generation of wrestlers become the veterans. I think a lot of that stuff like the handshakes, etc. comes from a time when being a pro wrestler was like joining a club. You were in on the secret. Because of that, a lot of rituals and traditions pop up to "weed out" those who aren't in the know. Now, it's all out there and being a pro wrestler is a job. I think most wrestlers now view it that way. They may be appreciative of their chance, but it doesn't seem to have as much of that "club" mentality as it used to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Log said:

It's interesting to see a lot of that etiquette change as a new generation of wrestlers become the veterans. I think a lot of that stuff like the handshakes, etc. comes from a time when being a pro wrestler was like joining a club. You were in on the secret. Because of that, a lot of rituals and traditions pop up to "weed out" those who aren't in the know. Now, it's all out there and being a pro wrestler is a job. I think most wrestlers now view it that way. They may be appreciative of their chance, but it doesn't seem to have as much of that "club" mentality as it used to.

Great summarization, I think you're completely on point with regard to the lower bar to entry/lack of club mentality. When I was younger, I think that kind of fraternity aspect was part of what really attracted me to 'how the sausage is made.' I loved (and still love) reading the stories of that weeding out process that happened in places like Verne's barn or Stu's dungeon (though I'm certain it wasn't quite as fun to live through).  You can see from my avatar I love old mob movies, it's the same attraction in a lot of ways - an 'in plain sight' subcultural underbelly, where they've got their own set of rules/customs, speaking (basically) their own language, the obvious 'Omerta/kay fabe' parallel. Good stuff.

• Like 2