DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2023

Elsalvajeloco

dvRr6dAn1HGoGFZYpeGW1Iuy328.jpg?d=360x54

Davis vs. Garcia 
January 7, 2023
Washington, D.C. (Capital One Arena)

WBA World Lightweight Championship: Gervonta Davis (134© vs. Hector Garcia (134) (third defense) - Davis, TKO (corner retirement), R9 (0:13)
Interim IBF Welterweight Championship: Jaron Ennis (145.6) vs. Karen Chukhadzhyan (146.2) - Ennis, DEC (unanimous)
Rashidi Ellis (146.2) vs. Roiman Villa (145.8) - Villa, DEC (majority)
Demetrius Andrade (167) vs. Demond Nicholson (167.3) - Andrade, DEC (unanimous)

YouTube/Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Vito Mielnicki Jr. (153.2) vs. Omar Rosales (152.8) - Mielnicki Jr., TKO (corner stoppage), R4 (0:26)
Brandun Lee (141.4) vs. Diego Gonzalo Luque (141.2) - Lee, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (2:55)
Travon Marshall (149.8) vs. Shawn West (151.2) - Marshall, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (0:48)
Keeshawn Williams (146.2) vs. Gustavo David Vittori (145.6) - Williams, DEC (unanimous)
Lamont Peterson (141.6) vs. Michael Odhiambo (140.2) - Odhiambo, TKO (corner stoppage), R4 (2:05)
Kyrone Davis (163.8) vs. Cristian Fabian Rios (164.4) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Jalil Hackett (156.2) vs. Joel Guevara (155.8) - Hackett, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (2:11)
Mia Ellis (128.2) vs. Karen Dulin (129.8) - Ellis, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:58)

48 minutes ago, waffle said:

That was a fun fight. Tank gets hit quite a bit, wonder if Ryan's power will be enough to hurt him. 

I am not sure if it's fighting down to the level of his opponent (although Isaac Cruz is far from a bum), but Tank basically takes the first third of the fight off and then wants to mix it up in the middle of the fight just so he can get a stoppage off one big shot. With Ryan Garcia, I dunno if he can just simply do that. I am not the biggest Ryan Garcia fan, but I believe he can get Tank offscript.

Artur Beterbiev and Anthony Yarde had a pretty damn entertaining scrap. Even though he got stopped, I was honestly more impressed with Yarde. He managed to make Beterbiev look like an old man in certain spots of the fights to the point where Beterbiev looked spent. Beterbiev finally landed the finishing blow, but Yarde made him earn it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who missed it, Anthony Joshua had either the most impressive unimpressive performance or the most unimpressive impressive performance in heavyweight boxing history yesterday against Jermaine Franklin. Cannot decide yet which it was.

25 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Joshua did what he had to do. Just looked like he would rather be doing something else

On one front he did...on the other not so much. Hearn basically had the tell the truth and admit Joshua didn't look anywhere close to being worthy of fighting Fury (or even Wilder which is kinda crazy). That's hilarious on two levels. First level, Hearn couldn't even hype up that performance and he's hyped up some stinkers from his stable. Second level, Fury did all that shit to not fight Usyk so he can get Joshua only for Joshua to beat Franklin and not blow him out. So now Fury is on...what? Possible temporary retirement #3?

I saw someone (may have been Hearn) talk about him fighting Otto Wallin. If he didn't look good against a much shorter fighter with no power, I am not sure he looks much better against taller and rangier guy with no power who's a proven tough out. 

He should just fight Dillian Whyte, who seems to find creative ways to lose.

18 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Between Fury, Joshua, Whyte, Joyce, Dubois and Wardley there's enough domestic UK fights to be made to fill up a couple of years on the fight calendar 

Unfortunately, between Boxxer, Queensbury, and Matchroom, the only thing getting filled up is the cache of bluffing and tuneup fights which end being the tuneup for the next tuneup fight.

11 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

The way Fundora fights you figured someone was turning his lights out. I figured it wouldn't be until he fought Charlo. That was a couple clubbering shots

Hell, I am surprised they even decided to showcase him the last year or so. He's an okay fighter, but as a prospect, I didn't see how being a half foot taller than everyone he fights something that called for multiple Showtime main events.

Hope folks didn't put much in that Joe Joyce bucket.

Guy who is already too old even by HW standards gets handled by an older fighter who is already too old even by HW standards.

Never seen Zhang fight before as a pro but vaguely remember him from the Olympics ages ago. Surprisingly good hand speed for a guy on the edge of being potato shaped. Hard to say much about his defense because Joyce couldn't really test it from any of the highlights I've seen, most of his punches looked very slow and it seems like getting rocked early took most of the sting out of him.

I can't see Zhang beating any of the top guys but hey, that left hand is no joke so he'll probably get at least one big payday out of it.

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Never seen Zhang fight before as a pro but vaguely remember him from the Olympics ages ago. Surprisingly good hand speed for a guy on the edge of being potato shaped. Hard to say much about his defense because Joyce couldn't really test it from any of the highlights I've seen, most of his punches looked very slow and it seems like getting rocked early took most of the sting out of him.

I can't see Zhang beating any of the top guys but hey, that left hand is no joke so he'll probably get at least one big payday out of it.

I think he's guaranteed one just cause even though he beat Joyce he didn't really inherit this boogeyman aura that Joyce sorta had post Dubois ass whooping. He exposed the guy who exposed another guy. He's basically the baseline for a mandatory challenger who is good enough to get a title shot but not good enough to threaten the titlist.

• Like 1