DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

Here are some more USA Saturday Nightmare short film gems that scarred me as a child and made me the horror movie snob I am today.

Recorded Live (1975) (premiered on HBO but also saw life on USA Saturday Nightmares)

The Dummy (1982) (Here's another creepy doll thing to add to your list)

The Contraption (1977) (Featuring Rocky Horror Picture Show standout, Richard O'Brien aka Riff Raff.)

A Little Fishy (1986)

Fuck you, USA Network.

Mad love to the blog, Kindertrauma, for continuing to archive the streaming media links and / or re-upload the content so that it won't be lost in time.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

USA Saturday Nightmares!

This would've been before this, but pretty much the same concept. This was around the same time when TBS' biggest shows were wrestling, Braves games, wrestling and random college football games.

Unrelated to USA's cheap horror movies but sorta related to cheap horror movies in general: I've never really cared for the Hellraiser movies personally. Saw the first 3 about 20 years ago or so when a girl I was dating picked them for our Halloween night activity and was very underwhelmed. The point of this is, I was browsing through HBO Max last night and saw several Hellraiser movies added so I thought I would give it another chance and tried one of the newer ones called Deader. What a fucking piece of shit this movie was. I should have known when I saw Kari Wuhrer was the star but I soldiered on anyway. Jesus it was terrible. Some half-assed plot about a group of death junkies who can't die, and one of them is a descendant of whoever made the box Pinhead and his buddies live in and to be honest I just don't care enough to type the rest. Not only was this thing awful but if someone actually was a fan of the franchise I imagine they'd be pretty pissed cuz you don't even see Pinhead until the last 10 minutes or so. It feels like this was a different movie that the studio decided last minute they would shoehorn into the Hellraiser world. Anyway, I'm going back to ignoring the Hellraiser movies and will continue to claim that the only good thing that franchise ever did was spawn the Motorhead version of Hellraiser (the song).

On 1/20/2023 at 8:27 PM, HumanChessgame said:

USA Saturday Nightmares!

I could feel a wave of connections in firing in my brain that probably hadn't in decades. I forgot all about Saturday Nightmares, but that intro brought it all back. I felt like the grownups from IT coming back to Derry. Suddenly I can see the ending credits to Silk Stalkings and the opening drum of the Hitchhiker.

All of those kind of old "themed" blocks scratch a certain itch for me.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2023 at 6:47 PM, RIPPA said:

The Boogeyman

Directed by Rob Savage

I'm guessing this is very loosely based on the short story from Night Shift.

Spoiler

Mostly because the girl seems to survive encounters with the titular monster.  In the short story, the protagonist is talking to a psychiatrist about the SIDS deaths of his infant children that he believes were strangled to death by The Boogeyman.

You can watch the Dollar Baby project adaptation of The Boogeyman directed by Jeff C. Schiro on YouTube.

Edited by J.T.

Infinity Pool sneaked its way into theaters last Friday in the middle of my night duty run.  I will try to go see it on the weekend of the 11th when I transition back to day shift

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hell yes. I got a ticket for 5:45 at my local theater. I haven't seen the prior Cronenbergcito release, so this is gonna be a trip. 

I enjoyed both Antiviral and Possessor Uncut, so I am really looking forward to Infinity Pool.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Because J.T. hasn't seen it yet, I'll just say this:

What the fuck did I just watch?!

I asked myself that very same question after Antiviral and Possessor, so at least Brandon is consistent with the mind fuckery going on in his movies.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait so he has two films before this? I only knew about Possessor. Well, that's another to try and knock off the list...

Nope.  Only one movie before Possessor, but you should really watch the Uncut release to get the full sledgehammer to the brain effect.

Antiviral is just an awesome and mean spirited parable about celebrity worship.  It is unintentionally hilarious despite it being really fucking disturbing.

Edited by J.T.

She might have the most seductive character I've seen in a film. This is from someone who thought she looked waaaaaaay too young and frankly plain-Jane in X (still haven't seen Pearl), which is fairly weird to me. If she wants Oscars for horror films, give her one. 

I mentioned this somewhat in the Business thread but due to the Paramount+ Showtime merger - both Let the Right One In (the TV Series) and Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone are getting removed from their respective streaming services

It isn't clear if they have been removed yet - but if they are on your "To Watch List", do it ASAP

• Like 1

Knock at the Cabin arrives in theaters today (3 Feb).

Reviews are mostly positive.

The limited release of The Outwaters starts on the 9th, which I believe is my last day of night duty.  I might be able to go see that next weekend if it is showing in my area.

Watched the viral sensation Skinamarink last night.

About 15-20 minutes in my wife exclaimed, "Did David Lynch write this?", to which I had no reply but a chuckle.

There were a few moments early on that had a very nostalgic feel for me, but the length of the production dissipated that feeling as it wore on. (and on...)

I see where some people are losing their minds over this film, but since I lost my mind long ago it did not have the same affect on me.

Overall, I appreciate the creativity and intent behind the production, but I most likely won't add this to my physical collection.

After the last of the credits rolled I told my wife that I enjoy being baffled by David Lynch and look forward to Inland Empire on Blu-Ray coming from Criterion next month.

I give Skinamarink (2022) a rating of 5 Jim Van Bebber out of  7 E. Elias Merhige. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 8:27 AM, RIPPA said:

Now you don't have to watch the Super Bowl

I didn't watch the dumb Super Bowl anyway.  Stupid Eagles and Chiefs.   I went to see Infinity Pool last night and whoa....

So is it the most caustic fable ever about the excesses of the wealthy and the justice they are able to buy or is Brandon Cronenberg simply bugfuck crazy?

Probably a little of A and a little of B.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1