DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

Teaser trailer for Scream 6.

I await Craig H, AxB, Zimbra, Razlei, or CobraCommander posting the trailer to the Upcoming Movies Thread and not realizing that it is already here.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Teaser trailer for Scream 6.

I await Craig H, AxB, Zimbra, Razlei, or CobraCommander posting the trailer to the Upcoming Movies Thread and not realizing that it is already here.

It was posted in both the Horror and Upcoming thread... 2022 threads when in came out three weeks ago

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:18 PM, RIPPA said:

It was posted in both the Horror and Upcoming thread... 2022 threads when in came out three weeks ago

I was being mostly sarcastic as barely anyone bothers to post upcoming horror joints in the dedicated horror thread.  I actually cross-posted the teaser from the 2022 thread since it's now 2023 and Scream is arguably the biggest horror release of the year.

M3GAN was a surprise and I suspect that Evil Dead Rise will do respectable numbers, but neither of those is a mainstream crossover icon like the films in the Scream franchise are.

Edited by J.T.

This isn't Horror but I think it will find a more appreciative audience here

Lockwood & Co

It is based on the kids books. But it is supernatural themed about kid ghost hunters and it looks like a good way to ween kids into "Things That Go Bump in the Night" (which we all had our own versions of growing up)

The Outwaters

Written and Directed by Robbie Banfitch.

Huge amounts of buzz around this one.  I hope it lives up to the hype.

Limited theatrical release on February 9th and then streaming exclusively on ScreamBox.   I may have to jump on that ScreamBox limited trial offer once this thing hits the queue or see if it is available from Microsoft Store. 

I really would prefer to see it in a theater, so hopefully the Bowtie in RVA gets a reel since they seem to be able to put their hands on most of the limited release, director's cuts, and unrated versions of a lot of art house and indy first runs.

Edited by J.T.

HA! IFC is counter-programming Friday the 13th with Halloweens 1, 4 and 5. Starz-Encore Suspense has your Jason hookup until midnight. 

EDIT: Nevermind. It's John Carpenter's birthday today. Surely IFC could have nixed 4 and 5 for something he actually had a part in though.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I have no idea how Feed Me slipped under my radar in 2022, but I will probably rent it from MS Store sometime this weekend and score on some Reward Points.

Directed by Adam Leader and Richard Oakes

Starring:  Christopher Mulvin, Neal Ward, Hannah Al Rashid, and Samantha Loxley.

The true event this is based on is the consensual murder and subsequent cannibalization in Germany of willing victim, Bernd Brandes, by Armin Meiwes, better known as Der Metzgermeister (The Master Butcher).

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Wasn't there already a movie about that?

I also remember a really dodgy low budget movie I rented like 10-15 years ago about a young couple going out for a romantic trip for a weekend, because the guy wanted the girl to eat him.

Edited by elizium

I had to actually work on my telework day yesterday.  It was a nightmare.  Depending on how I feel after today's litany of mission briefings and bullshit, I will head to the Bowtie after work to go see Skinamarink.  

I kinda want to do it before the weekend because I would like to go catch a matinee of Missing at some point and the showings for Skinamarink will move from 6:20 PM to 7:45 PM.  I am old and don't like late shows at the movies.

Edited by J.T.

Just got back from Skinamarink. 

It has a really experimental and art house feel to it that will either intrigue or infuriate you depending on your level of patience.

The story (if you can call it that) centers around two small children, Kevin and Kayleigh, who wake up in the middle of the night to find that both of their parents are missing...... and that all of the doors and windows in the house leading to the outside world are gone.  I found it captivating because it taps into a very primal fear that you have as a child (i.e. being alone without your parents' protection) and you find again as a parent (i.e. the fear of being powerless to shield your children from danger).

Since the events are deliberately surreal, there are several ways to interpret exactly what the fuck is happening onscreen.

Spoiler
  • Accept at face value that something mean and supernatural has done something bad to the parents and is tormenting the children for pure sport.
  • Calculate the cruel calculus and conclude that the kids are spirits haunting their old home and that the weird imagery in the film offers clues to the nature of their demise aka something awful happened to the entire family or maybe one of the parents murdered the children..  There are hints throughout the movie that seem to indicate that the children were possibly victims of physical abuse at the hands of one of the parents.
  • Everything is metaphorical and is designed more to trigger the audience than it is to represent an actual event.

My advice is to go in with an open mind and keep your thinking cap on the entire time.  This is not a scary movie for spectators.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

We were talking about Megan and I got to give a history of creepy dolls in popular culture, from Twilight Zone to Magic to the evil Krusty doll.

Tourist Trap ruined me when I was a kid.   Store mannequins fueled my childhood night terrors.

So did this fucking shit.

Thanks for turning me into an emotional amoebae at the age of ten, USA Network.  I guess it serves me right for staying up until three in the morning when I should've been in bed.

Edited by J.T.

USA always had some interesting stuff on the early 80s.  It was late on a Saturday night and I was sicker than dog shit, couldn't sleep and USA was pretty much the only thing on. I remember seeing a bunch of weird videos and something about John Waters and Divine. It was another year or so before I discovered Radio 1990.

1 hour ago, driver said:

USA always had some interesting stuff on the early 80s.  It was late on a Saturday night and I was sicker than dog shit, couldn't sleep and USA was pretty much the only thing on. I remember seeing a bunch of weird videos and something about John Waters and Divine. It was another year or so before I discovered Radio 1990.

USA Saturday Nightmares!

• Like 2