DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

RVA is not getting the limited release for The Tank, but we will be getting The Black Demon.  We will see if I can inspire myself to set foot out of my crib during this rainy weekend to catch a matinee. 

Xfinity finally activated my Peacock access after months of arguing, so I may watch Sick, the Peacock original COVID themed slasher joint, at some point.

Annoy the anti-woke neckbeards of the world by supporting these new and recent LGBTQ+ horror joints!

Representation matters!

I have seen Huesera the Bone Woman and it is quite good!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

IT LIVES INSIDE

Directed by Bishal Dutta

Produced by Raymond Mansfield and Sean McKittrick (Us, Get Out)

Starring:  Megan Suri, Neeru Bajwa, Mohana Krishnan, Betty Gabriel

TBD 2023

So, Sick was pretty good.

It is the story of Parker (Gideon Adlon) and Miri (Beth Million), two girls riding out the early days of the COVID pandemic at rich girl Parker's parents' cabin in the woods, where naturally they are set upon by a masked killer.

Spoiler

or KILLERS as the antagonists are the parents and older brother of a student that Parker may have infected with COVID at a frat party.  The vengeful family is butchering their way through their son's contact list and murdering everyone they believe might be responsible for the boy's death.

It is a contrived plot to be sure, but at least it is original.  With all of the modern send-ups of slasher joints gone by, it is refreshing to see a slasher movie that is a direct reflection of the era it was filmed in.  Sick, for better or worse, perfectly captures the paranoid zeitgeist of the early months of the pandemic and uses it as the stage for an enjoyable mad killer movie.

Edited by J.T.

Rippa hates my post on Page 5. 

A friend of mine went to see The Black Demon over the weekend and didn't care for it.  It tries too hard to shit on the fossil fuel industry to be fun.

Oh this can fuck right off and go into Horror (though to be fair - you could describe Teresa Palmer as a Scream Queen)

The Clearing

Teresa Palmer, Miranda Otto and Guy Pearce

First two episodes drop on Hulu on May 24th and then every Wednesday after

• Like 1

Renfield was... decent. I guess? I mean, it was a good enough flick but without going into spoilers I feel like they kinda wasted Nic Cage as Dracula.

Well, I kinda hated The Tank.   After seeing the greatness of family vs. evil in Evil Dead Rise, I kinda expected the same from The Tank and I was pretty disappointed.  It is a movie without heart or teeth.   I think my expectations were too high.

• 2 weeks later...

All caught up with Yellowjackets.   Lots of weird mystical shit going on this season and the cannibalism is on full display.  Yeesh.

Episode 6 entitled "Qui" is particularly hard to watch.

Spoiler

Teen Shauna gives birth to a boy.  We know that adult Shauna's only child is a daughter, so we know the unthinkable is probably going to happen and it does.  

Shauna's son is stillborn and ... well... you can figure the rest out for yourself..  All that time and Shauna never told her husband, Jeff, what happened to their child.   Yow....

Three more eps to go before the season finale!

Edited by J.T.

Yellowjackets is really hitting it's stride for me. It's my favorite show on right now. They give just enough of the mystical stuff each episode to keep me engaged. The antler queen has appeared as two people in the current time line so far, and I'm betting we see it in all of them at one point or another. I never watched Lost so this might be scratching an itch for me that a lot of people have already had fulfilled.

Only two episodes left. Shit has hit the fan in Shauna's story. Can't wait to see what the next twists are.

• Like 1

Pearl debuts on Showtime next week.

Still no release date for MaXXXine.

I haven't checked my SHO on Demand queue.  Pearl might already be available.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Pearl's on right now but they're not showing any further showtimes, so they're probably trying to get some Buys out of it before putting it back on the roster. I missed half of it, of course. You can On Demand it though! (...probably for a price)

EDIT: Oh and eXistenZ by Cronenberg is on Showcase (one of the Showtime package channels) at 2 AM Central if you haven't seen it before, like me. Nominally it's science fiction but it's still Cronenberg.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 10:54 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yellowjackets is really hitting it's stride for me. It's my favorite show on right now. They give just enough of the mystical stuff each episode to keep me engaged. The antler queen has appeared as two people in the current time line so far, and I'm betting we see it in all of them at one point or another. I never watched Lost so this might be scratching an itch for me that a lot of people have already had fulfilled.

Only two episodes left. Shit has hit the fan in Shauna's story. Can't wait to see what the next twists are.

Lost aired its first episode 20 years ago next year. So one could say this is scratching an itch that hasn't been scratched in a while.

But to further illustrate your point - I make Lost references to my wife just about every episode we watch of Yellowjackets. In fact during this last episode I yelled "This is their Hatch!" - which you obviously won't get, but some other person who has seen Lost and is watching Yellowjackets will get it.

I've got a few minor quibbles about this season, only because I felt like it felt there was some wheel spinning for the modern day characters. But that was more so they'd all end up where they are now, I suppose.

Elijah Wood is great and a welcome addition. I love every moment we learn more about his character - and he and Ricci are awesome together.

Also, this whole cast is crazy good. All the young actresses could probably carry the show on their own at this point.

• Like 1

Season finale of Yellowjackets is Sunday night.  Puzzle shows have the worst luck maintaining their mystique.  Here's hoping that there will be enough questions answered to fill in the gaps and enough new ones raised to make us look forward to the next season.

I have enjoyed S2 quite a bit.  We assume that the present day is the main story, but now it feels like the aftermath of the story and the "flashbacks" are where the real action is happening.  I fear that this show will begin to fall apart once they choose between the "we were all bugfuck crazy" and "it was the wendigo" reasons for the cannibalism.

Edited by J.T.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Season finale of Yellowjackets is Sunday night.  Puzzle shows have the worst luck maintaining their mystique.  Here's hoping that there will be enough questions answered to fill in the gaps and enough new ones raised to make us look forward to the next season.

I have enjoyed S2 quite a bit.  We assume that the present day is the main story, but now it feels like the aftermath of the story and the "flashbacks" are where the real action is happening.  I fear that this show will begin to fall apart once they choose between the "we were all bugfuck crazy" and "it was the wendigo" reasons for the cannibalism.

Hope you enjoyed it. We did.

What I found fascinating was that they kind of cleaned slate for the present day girls, with no big active mystery driving us into next season. It sounds like it'll be about whether what happened in the woods will actually make things better for them. I'm assuming this will concern Van more than anyone, and if that happens we'll see if miracles make believers.

Instead the show decides to leave the big question to the past with the last scene. It seems like the obvious culprit would be a red herring. But even that mystery doesn't feel very important.

Even though I think this season was a bit of a mixed bag, I think they managed to do something really smart. "The Puzzle" no longer feels important. Instead I'm more interested in just the characters and how they interact with one another. Shauna and Callie's relationship going forward. How does Taisa fix her fucking life. Misty and Elijah Wood's relationship. And even in the past I'm interested in Natalie and Shauna's weird tension with one another.

It may have felt like a bit of a drop off from season 1, but I think it was necessary to get the focus off of The Puzzles, and on to the People. A little disappointment now, to potentially avoid one big deflating disappointment later.

I was very satisfied with the season finale of Yellowjackets.   Glad it ended with something resembling resolution rather than depending on a dumb cliffhanger to bridge the gab in between seasons.  Some stuff I expected to happen actually happened and other stuff totally caught me off guard.

• Like 1

The Boogeyman starts this Friday and it is currently 68% Fresh at RT.  I am sure the niche audience will check it out over the weekend, but the lion's share of this weekend's box office will probably end up in the pocket of Miles Morales.

Just watched Us (2019) by Jordan Peele.

He's an incredible director of horror movies, hard to believe he spent so much of his career doing comedy. But it's the sort of movie that you don't want to even discuss in spoilery terms, because someone who hasn't seen it might read them, and the story is far better told by a genius movie director and his outstanding cast, than by a guy on a message board.

You should watch it.

Talk to Me looks promising,but it's Scary A24 so why would it not look promising?

It is weird seeing Dalton as an adult in the Insidious:  Red Door trailers.  The MRI scene may be the scene that convinces me that I have to go see this.

Edited by J.T.