DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

I am sure this was posted somewhere else but I am going to put it here

Monster Factory - exactly what it sounds like. Documentary about Monster Factory

Danny Cage, Twitch, Bobby Buffet, Gabby Ortiz, and Goldy are the wrestlers who are going to be featured

So after almost 20 years in the business of doing the same shit and frankly even worse in some cases, people apparently are now bothered about Sexxy Eddy and what he does in the ring.    At the Sunday night GCW show, he did his moonsault while naked with his hands covering his dick move against Matt Cardona.    Now people are screaming WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.     Even though it was an 18+ show on the ticket to begin with and in Toronto  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

I had no idea Sexxxy Eddy was still around.  It’sprobably been 10-15 years since I heard his name.

isn’t GCW a hardcore fed?  Blood, barb wire, light tubes, that sort of thing?  I only watched one GCW match around the time Cardona became champion, but, from what I vaguely remember, it was a bloody CZW-like affair that convinced me I didn’t really need to see more of CZW.  I mean, yeah, Eddy’s gimmick is pretty crass and tasteless, so I wouldn’t mind it going away, but he’s been doing the same stuff for 20+ years and I personally would prefer a naked moonsault to a dude getting his forehead carved open with a broken light tube.

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I had no idea Sexxxy Eddy was still around.  It’sprobably been 10-15 years since I heard his name.

isn’t GCW a hardcore fed?  Blood, barb wire, light tubes, that sort of thing?  I only watched one GCW match around the time Cardona became champion, but, from what I vaguely remember, it was a bloody CZW-like affair that convinced me I didn’t really need to see more of CZW.  I mean, yeah, Eddy’s gimmick is pretty crass and tasteless, so I wouldn’t mind it going away, but he’s been doing the same stuff for 20+ years and I personally would prefer a naked moonsault to a dude getting his forehead carved open with a broken light tube.

They are a mix, you absolutely will get some hardcore to deathmatch stuff and they do deathmatch shows like their annual Tournament of Survival.  But their March 17th Eye for an Eye show, where Masha won their title, had matches like Bandido-Gringo Loco, Blake Christian-Jack Cartwheel, Willie Mack-Tony Deppen, and Alex Shelley/Kushida-Mike Bailey/Jordan Oliver. Haven't seen it, but all those matches seem fun as fuck. Some shows skew more hardcore, some don't.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer like "you absolutely need to be watching GCW" or "you need to avoid them at all costs" but I feel like their shows can vary quite a bit in tone

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

Super huge bummer as Lufisto just pulled out of her bookings this weekend, presumably for a concussion, as her tweet just said she would explain further later as she was advised not to view screens for the next couple days. Her last two matches were against Mickie Knuckles and Kasey Kirk, so one would assume she got hurt in one of them. Both matches were great, the Kirk match in particular was pretty brutal (and ended when Brandon Kirk used POCKET SAND! against Lufisto). I'm really gutted, she's a bucket list wrestler for me.

On 4/7/2023 at 2:00 PM, elizium said:

Super huge bummer as Lufisto just pulled out of her bookings this weekend, presumably for a concussion, as her tweet just said she would explain further later as she was advised not to view screens for the next couple days. Her last two matches were against Mickie Knuckles and Kasey Kirk, so one would assume she got hurt in one of them. Both matches were great, the Kirk match in particular was pretty brutal (and ended when Brandon Kirk used POCKET SAND! against Lufisto). I'm really gutted, she's a bucket list wrestler for me.

That sucks. Saw her last month near Jackson MS facing Kamille for the NWA women's title.

Great match that happened in front of at most 140 people. 

On 4/13/2023 at 5:59 PM, bobholly138 said:

That sucks. Saw her last month near Jackson MS facing Kamille for the NWA women's title.

Great match that happened in front of at most 140 people. 

It was a bummer, but the show ended up still being good. They replaced her with Seleziya Sparx, who is never heard of but she had a really fun match with Jody. Still not a replacement for LuFisto, but what are you supposed to do under the circumstances?

The Billington Bulldogs were also cool to see. The shorter one who really looks like Dynamite was impressive. They even played along with Red Hot Summer’s antics. RHS shot off a bunch of confetti before the match which filled the ring and seemed pretty dangerous to wrestle on actually. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the issue with Shlak isn't that he is a neo-nazi it is that his friends were out and out nazis.  Or at least pretending to be ones.  It is guilt by association but man that association is a huge problem

In better news, this years SCI Tournament is shaping up good including this match that I never thought I wanted to see until now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard Holliday returned after the main event at Beyond Wrestling Thirty (and Under). He announced that he's now in remission from Lymphona and will be returning to the ring soon.

• Like 4

I'm having a heck of a time trying get stuff to embed but suffice to say as an old school HWA fan (as evidenced by my profile pic) I'm extremely excited for the Jon Moxley vs. Jake Crist match this Saturday for Revolver. I saw them wrestle each other in 2008 in a cage match in a gritty, dilapidated and possibly haunted opera house with maybe 100 people in attendance. It was a wild ass match with blood, chains and grill forks involved. Revolver posted the match on their YouTube too (albeit they have the wrong date and city on it). https://youtu.be/2MUnG08vn5U

I also wrote up a piece about their history for those who aren't/weren't aware of it or just needed a refresher on it. https://wrestleinn.com/2023/05/01/12-years-in-the-making-the-story-of-jon-moxley-vs-jake-crist/

I still want to find their first HWA match against each other from the summer of 2008. I think it's on one of the HWA Best of DVDs I have? Not sure. HWA footage is a pain in the ass to try to find.