DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, StarChief EagleDemon said:

How much Mountain Dew product placement is everyone anticipating for the Pitch Black (TM) match?

There are a lot of Mountain Dew variants that sound like they could be matches in the future. A Code Red match? A Spark match? A Baja Blast match?

Ain’t seen nothing yet. Strangely all they had in bottles at concessions was Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Orange Crush

1 hour ago, Red King said:

20 announced participants for the Men's Rumble so far. 12 for the Women's.

Temper your expectations.

Fightful Select reported the Men's Rumble opening the show for the first time. Have to see if that is true for ourselves.

The Royal Rumble match, men's or women's should always go on last. That's the whole draw to the show, it only happens here unlike world title matches. Only interested in the Royal Rumble matches on the 2023 card. Wish there were more slots for surprise entrants in reply to Red King's last post. That's a staple of the Royal Rumble matches when well done along with the longest lasting participant.

If Roman Reigns/Kevin Owens headlines, something big after must be happening like the return of the Rock. Remember the 2006 Royal Rumble when Kurt Angle/Mark Henry was in the main event because Undertaker came out and broke the ring with lightning?

Edited by The Natural

That was a mid show bookended by 2 great overall matches.  THe Bloodline stuff was amazing.

Inject the Bloodline-verse intersecting with the ridiculousness of the Cody-verse INTO MY VEINS!

• Like 3

Men's Rumble: Bobbo got Brock out! Nice to Booker T in a WWE ring again. Cody WON ahhahahahah. Based.

The Moutain Dew Bray match: Interesting visuals. Bray sure has lot of gimmicks. I've recently read the Fiend is forever dead.

The Belair wins again match: spoopy Bliss is coming back.

Women's Rumble: KANA! Ugh Nia Jax. Disappointed Liv lost.

Roman winning was obvious. The beatdown of Sami was something special.

That last 20 minutes was…Jesus Christ. 

Gunther staking his early position in the 2023 wrestler of the year race. That was a magnus opus.

Elsewhere, 1997 wet mullet, Lowrider-themed Eddie Guerrero might be the sleaziest wrestler of all time. Papi is looking down proudly at the absolute shit stain, S-tier slimeball Dominic has become. Holy shit.

But yeah that ending legitimately deserves an Emmy or Oscar or whatever the fuck

• Like 7

What an ending. The pop when Sami Zayn hit Roman Reigns with the chair saving Kevin Owens. Jey Uso's reaction. The remaining Bloodline taking out Sami. "Fuck you, Roman" chants. Magnificent.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, The Natural said:

I'm really hoping this is the first Women's Royal Rumble with someone going an hour. Bianca Belair went the closest at 56:52 in 2021.

We haven't had a man going an hour since Daniel Bryan at the Greatest Royal Rumble 2018, 1:16:05 which is insane. That's a record that will never be beat like Santino Marella lasting a second in the 2010 Royal Rumble match. The longest a winner went was Rey Mysterio's 1:02:12 in 2006.

The last man to go an hour in a traditional 30 man was Chris Jericho's 1:00:13 in 2017.

I got my wishes!

Rhea Ripley and Liv Morgan at 1:01:11 (2023). Both went the entire match. First women to do the hour. Bianca Belair previously held the record, 56:52 (2021). Only five have won from #1: Shawn Michaels (1995), Chris Benoit (2004), Rey Mysterio (2006), Edge (2021) and Rhea Ripley (2023). Five have won from #30: The Undertaker (2007), Shawn Michaels (2008), Triple H (2016), Brock Lesnar (2022) and Cody Rhodes (2023).

I said Daniel Bryan's 1:16:05 record (2018) will never be beaten, GUNTHER came close at 1:11:25 (2023). I really can't see GUNTHER's getting topped in a traditional Royal Rumble match. Really going to go some there. The previous longest was Rey Mysterio's at 1:02:12 (2006). Mysterio's is the most by a winner. GUNTHER's the first to do the hour since Chris Jericho's 1:00:13 (2017).

Only 10 entrants have ever done 60 minutes:

Ric Flair, 1:00:02 (1992).

Chris Jericho, 1:00:13 (2017).

Triple H, 1:00:16 (2006).

Bob Backlund, 1:01:10 (1993).

Rhea Ripley and Liv Morgan, 1:01:11 (2023).

Chris Benoit, 1:01:35 (2004).

Rey Mysterio, 1:02:15 (2006).

GUNTHER, 1:11:25 (2023).

Daniel Bryan, 1:16:05 (2018).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

You could sum this show up as decent matches with foregone conclusions.

The rumble has been my favorite event for almost as long as I've been a fan and the men's match was one of the better ones I can remember in the past few years. THere was a minimal amount of fuckery in the eliminations, no lame surprise entrants, and a career-making performance from Gunther. As the match progressed and Gunther managed to hold off being eliminated I thought he might end up being this year's iron man but never figured he'd go the distance. Cody winning was pretty much a foregone conclusion but there were a few moments towards the end I thought they might actually give it to Gunther instead. Did Kofi get legit hurt? It looked like he ate shit pretty hard when he hit that chair on his way out. And what busted open Gunther's back?

I didn't pay much attention to the Pitch Black match, but it the match itself was less dumb than I thought it would be. The aftermath not so much.

Alexa/Bianca was fine but unmemorable.

There were a couple segments of the women's rumble I missed on account of distractions, but it was a solid match for the most part. They really put Rhea over strong, and she was the right person to win. Not sure how I feel about the mist spot at the end though. Liv Morgan going the distance was a bit of a surprise. Of all people they could bring back they go with Nia Jaxx? I hope that was just a one-off.

It says a lot when a musical act can be described as the wish.com version of Kid Rock.

This may be an unpopular opinion around here, but The Bloodline is way past its sell-by date. I like all the members as far as in-ring work goes and Sami's antics are good for a chuckle, but their interminably long entrance and the same promos every week have long since gotten old. The problem lies with the upper office in this case as they've done nothing to establish a fresh act to win the titles. The big question of the match wasn't who was going to win, but how Sami would play into it. Then the post-match beatdown happened and I actually started to have some interest in the Bloodline again. I was going to kvetch about a Rumble match not being the main event, but there's no way that angle could not be the ending to a show.

• Like 2

Just now, Eivion said:

So Cody is totally losing to Roman on Night 1 while Sami beats Roman on Night 2, right? Like anything else is just dumbass at this point.

I want that to happen but think it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn at Elimination Chamber in Zayn's hometown instead.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I want that to happen but think it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn at Elimination Chamber in Zayn's hometown instead.

They could do that, but having Zayn win the Chamber match would be much smarter. 

• Like 1