DVDVR Message Board

2023 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

In addition, Sean Strickland is replacing Kelvin Gastelum due to injury against Nassourdine Imavov on this week's Fight Night card. Fight will still be five rounds but it will now be contested at 205 lbs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waffle said:

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

https://twitter.com/JoseYoungs/status/1614457125333512192

"Dana White confirms the UFC has officially released heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou" and Jones vs. Gane is happening as above

Two days before my birthday on the 6th of March, one day UK time. I'd love to see Jon Jones starched on the Octagon canvas as an early birthday present by Cyril Gane. Sucks UFC's lost Francis Ngannou.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Two days before my birthday on the 6th of March, one day UK time. I'd love to see Jon Jones starched on the Octagon canvas as an early birthday present by Cyril Gane. Sucks UFC's lost Francis Ngannou.

I don’t believe any of the crap Dana was spewing last night about Francis. A guy that did 600,000 buys on PPV was somehow being offered more money than they paid Brock? Yeah okay. I am happy for Francis though that he’s getting the hell away from them so he can get whatever amount he’ll be paid to box Tyson Fury. Plus if Gane does beat Jones it’s hard to claim he’s a legitimate champ since we all watched Ngannou beat him last year. The check they’d have to cut Francis to come back for that fight would probably be bigger than whatever they’d been offering him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I don’t believe any of the crap Dana was spewing last night about Francis. A guy that did 600,000 buys on PPV was somehow being offered more money than they paid Brock? Yeah okay. I am happy for Francis though that he’s getting the hell away from them so he can get whatever amount he’ll be paid to box Tyson Fury. Plus if Gane does beat Jones it’s hard to claim he’s a legitimate champ since we all watched Ngannou beat him last year. The check they’d have to cut Francis to come back for that fight would probably be bigger than whatever they’d been offering him.

I don't with Uncle Dana either. Agree on the rest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I don't with Uncle Dana either. Agree on the rest.

Here’s a question I have for you as a fellow UFC fan. If Endeavor were to get rid of Dana (which they obviously won’t) who would you want to see as UFC President? I read some comments at MMAfighting, and the majority seemed to want DC. Some were pitching Rogan, and I don’t see that turning out any better than what they currently have. 

11 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

DC? Rogan? Do people think of Dana as an authority character like Mr. McMahon or Teddy Long?

Over at the site I mentioned it felt that way. The only other name really thrown about was Chael. And while I think he’s entertaining I don’t think he’d be worthy of an interview much less that job.

Don't really see a scenario where Ngannou fights Tyson Fury. At this point in Tyson's career where they can barely put together actual meaningful fights with real boxers, I think it's mostly window dressing. I do expect Bellator and PFL to come calling and allow Ngannou to one off exhibition fights.

8 minutes ago, waffle said:

Could Francis v. Fury even get sanctioned?!?

Looking at the landscape of MMA, there's really not much out there for Francis. 

Fury cannot come to the States and the UK wouldn't sanction it. Maybe they do some exhibition bout or something wacky. Otherwise, I don't see it happening when Fury can fight Joshua or Joe Joyce or someone else.

As for MMA, I mean if Bellator isn't trying to go after him so they can eventually put him on CBS, then I dunno what the hell they're doing. I expect do PFL to make a play for him just because it seems like they are snatching up all the free agents Bellator probably should be signing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I’m just reading up on Dana’s other announcement from last night. In what universe is signing Jon Jones to a new 8 fight deal a good investment? Hell at the rate he’s been fighting he’ll be 50 before they even get to the fourth fight.

Most of the notable fighters are under long term contracts, regardless of their activity or inactivity.

Moreover, the money isn't guaranteed so it's not really an investment other than they expect you to honor that contract like they honor how much they're going to pay you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As for MMA, I mean if Bellator isn't trying to go after him so they can eventually put him on CBS, then I dunno what the hell they're doing. I expect do PFL to make a play for him just because it seems like they are snatching up all the free agents Bellator probably should be signing.

Francis v. Ryan Bader just looks insane on paper. 

10 minutes ago, waffle said:

Francis v. Ryan Bader just looks insane on paper. 

Well, it's a mismatch on paper and likely in reality especially since Ngannou's defensive wrestling is much better since he's moved to Vegas fulltime to train. However, Bader has to put together a better resume at HW than a bunch of guys who have just been milling around the division. A good LHW can pretty much beat a bunch of mediocre or past their prime HWs you would hope.

That's why I don't expect Gane to be starching out someone like Jon Jones even 2 or 3 years out of the game. Gane is a good heavyweight don't get me wrong, but he hasn't exactly been knocking out killers. No matter who wins I expect a 25 minute tactical battle.

23 hours ago, LF2 said:

I read some comments at MMAfighting, and the majority seemed to want DC. Some were pitching Rogan, and I don’t see that turning out any better than what they currently have. 

wtf?

DC? Rogan? Sonnen? do any of these guys have any management or promotional or live event experience? they would all be absolutely terrible choices. 

i thought it was pretty well known that they (Dana/Endeavour) have been grooming Hunter Campbell to be taking over. If they HAD to choose someone from the MMA world, one of the main coaches at a major gym would be the only semi-reasonable answer. MAYBE a high profile manager, but that seems like a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:07 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

https://twitter.com/JoseYoungs/status/1614457125333512192

"Dana White confirms the UFC has officially released heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou" and Jones vs. Gane is happening as above

Yet another reason it's time for Dana White to go. The way he's managed the Francis Ngannou issue has been abject terrible. Dude is your reigning heavyweight champion and you can't keep him happy and active. Something is not right here. They were the ones that pushed him so hard when he lost to Stipe Miocic and hailed him as the second coming of Mike Tyson. Now you don't want to pay him big money? Also why shouldn't he want to be paid more money than Brock Lesnar? He's got a better record than Lesnar did. 

Even if he signs Jones to a new contract, White has tremendously failed on that front as well. The fight to make at one point was Jones vs. Ngannou and White failed on that front as well. What happened to putting on the fights the fans wanted to see.

It's time to face facts. White's time in the sport is over. I'd take Scott Coker as president at this point. 

FYI, Jon Jones hasn't had a fight in three years, and that's partially White's fault as well.

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Yet another reason it's time for Dana White to go.

It's time to face facts. White's time in the sport is over. I'd take Scott Coker as president at this point. 

As long as the UFC is making more money than they have ever made, they won't be any grand designs to replace Dana unless Dana himself wants to leave. Moreover, it doesn't help that structure above him got their education about fight sport from Dana. So they would basically replace Dana White with an offbrand Dana White unfortunately.

• Sad 1