DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2023

I never understood the "Man in a Suit" complaint applying to Iron Man 3, because I took it as, Iron Man 1 concludes with Stark (in power armour) vs Stane (in bigger power armour). Iron Man 2 concludes with Stark & Rhodes (both in power armour) vs Vanko (in bigger power armour). Iron Man 3 concludes with Stark (in and out of various suits of power armour) vs Killian (not even wearing a shirt). It's different.

The Ant-Man movies are running on Rudd’s substantial charisma, the character having a great gimmick, and heist being a good premise for any movie. They’re upper-tier Marvel for me. But I don’t take such things as seriously as some do. They’re breezy watches.

Gonna wait for D+ on the new one though. Quality drop post-Endgame, gotten used to not going out to the cinema so often, and their theatrical exclusively window disincentives going to see anything. I’d be shocked if I’m purchasing a ticket to see any MCU stuff until Kang Dynasty. Of the handful of movies I’ve gone to see on the big screen during the pandemic, I haven’t bothered with a single Marvel and don’t regret that choice. 

I’d share my current MCU rankings, but I’m worried Natural would want to hurt me. Spoiler: Ant-Man supremacy, Spider-Man found dead in a ditch.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Ant-Man movies are running on Rudd’s substantial charisma, the character having a great gimmick, and heist being a good premise for any movie. They’re upper-tier Marvel for me. But I don’t take such things as seriously as some do. They’re breezy watches.

Gonna wait for D+ on the new one though. Quality drop post-Endgame, gotten used to not going out to the cinema so often, and their theatrical exclusively window disincentives going to see anything. I’d be shocked if I’m purchasing a ticket to see any MCU stuff until Kang Dynasty. Of the handful of movies I’ve gone to see on the big screen during the pandemic, I haven’t bothered with a single Marvel and don’t regret that choice. 

I’d share my current MCU rankings, but I’m worried Natural would want to hurt me. Spoiler: Ant-Man supremacy, Spider-Man found dead in a ditch.

Be interesting see your rankings, where we agree and disagree on. Ditto for y'all. I'll post mine once I've seen Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022).

Definitely agree with you on the MCU quality drop post Avengers: Endgame (2019). I'm burned out on the MCU as a result of that. Phase IV is by far the worst one.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think part of the problem with Phase IV is the fact it’s been setting the table for the next two phases, so there’s been less of the interconnectedness that people got used to in Phases II & III.  If you go back to Phase I, they were mostly stand alone movies and most people would rank most of those films in the lower end of their rankings.  My hunch is they’ll start dropping more stuff for the next trilogy phase during this one so that they don’t have to do so similar table setting in Phase VII.

That said, my opinion on Phase IV should 100% be taken with a grain of salt because I was wondering the other day why people were so down on IV when I realized the only movies I’ve actually seen from this phase are Strange & No Way Home, while I’ve seen and enjoyed all of the Disney+ shows. 🤷🏻

Edited by JonnyLaw

How come Black Panther 2 isn't on D+ yet? The short window between cinema release and streaming isn't that short this time. It disappeared from cinemas ages ago (over here, at least).

On 1/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, AxB said:

I never understood the "Man in a Suit" complaint applying to Iron Man 3, because I took it as, Iron Man 1 concludes with Stark (in power armour) vs Stane (in bigger power armour). Iron Man 2 concludes with Stark & Rhodes (both in power armour) vs Vanko (in bigger power armour). Iron Man 3 concludes with Stark (in and out of various suits of power armour) vs Killian (not even wearing a shirt). It's different.

Didn’t he blow up all his suits at the end of IM3? Not disagreeing with your point just feel like I might be misremembering such nonsense. 

Iron Man 3 was supposed to be how they retired the character. He destroyed all of his suits and got the metal shards removed from his chest so he no longer needed the big electric magnetic doohickey. But then RDJ agreed to come back and be in more movies, so Tony Stark relapsed into his Messiah Complex. 

I always read it as Tony needing to protect the world at all costs and not being able to leave being a superhero behind. No need for all of the suits when his suit going forward used nanotech.

If you were Tony Stark and not only saw what was through that portal in the Avengers, but then were given a vision of the future by Wanda, would you be able to leave it all behind when you knew you could do something about it?

• Like 3

There's also the matter of SHIELD melting down and really being HYDRA a few weeks after IM3 that might've changed his mind, since the whole deal was the Avengers were shutting down all the known HYDRA bases left in Winter Solder's aftermath and Tony "retired" after AoU again, only to get drug back in during Civil War.

i thought Ant-Man (2015) was a very good heist film and Paul Rudd was a lot of fun in it. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

i probably enjoyed Ant-Man & the Wasp (2018) at the time, although i haven't watched it since, and the only details i can remember are that it involved a "Ghost" and introduced Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne. i would vaguely rank it as lower mid tier based on my non-recollection of it. Should give it a rewatch before i go check out Quantumania, but i likely won't. I expect that, like most of the more recent Marvel films, i will like it enough but not really love it.  i think Shang-Chi was my favorite of Phase 4. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

I've seen that a couple times and it makes sense, he was SecState in Infinity War, and the alert in the post-credit of Ant-Man and Wasp indicated that at least the Pres and VP got snapped, so there's a chance either the line got to him then, or everything having to do with the Blip let him ride it to the White House.

It also lines up with what what we know now the CIA is doing with capes and Damage Control's overzealousness.  

• Like 2

Will say I'm feeling MCU burnout as to me it feels quantity is getting prioritised over quality. Might be alone with that POV. Too much of a good thing as the saying goes. Still need to see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Highly doubt I'll be seeing any of the three MCU films at the cinema this year. I'll wait for Disney+ instead. I will see The Flash just for Michael Keaton's return as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse in the cinema.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1