DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

4 hours ago, elizium said:

Would Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness count? Where Bob Roop became Maya Singh and Mark Lewin became Purple Haze but were still acknowledged as who they were before, just corrupted versions of themselves?

And Mike Davis as the Real American Dream. 

there’s also the Midnight Rider/Stagger Lee thing. Bob Armstrong/The Bullet being the longest lasting of those, but it had practical reasons post weight lifting accident. 

I wouldn’t really count Masked Rider type gimmicks, since that wasn’t supposed to be a split personality, just someone getting around a stipulation. 

Bullet maybe tho? I’m not crazy familiar, but wasn’t it sometimes used for times he got super pissed. Like you fucked up and get The Bullet? Kind of like Finn Balor’s Demon being a personality that’s brought out of him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red King said:

Hulk Hogan had another back surgery done, they cut some nerves. Hogan no longer feels his lower body and he requires a cane to walk.

Info from Kurt Angle's show.

I can't think of a worse source of real information than carny Hogan telling carny Angle who then tells us. We literally just saw him walking around on stage six days ago, which was the same event Kurt said that Hogan told him that. He was walking about as well as any 70 year old does (and without a cane).

Not saying he didn't have surgery and he may use a cane for stability purposes when in congested areas, but sounds like a typical exaggeration from ol Hulkster. Course, I feel bad for his situation the same I do for Mick, Funk, Muto, and others. A life of wrestling doesn't lead to healthy life, I'm more amazed when an older wrestler isn't broken.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sonny Onoo found the only Polaroid camera still existing in Japan. I wonder if he just has a trunk full of those in his closet. 

Polaroids are being made again, they’re super hip with Gen Z teens

As a fan of the ol wrestling, these feel like the good times:

WWE is doing very well at what it does (arena shows, big four PPV's, celebrities, main event drama). The summer blockbuster superhero movies of wrestling.

AEW is doing very well at what it does (weekly episodic tv, in-ring action, surprises, a bit more "raw" feel). The prestige, bingewatched Netflix or HBO series of pro wrestling.

Impact is fun at what it does (goofy comedy, not taking itself too seriously, using its lower budget to its advantage). The FX comedy series of pro wrestling (though Speedball or Josh would fuck you up).

Ok NJPW is in a bit of a rut but hopefully this NOAH angle with Okada helps turn things around.

2023 wrestling rules!

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 9

May be an image of 6 peopleMay be an image of 6 people and people standingMay be an image of 7 people, people standing and crowd

TUA'S REVENGE!!! Imagine seeing GOA vs Doctor Death and Scott Steiner 

After getting a DQ win over Bad Dude Tito a few months ago Toa has his back up! Match goes to a double count out but Toa demands a rematch No count outs fall count anywhere!

Also Appearing where Chris Bey and Kid bandit 

• Like 2

I plan on getting my niece a Polaroid soon. She likes all the physical media stuff in my house.

I think I’ve gave my minority opinion on Mongo before but I could be wrong. He wasn’t a professional wrestler but there were more dangerous guys in the ring most nights on TV, let alone in history. He had 1 really bad accident with Regal. Whoever’s idea it was to let an untrained wrestler do a pileriver is whose dangerous IMO. 

I want to say One Man Gang, Abyss, and Barry Darsow of all people had that going on somewhere. Then there was those few weeks Len Denton wrestled on Nitro and Tenay was like yeah he was The Grappler.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 1:10 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I can't think of a worse source of real information than carny Hogan telling carny Angle who then tells us. We literally just saw him walking around on stage six days ago, which was the same event Kurt said that Hogan told him that. He was walking about as well as any 70 year old does (and without a cane).

Not saying he didn't have surgery and he may use a cane for stability purposes when in congested areas, but sounds like a typical exaggeration from ol Hulkster. Course, I feel bad for his situation the same I do for Mick, Funk, Muto, and others. A life of wrestling doesn't lead to healthy life, I'm more amazed when an older wrestler isn't broken.

Hogan had been using a walking stick for a while now. Idk if he’s now using a cane. This pic was from Dec 2021

I'm in no way doubting Hogan is not in great shape, he admits as such, just saying Angle may have been exaggerating a bit. It was just funny timing for Angle to say that just days after everyone in America saw him walking around on stage without a cane.

Hogan hit FB this morning, on my end amyway. Reading through some of the comments...it seems like Hogan is still Hogan walking cane or no walking cane. The truth of that matter, whatever it may be, sure won’t be known from coming out of his mouth. Not that I go to FB comments for the truth but between them and Hogan...aw you know. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

Didn't Barry Darsow wrestle in all three gimmicks once on WCWSN?

Each week, he came out in a different gimmick for three straight weeks, IIRC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s no cane - that’s Andre the Giant’s femur bone, brother. Andre left it to the Hulkster in his will after his tragic death via bodyslam at Wrestlemania III.

• Haha 6