DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

9 hours ago, Casey said:

hey guys I’m addicted to Vampire Survivors. That’s all, that’s the post. Poe Ratcho is a beast if you choose the right power-ups.

I hate to port beg, but this is the exact type of game that needs to be on the Switch. I want to play it, but not on a phone.

I really need to get a Steam Deck, I guess.

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I hate to port beg, but this is the exact type of game that needs to be on the Switch. I want to play it, but not on a phone.

I really need to get a Steam Deck, I guess.

I don’t know if you have an Xbox but I believe it’s on Game Pass/Cloud Gaming too.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Currently actively playing: Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy VI (pixel remaster on Steam version)

Have saves that I should get back to someday in: FF II, IV, VII remake, X-2, XII

Want to start someday: Jedi Fallen Order, Horizon Zero Dawn, Crisis Core remake

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I don’t know if you have an Xbox but I believe it’s on Game Pass/Cloud Gaming too.

I don't have one yet, but it's the sort of game I prefer handheld anyway.

I went out of my way to charge a DS4 and sync it to my phone's Bluetooth. That's how addictive this thing is. I can't do the optical joystick, though.

Going through Infamous: First Light and I wanted that to be my last Platinum of 2022.

Instead it was....ZJ The Ball (Level 1) on PS4. A game (if it could be called that) that took 3 minutes to Platinum.

I'm probably going to work on Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on PS3 then start doing stuff I've held off on doing like ICO, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry 3, Heavy Rain, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, etc.

Last night I almost, almost pulled the trigger on getting the highest tier Steam Deck. I could afford it without getting much grief from my wife. 

Ultimately I didn’t because I’m probably addicted to having computer gadgets I won’t use and I watched enough videos about it having terrible battery life. I mean, I haven’t touched my Xbox in months and neither my daughter or me played the Switch more than a few times last year. That may all change if/when I beat Elden Ring and then I can move on from the PS5 for a little bit.

If Valve makes a Steam Deck with better battery life then at the same price point then I’ll get one.

Oh yeah, I got my daughter the Last of Us Part 1 for Christmas and we played a little of that. I pretty much noped out of that when that one tragic thing happens to Joel in the first 5 minutes.

I know everyone who has played God of War is gonna laugh because they are gonna be all "oh you are so earlier in the game" but I finally found the first (only?) vendor.

Still not sure if I will ever unlock fast travel (this fucking game better have a fast travel so I can get back to the things I found but couldn't open yet)

Meanwhile I am off to pick some flowers

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Last night I almost, almost pulled the trigger on getting the highest tier Steam Deck. I could afford it without getting much grief from my wife. 

Ultimately I didn’t because I’m probably addicted to having computer gadgets I won’t use and I watched enough videos about it having terrible battery life. I mean, I haven’t touched my Xbox in months and neither my daughter or me played the Switch more than a few times last year. That may all change if/when I beat Elden Ring and then I can move on from the PS5 for a little bit.

If Valve makes a Steam Deck with better battery life then at the same price point then I’ll get one.

SteamDeck 2 will probably be in a handful of years and by then I imagine it would cost more as well. I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, just giving some thoughts here.

The battery life isn't terrible, not really something that I notice to be honest. It could always be better, obviously. But it does help that for something like a brand new AAA title, you can have a game profile where you maybe turn down the FPS to 40, or change the TDP, or whatever else. Nothing everything needs to be ran at Ultra settings, even if it's possible. I thought for sure I'd regret buying it, since I bought a Switch in 2020 and ended up selling it maybe 5 months later because I just never used it. But this is something totally different, IMO.

Just something so cool about being able to play, for example... Marvel vs Capcom 2 and then switch to DOOM Eternal then go to Half-Life 2 and then Earthbound. On the go, no less.

My one day off this week, I could be increasing my collection level in Marvel Snap or playing in Magic events... but here I go again, loading up another Vampire Survivors run to find out what else I can unlock on this attempt. Probably the best $4 I spent last year.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I know everyone who has played God of War is gonna laugh because they are gonna be all "oh you are so earlier in the game" but I finally found the first (only?) vendor.

Still not sure if I will ever unlock fast travel (this fucking game better have a fast travel so I can get back to the things I found but couldn't open yet)

Meanwhile I am off to pick some flowers

Yes, you (eventually) get fast travel.

Another year, another log of my Platinum trophy hunting.

On 12/30/2022, I got my 273rd Platinum trophy with ZJ The Ball (Level 1) on PS4. It took 3 minutes. Why I did it, I don't know.

Today, I got my 274th Platinum trophy with Infamous First Light on PS4 and that was much better and more fun to do.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Another year, another log of my Platinum trophy hunting.

On 12/30/2022, I got my 273rd Platinum trophy with ZJ The Ball (Level 1) on PS4. It took 3 minutes. Why I did it, I don't know.

Today, I got my 274th Platinum trophy with Infamous First Light on PS4 and that was much better and more fun to do.

As someone who also got the First Light plat years ago, that might have been only marginally harder to plat than ZJ the Ball. 😅

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Haha 1

Chained Echoes is fucking great. I can already tell it’s going to be one of those games where I play it on multiple platforms. I’m absolutely dying to play it on the SteamDeck but I’m going to go all the way through it on Xbox (Gamepass) first. By the time I finish it’ll be on sale on Steam, probably.

• Like 1

One of my resolutions is to play more things to completion this year (I have so many games that I can't remember where I left off that I'm debating restarting them).

Anyways, I started Trek to Yomi last night out of curiosity thanks to Gamepass. (Also, a quick search makes it seem like it's a pretty bite sized entry at around 6 hours).

I finished the first chapter, and the game is absolutely gorgeous for what it is. The combat is fairly basic, but I'm by no means a great gamer, so I'll take a mild challenge. I'll probably piece through that over the next week or so while mixing other things in.

I also checked out the Hot Wheels section of Forza Horizon 5. That opening mission is pretty fun to navigate. I can see Horizon 4 and 5 being two games I touch more this year than I have in the past. Just fun to do while being mindless. 

Edited by Chaos

Well I discovered - the hard way - that God of War is one of those "You can explore all you want but some places will fuck your shit up in you are under levelled."

Fortunately - I have played enough video games to know to save first before touching the mysterious glowing blob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well I discovered - the hard way - that God of War is one of those "You can explore all you want but some places will fuck your shit up in you are under levelled."

Fortunately - I have played enough video games to know to save first before touching the mysterious glowing blob

I miss the old days of Fallout 2 when your little Level 7 punk ass had to sneak through a wasteland full of Level 50 Super Mutants just to get to the location marker to continue your little bullshit Level 7 fetchit quest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'm definitely going to be over-levelled while playing HZD. Killing so many mechanical animals and picking so many trees to make arrows. 

You say that, but I feel like Horizon Zero Dawn stays pretty challenging throughout its entire length,  you just haven't ran into any of the crazy enemies yet. 

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Welcome_Bear

• Like 1